Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sunderland sack Ross.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Like the stat in the link:

“Of current teams within the top four tiers of English league football, only Liverpool (1) and Manchester City (6) have lost fewer league games (excl. playoffs) than Sunderland (7) since Jack Ross was appointed.”

So during his time there, he’s arguably been the third most successful manager across all four English leagues. And he still gets sacked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Alec McLeish and Kevin Phillips early front runners for the gig.

Looks extremely harsh from the outside looking in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barnsley have binned off Stendel today as well, 11 games in. The bloke who got them automatic promotion last season.

Sunderland have lost just twice this season, and are 6th in the table.

RIDICULOUSLY trigger-happy boards.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just on Barnsley, this is the official club statement (in full):

"Barnsley Football Club confirms that it has separated from Daniel Stendel with immediate effect. Adam Murray has been appointed caretaker manager."

Wow. Not even a thank you or an acknowledgement for all the success he brought them last season, or a good luck for the future. Wonder if summink went on there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sunderland somehow managed to pick up 85 points last season, but finish 5th! Crazy season in League 1, he's been very unlucky there. Not a great surprise for Sunderland to make such a decision though - maybe this is inspired by needing drama and conflict for their third season documentary...

All that being said - we're all guilty here of the type of comments people were making about our own firing of Hughton. We'd stayed up and made an FA Cup semi-final, so on the face of it, we should all have been happy. But the reality was that the team was far weaker than the sum of its parts and we had an uninspiring manager with no long term plan to do anything other than stay up each season, which was out of keeping with the general level of ambition at the club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Looks like a very desperate move. Smells a lot like the hidden message here is "if we dont get promoted, we are the new Bolton/Bury".

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sunderland fans did not like him. They had the highest number of draws in the league and would go for 1-0 then settle up.

Similar to Hughton really. Also talk of a take over and new owners potentially want someone else in

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sunderland fans did not like him. They had the highest number of draws in the league and would go for 1-0 then settle up.

Similar to Hughton really. Also talk of a take over and new owners potentially want someone else in
Exactly. Fans there felt he'd gone as far as he could, even after the play off final. To be fair, they have a huge fan base and have only spent one other stint in the third tier, they do expect better and it's probably not unreasonable for a club that size.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Not sure where that has come from, the owner has been out today and said that discussions are still ongoing! Strange timing with a match tonight as well, something is clearly going on in the background. I actually didnt mind him as much as some but far too many draws, he just didnt seem to have the way to kill off games. With the team we had last season and the wages we were paying its not too much to expect to go up although I know the reality of football is something very different and no one deserves to

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Sunderland forum's got a thread suggesting Poyet might go back.

Responses along the lines of "no thanks, he was a disgrace at the end", "told us our expectations were too high" and "played the last few games like he wanted the sack".

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Exactly. Fans there felt he'd gone as far as he could, even after the play off final. To be fair, they have a huge fan base and have only spent one other stint in the third tier, they do expect better and it's probably not unreasonable for a club that size.

They love their footy in the NE. I’d love Sunderland or Newcastle even to become a top 4 Champions League club at the expense of a Chelsea, Man City etc. Impossible without oil or gas reserves though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Barnsley have binned off Stendel today as well, 11 games in. The bloke who got them automatic promotion last season.

Sunderland have lost just twice this season, and are 6th in the table.

RIDICULOUSLY trigger-happy boards.

Listening to the whiney Mackem on 606 on Saturday, there was a lot of disgruntlement about the style of play.

**** me. Some of their fans still think they should be challenging for Europe. They are barely up to challenging for Hartlepool.

I was there when Bobby Zamora was unfairly set off for innocently lashing out at an inferior player. They can BURN as far as I'm concerned.

Nice stadium, though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Listening to the whiney Mackem on 606 on Saturday, there was a lot of disgruntlement about the style of play.

**** me. Some of their fans still think they should be challenging for Europe. They are barely up to challenging for Hartlepool.

I was there when Bobby Zamora was unfairly set off for innocently lashing out at an inferior player. They can BURN as far as I'm concerned.

Nice stadium, though.

Sacking a manager just 11 games into the season when you're 6th in the league, 4 points off automatic having lost only twice smacks of entitlement. I can only assume the board and fans thought that at this stage they'd be running away with it, a mile clear at the top.

Be interesting to see how it pans out from here. Derby did similar when they binned off Clement when they were well placed in the League, ludicrously declaring the reason being they weren't playing the "Derby way" (whatever THAT is), and that apparently promotion wasn't a priority that season. I mean christ.

Don't recall the BZ incident btw, but "innocently lashing out" ?? :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You make it sound like he's being unreasonable, yet you replace one or two words there and that was 70% of our fan base in March.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not sure where that has come from, the owner has been out today and said that discussions are still ongoing! Strange timing with a match tonight as well, something is clearly going on in the background. I actually didnt mind him as much as some but far too many draws, he just didnt seem to have the way to kill off games. With the team we had last season and the wages we were paying its not too much to expect to go up although I know the reality of football is something very different and no one deserves to

Donald sounds like a bit of a prat.

Gobbing off to the press about selling a majority of his stake and then taking an age to actually do it is not going to ingratiate him with the fans. Especially as he’s only owned the club for about 5 minutes.

While this is all going on he sacks the manager.

We’d be going nuts if this was Albion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All that being said - we're all guilty here of the type of comments people were making about our own firing of Hughton. We'd stayed up and made an FA Cup semi-final, so on the face of it, we should all have been happy. But the reality was that the team was far weaker than the sum of its parts and we had an uninspiring manager with no long term plan to do anything other than stay up each season, which was out of keeping with the general level of ambition at the club.

That "reality" is only your perception.

I hear a lot about CH not making the most of the squad of players he had, but I don't see it. For me, we were a bottom 5 squad for both of those seasons, and he finished near the top of the bottom 5. Many managers would have sunk without a trace with that squad. Take a look back at the horror on here that we didn't sign a striker after promotion, and were going in with Murray as our main man still. The view was generally "if we can stay in touch of survival and sign a striker in January, we may just be ok". We were much more than ok, and he did that without a decent striker being signed in the January, or the following summer, or January. Tell us that in August 2019, and we'd have never believed we were staying up.

Was it pretty? No. Was he out for survival? Yes. But I don't agree that he was given a whole host of great players that he didn't make the best of. Potter has already binned off some off the rubbish CH was having to make a silk purse out of. I don't think time will show that the sum of the parts CH was given were better than merely survival by whatever means necessary.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Where are Sunderland with the proposed takeover?

Has it just gone through, and it's the new owners who have done this, or is it on the cards, and the new owners may have asked for the decks to be cleared?

Either way, this is tough on Ross, who took over at a basket-case of a club, with a whole host of problems, that managers with better CVs than his haven't been able to steady, let alone turnaround. he's come in, and been incredibly unlucky not to have gone up last season, and have started pretty well this season. I don't see (I may have missed it) investment in the squad that would suggest the expectations should be much higher than how they've started this season.

I can only think this is "new owner driven" and they may already have their own man already lined up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here