Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More Goals Please - From The Rest Of The Team

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A brilliant performance against Spurs but Potter still needs to solve the problem of getting players other than Strikers & Trossard to score in the Premier League.

This could become a major issue if not remedied.

Let’s sort those set-pieces out and get our Midfielders hitting the target when they shoot.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
At least Stephens tried his luck a couple of times which is an improvement . Hopefully Mooy will score a few as he did for Huddersfield and does for the Aussies.
Goals from midfield is and has been an issue for sometime though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A brilliant performance against Spurs but Potter still needs to solve the problem of getting players other than Strikers & Trossard to score in the Premier League.

Let’s sort those set-pieces out and get our Midfielders hitting the target when they shoot.

Dale's volleys from corners was an interesting development.

It shows the intent to get the midfield contributing more.
Not sure it's more likely to score than getting a centre back on the end of a corner, but it certainly shows more flair!

el punal

It doesn’t matter if the strikers are scoring, as they did against Spurs. Mind you Stephens’ shot was on target until Vertonghen decided he wanted to be decapitated by sticking his head in the way. You’re right though, we do need a bit more from the rest of the team when it comes to scoring - maybe it’s been a lack of confidence in the past? Certainly not now though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

The limited number of goals last season, mostly came from Murray or Duffy, both of whom aren't in the side. So yes we need to be better in front of goal. Yes we were brilliant against Spurs, but before that we'd been on a barren run.

I sort of think there's been a policy around the squad last season and maybe this that if a midfielder or defender is mostly good, but useless in front of goal (looking at you Davy, but there are others) the fact that they don't offer in the final third doesn't impact their selection as that's not their primary role. I'm not a fan of this, as it's still, I believe, our goals for column that will ultimately decide our fate this season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It doesn’t matter if the strikers are scoring, as they did against Spurs. Mind you Stephens’ shot was on target until Vertonghen decided he wanted to be decapitated by sticking his head in the way. You’re right though, we do need a bit more from the rest of the team when it comes to scoring - maybe it’s been a lack of confidence in the past? Certainly not now though.

Puts quite a lot of pressure on the strikers though doesn't it. One of whom is 19 and one is about 22

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's been about 150 days since the team scored from a corner of indirect freekick.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Stephens last season didn’t shoot when he had a good opportunity and shot when it wasn’t really on. Hopefully GP can sort this lack of confidence and make him believe he will score.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Dale's volleys from corners was an interesting development.

It shows the intent to get the midfield contributing more.
Not sure it's more likely to score than getting a centre back on the end of a corner, but it certainly shows more flair!

It was very Dean (underrated) Wilkins.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
All teams should score more goals from corners and set pieces, including and particularly ourselves. The creative possibilities at dead ball situations are endless but seldom seem to go beyond near post headers (inevitably cleared by their nearest defender) or lob it up to the big guy (9/10 times cleared by their big guy). At least getting the ball straight to Stephens for a volley is an improvement but much more training ground creativity required imho.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's been about 150 days since the team scored from a corner of indirect freekick.

Bollocks

Duffy scored one against Valencia.

What's that I hear you cry? It wasn't a competitive game? Well no it wasn't. But a good number of the 150 days would have been in the summer, when we weren't playing any football

Rubbish stat of the day

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bollocks

Duffy scored one against Valencia.

What's that I hear you cry? It wasn't a competitive game? Well no it wasn't. But a good number of the 150 days would have been in the summer, when we weren't playing any football

Rubbish stat of the day
It's not my metric, but I saw it was week.

We're third in the table of not scoring behind Utd and someone else.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We should be scoring from set pieces to be fair.

We have two takers who are above average for the lower half of the Premier League. We're also forcing an above average number of corners for a lower half premier league team (can't be bothered to check that stat but I reckon it's true as we're largely playing well and getting forward and seem to be getting a few). We also have some of the biggest centre backs in the Premier League.

OK OK so that last one doesn't necessarily translate into goals.

We just look like we should be getting more than we are anyway

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Maybe it is a confidence thing, I was shouting at the TV when we played Newcastle saying "FFS SHOOOOOT!!" when Propper, Gross and Montoya were all in great positions in the box and they decide to try and find a teammate in the centre of the box, FFS shoot across the keeper, at least have a go!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Given that we have a trio of overgrown Poplar trees in defense, and they win everything in the air, you'd expect us to take more advantage of that use up front. Particularly from set plays.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's not my metric, but I saw it was week.

We're third in the table of not scoring behind Utd and someone else.

Ironically, we’d be third in the only table that counts if we’d had more goals from generally very good performances against West Ham, Newcastle & Burnley.

Goliath

Oct 7, 2019
Totally agree with this.More goals please.Propper and Stephens are NEVER going to score.As for Trossard,we can't say this early on he will get us goals for sure.It looks like he will but its early days.

Even Duff got us a few but now he doesn't play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here