Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Florida / keys

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Looking for a any recommendations for a two week holiday in Orlando then on to the Keys in November and know a few on here have been. Never been to the Keys so not sure what’s good or what to avoid?
Any help would be welcome, thanks :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can certainly help on the Orlando element.

I've been to the Keys but not for around 20 years now, although I do keep looking at going back. We probably whizzed down them a bit too fast, I'd say - doing the whole Miami - Key West trip in a single day. The stay in Key West was fantastic though - brilliant place.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Definitely worth a trip down to Key West, but make sure you drive. The drive down there is amazing, plenty to do if you are not rushing and certainly feels like you are leaving civilization behind at times (in a good way). Some things going on there in November are here.. https://www.keywestinfo.com/things-to-do-in-key-west-in-november. You'll need at least 2-3 nights there and try to stay at one of the Bed and Breakfast establishments there, rather than a chain hotel. It does get packed Thanksgiving week, but otherwise there should be a lot of choice for accommodation.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I can certainly help on the Orlando element.

I've been to the Keys but not for around 20 years now, although I do keep looking at going back. We probably whizzed down them a bit too fast, I'd say - doing the whole Miami - Key West trip in a single day. The stay in Key West was fantastic though - brilliant place.

Maybe looking at staying in a villa in Orlando? Really want to visit the Kennedy Space centre, is that far from Orlando?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Definitely worth a trip down to Key West, but make sure you drive. The drive down there is amazing, plenty to do if you are not rushing and certainly feels like you are leaving civilization behind at times (in a good way). Some things going on there in November are here.. https://www.keywestinfo.com/things-to-do-in-key-west-in-november. You'll need at least 2-3 nights there and try to stay at one of the Bed and Breakfast establishments there, rather than a chain hotel. It does get packed Thanksgiving week, but otherwise there should be a lot of choice for accommodation.

Was looking to drive down from Orlando second week , maybe via Miami for a couple of nights then on to the Keys, but not sure the best place to stay.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe looking at staying in a villa in Orlando? Really want to visit the Kennedy Space centre, is that far from Orlando?

It's about an hour East.

KSC is fantastic. We'd not been for a fair few years, returning to it a couple of years back and it's astounding. The highlight is the Atlantis exhibit. I'll not give any spoilers, but I found the whole thing very emotional - they've done an incredible job.

Try to get over there early and devote a whole day to it. Maybe head over to Cocoa Beach after - Rikki Tiki Tavern on the end of the pier is a great spot for food and/or drink - http://www.cocoabeachpier.com/dining/rikki-tiki-tavern

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Haven't been for a while but the Caribbean Club is worth a visit...just shuts early hours but basically 24/7. Sloppy Joes in Key West and swimming with the dolphins.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
It's about an hour East.

KSC is fantastic. We'd not been for a fair few years, returning to it a couple of years back and it's astounding. The highlight is the Atlantis exhibit. I'll not give any spoilers, but I found the whole thing very emotional - they've done an incredible job.

Try to get over there early and devote a whole day to it. Maybe head over to Cocoa Beach after - Rikki Tiki Tavern on the end of the pier is a great spot for food and/or drink - http://www.cocoabeachpier.com/dining/rikki-tiki-tavern

Concur with all this, felt the emotion too at the Atlantis exhibit. Just breathtaking.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's about an hour East.

We timed our visit to KSC with a rocket launch. They’re more frequent than many think.

It made an brilliant day trip from Orlando unforgettable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Miami is great for a couple of days, been there several times. Agree with the comment above about driving to Key West - great fun. Basically a 200 mile long bridge !

We stayed in a 3 storey house in Key Largo on one trip, was excellent as plenty to do both North and South within a reasonable drive (about an hour south of central Miami, easy reach of the Everglades etc). Key West is great but a bit isolated unless you want to spend all day pissed, stoned or on a boat.

Islamorada is the primary sportfishing Key if that’s your thing.

