Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk's passing

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Got to thinking about how Potter has tangibly influenced how we play.

Dunk's passing is an interesting example. Under Hughton, his trademark pass was the raking diagonal from left CB to the right touchline for Knocky, Bruno, Montoya. Looked good, helped move us up the pitch. Rarely led to a clearcut opportunity.

Under Potter, he has played two fantastic, defence splitting passes in the inside left channel. Both were assists for strikers clearly looking for that exact pass. Each contributed to goals in 3-0 wins.

Those assists for Dunk are as many (2) in 8 games than he achieved (2) in the previous 2 seasons in the EPL.

Anyone got other specific examples of how Potter has changed things?

PG

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Defenders coming forward and joining the play when we have the ball, rarely saw Duffy or Dunk stray beyond the half way line during open play under Hughton.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Propper's heat map must look very different under Potter, at times under CH you could see he wanted to get forward but wasn't allowed and passed sideways or backwards. I have seen Propper as the furthest forward player on a few occasions this season, and out wide putting in crosses.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Re Dunk’s passing. I’m convinced that having the Wing Backs stationed on both touchlines when the keeper of defenders have the ball is buying a bit more space in the middle for Dunk to find those passes through the middle or Burn or Webster to make those striding runs. Having two pacey strikers with movement is emboldening Lewis to look up, as is the current trend for high defensive lines.

The speed we move the ball from player to player is to me the single biggest change. GP is going to become more closely associated with triangles than Pythagoras. A 5 years younger Bruno would look at absolute beast in this team.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Propper's heat map must look very different under Potter, at times under CH you could see he wanted to get forward but wasn't allowed and passed sideways or backwards. I have seen Propper as the furthest forward player on a few occasions this season, and out wide putting in crosses.

Given Mooy’s form, Propper’s heat map could be in danger of looking like a massive red blob at the bottom of the west stand with a small thin yellow streak up the line towards the North Stand

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

PG

Yep, corners that do not just look for a tall centre back getting a header in. Those two shots by Stephens from the edge of the box were training ground routines I’m sure. One was on it’s way into the top corner before it knocked a Spurs player over, the other missed by a bit, but I am loving the variation all over the pitch.

Under CH, for the last five months of last season, we were that predictable that opposing managers had us sussed and countered before the game even started. Not so anymore :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think it's rocket science.

The player Dunk passes too is now expected to move forward after receiving the pass.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Dunk's passing is an interesting example. Under Hughton, his trademark pass was the raking diagonal from left CB to the right touchline for Knocky, Bruno, Montoya. Looked good, helped move us up the pitch. Rarely led to a clearcut opportunity.

Under Potter, he has played two fantastic, defence splitting passes in the inside left channel. Both were assists for strikers clearly looking for that exact pass. Each contributed to goals in 3-0 wins.

Those assists for Dunk are as many (2) in 8 games than he achieved (2) in the previous 2 seasons in the EPL.

PG

Excellent, insightful observations. So why are you posting on NSC?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Given Mooy’s form, Propper’s heat map could be in danger of looking like a massive red blob at the bottom of the west stand with a small thin yellow streak up the line towards the North Stand

Mooy's form? one good game. I dont disagree it could be hard for Davy to get back in but I wouldnt call Mooy's run of one good game form.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Maupay enables us to play like this, swap him with Muzza on Saturday and Spurs would have just pushed up, they couldn’t because if they had Maupay is quick enough to exploit it, it meant we had space to play in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the face of it, if you'd told me when Potter was appointed we'd be beating Spurs 3-0 with no Bruno, Duffy, Bernardo, Propper, Knockaert, Murray on the bench, Andone and Locadia both gone and with two academy players starting I would have thought you were mad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here