Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is a certain pick when fit?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It’s tempting to say nobody is certain of a place in the starting 11 with Potter’s funky formations and selections, but I’m not sure that’s true.

I think whatever system or opponent we play there are 4 who will always play if available

Ryan, Dunk, Webster, Stephens.

Then I’d say Montoya and Burn are 99% likely to be selected if fit. So let call it 6 places taken

That leaves 5 starting positions in a variety of possible formations between 10 players, all of whom can make a strong case to be selected.

Duffy, Propper, Alzate, Mooy, March, Gross, Bernardo, Connolly, Trossard and Maupay

It’s tempting to move Propper, Trossard and Gross to the “nailed on” list but I’m I wouldn’t bet my house that they’ll start at Villa, whereas I probably would that Dunk, Maty etc will.

The impression I get is that Bong, Murray, Ali J and Bissouma are further down the list. We don’t know how GP sees Izquierdo yet

Is that how you see it?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It’s tempting to say nobody is certain of a place in the starting 11 with Potter’s funky formations and selections, but I’m not sure that’s true.

I think whatever system or opponent we play there are 4 who will always play if available

Then I’d say Montoya and Burn are 99% likely to be selected if fit. So let call it 6 places taken

That leaves 5 starting positions in a variety of possible formations between 10 players, all of whom can make a strong case to be selected.

Duffy, Propper, Alzate, Mooy, March, Gross, Bernardo, Connolly, Trossard and Maupay

It’s tempting to move Propper, Trossard and Gross to the “nailed on” list but I’m I wouldn’t bet my house that they’ll start at Villa, whereas I probably would that Dunk, Maty etc will.

The impression I get is that Bong, Murray, Ali J and Bissouma are further down the list. We don’t know how GP sees Izquierdo yet

Is that how you see it?

What has big Shane done to upset you?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

Is that how you see it?

Yes, I think that you summed it perfectly,

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Ryan, Dunk, Stephens, Gross. Pre-printed on the teamsheet.

Mooy, Burn, Webster, Montoya, Maupay. Pencilled in at present.

Propper, Duffy, Alzate, March, Trossard, Button, Connolly, Murray. In the 18 when fit.

Bissouma, Bernardo, AliJ, Balogun, Bong, Izquierdo. Yet to prove themselves under Potter.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Propper, Duffy, Alzate, March, Trossard, Button, Connolly, Murray. In the 18 when fit.

Bissouma, Bernardo, AliJ, Balogun, Bong, Izquierdo. Yet to prove themselves under Potter.

Yep, that's pretty much my thinking too.

D

Deleted member 2719

No one should be nailed on, make them fight for it, Ryan doesn't have enough competition to push him hard IMO.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Am I right in saying that Bissouma has come off the bench in both games he's been fit for? If so I'm guessing Potter sees something in him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Am I right in saying that Bissouma has come off the bench in both games he's been fit for? If so I'm guessing Potter sees something in him.

True, but I'd be surprised if he started a match any time soon and may fall out of the 18 with the return of Propper, March, Trossard etc. The impression I get is that he's behind a few in the pecking order. Could be wrong

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Not disagreeing with you, but what's your thinking about Mooy being in front of Propper and Trossard only in the 18?

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
True, but I'd be surprised if he started a match any time soon and may fall out of the 18 with the return of Propper, March, Trossard etc. The impression I get is that he's behind a few in the pecking order. Could be wrong

He started against Chelsea. Evidently was nowhere near fit enough and was taken off at HT.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Not disagreeing with you, but what's your thinking about Mooy being in front of Propper and Trossard only in the 18?

1) I've deliberately used the words 'at present' (which I appreciate isn't completely in line with your question)
2) I do rate Mooy big time, was delighted when we signed him. He keeps the ball very well and is an intelligent player, sees passes early. He will go from strength to strength IMHO.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I don't disagree at all. Bissouma has done nothing on the pitch to suggest he deserves to start at present. Glimpses of potential, nothing more. But it seems Potter is trying to get him minutes, which suggests he's training well.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Trossard when fit is pretty nailed on in my opinion.

And I believe Mooy has moved ahead of Gross in a pecking order.... one of these will make way when Trossard is fit...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Trossard when fit is pretty nailed on in my opinion.

And I believe Mooy has moved ahead of Gross in a pecking order.... one of these will make way when Trossard is fit...

Both Mooy and Gross are important parts of the system, and deliver slightly different things. The trick will be how we accommodate Trossard back into to the team when fit. Who drops out for him.

Which means, I agree with you :)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And has Connolly edged ahead of Maupay, if one were to drop out of the team?

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
I believe the only dead certs to start if fit for the whole season are Ryan and Dunk. The rest can and probably will be rotated throughout the season dependent on form/formation/tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here