Key Largo also has an outstanding ‘swimming with Dolphins’ place (Dolphins Plus). Very different to the Disney type experience - very small groups etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's probably difficult to go wrong with villas in and around Orlando - there really is so much choice.

We stayed here for a week in July and it was a very nice place - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/23709009?source_impression_id=p3_1570642686_Wv8uInm0l0Ocf3RO

Seriously, I've just checked the prices and you can sleep 10 in there for £1k at the end of July!!! :ohmy::ohmy:

That is ridiculous compared to what you'd pay around double at least in Devon or South West etc. Blimey, I never knew. :mad:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Key Largo also has an outstanding ‘swimming with Dolphins’ place (Dolphins Plus). Very different to the Disney type experience - very small groups etc.

Not sure swimming with captive dolphins - and they are at Dolphins Plus - is a cool thing to do. Each to their own though.

(Disney don't do any dolphin swimming stuff)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seriously, I've just checked the prices and you can sleep 10 in there for £1k at the end of July!!! :ohmy::ohmy:

That is ridiculous compared to what you'd pay around double at least in Devon or South West etc. Blimey, I never knew. :mad:

I don't think it would take much shopping around to get something for a bit less too.

We only booked it up a few days in advance as we weren't sure what we were doing with that part of our trip.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's probably difficult to go wrong with villas in and around Orlando - there really is so much choice.

We stayed here for a week in July and it was a very nice place - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/23709009?source_impression_id=p3_1570642686_Wv8uInm0l0Ocf3RO

We did a last-minute week over there in February half-term and stayed here as it was pretty cheap, but it did the job just fine: http://www.floridadisneydreamvilla.com

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Apart from the usual Disney / Epcot any other places you recommend to visit. I went in 1989 we did the Disney thing and also remember RosieO’Gradys - church st station.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
See if you can win Florida

[tweet]1181712375696809984[/tweet]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Apart from the usual Disney / Epcot any other places you recommend to visit. I went in 1989 we did the Disney thing and also remember RosieO’Gradys - church st station.

If you're doing a week in Orlando, I'd suggest either doing Disney or doing Universal and bits.

WDW has four theme parks plus two water parks, and can easily fill a week alone.

Universal would fill less time, but would give you time to do other things, such as Kennedy and shopping etc.

The pricing of tickets for each of WDW and Universal is such that you really don't save much by reducing the number of days you want to do, so if you want to do WDW and Universal then you'll spend a LOT on tickets.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Love the Keys, feels like no other place in the USA. It still has that 'Frontier feel', although in the time I've been going there places like Key West are starting to get more gentrified. You definitely need a car to get around - plenty of good B&Bs and reasonably priced accommodation to stay at. Amazing sunsets at Southernmost Point and day fishing trips. The drive down there on US 1 and 7 mile bridge is memorable

Probably another one of those places to enjoy it while you can

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Love the Keys, feels like no other place in the USA. It still has that 'Frontier feel', although in the time I've been going there places like Key West are starting to get more gentrified. You definitely need a car to get around - plenty of good B&Bs and reasonably priced accommodation to stay at. Amazing sunsets at Southernmost Point and day fishing trips. The drive down there on US 1 and 7 mile bridge is memorable

Probably another one of those places to enjoy it while you can

Driving the 7-mile bridge is indeed an amazing experience but I'd recommend stopping off in a few places on your way down to Key West. Once there, watching the sunset is a tourist cliche, but has to be done. The Hemingway and Audubon houses are very interesting if you're that way inclined, and there are enough overpriced bars and restaurants to keep anyone happy if not.

If you're only passing through Miami, then you probably want Miami Beach. I lived on the mainland for 18 months and it's a fascinating city but takes a little time to get to know properly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure swimming with captive dolphins - and they are at Dolphins Plus - is a cool thing to do. Each to their own though.

(Disney don't do any dolphin swimming stuff)

My mistake then.........what do they do at Epcot in their ‘Dolphins in Depth’ experience ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here