Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wilfried Zaha suing his agent over failed transfer from Crystal Palace

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/pre...rom-crystal-palace/ar-AAIrUL2?ocid=spartanntp

Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha is taking legal action against his agent Will Salthouse over failing to secure a transfer away from the club last summer. The issue centres around the fact that as well as representing Zaha, Salthouse also has a close relationship with Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish, thereby compromising any potential transfer dealings with the club. Zaha claims to have contacted Salthouse about leaving Unique Sports Management (USM), as well as speaking with IPS Law – a firm based in Manchester – about representing him in a case against USM. That case will be decided at a private arbitration hearing.

Under FA Rule K, any dispute between a player and intermediary will be resolved by an independent panel. There is also a possibility that both parties agree to a financial settlement before the tribunal is formed.
USM represent a number of professional footballers, including four other Crystal Palace squad members – Andros Townsend, Jordan Ayew, Jeffrey Schlupp, Cheikhou Kouyaté – as well as Manchester United defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who left Crystal Palace in the summer in a £45 million deal.

While Parish and Salthouse have worked with each other for a number of years in contract negotiations and transfer deals with various Palace players, they were also both part owners – along with Brighton striker Glenn Murray and Swansea midfielder Wayne Routledge (both former Palace players) – of Dirtybird Restaurants Limited, a chain of chicken shops that went into administration in August of this year.

Zaha’s deal with USM runs until next summer and the company plans to hold him to his contract. Should he get his desired move away within the next two transfer windows, USM will still be entitled to any commission from a deal, as originally agreed in his contract.
Salthouse has represented Zaha for seven years, orchestrating his move from Crystal Palace to Manchester United in 2013, as well as his return a year later.
Last month the 26-year-old Ivory Coast international signed a new deal with the club, worth around £130,000 for the next five years. It comes after a summer in which Zaha expected to leave Selhurst Park, with Everton and Arsenal both interested, and handed in an official transfer request. The Merseyside club even had a £52 million deal rejected by Parish, still some way off Palace’s estimated £80 million valuation.

Zaha told BBC Africa: "I've got to prove every time that I'm the top player I claim to be so I had to get over that quickly. Obviously my head was a bit all over the place at the beginning of the season but I had to nail down and just get on with it because the team deserved that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Suing his agent for failing to break him out of a 5 year contract he himself signed only a year ago.

I'm guessing he must have CCTV footage of the gun being held to his head as he gripped the crayon and scrawled his 'X' on that contract then.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He just can't get out of a contract that lad can he?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who to believe - Zaha or MailOnLine.

[tweet]1181508402427650053[/tweet]

Tough tough call.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The bit quoted in the article cannot be right can it? How can you sue someone for not getting you a transfer if you’ve just signed up for another five years? I’m assuming the 130k is per week and not for the five years, in which case he has been stitched up like a kipper :lolol:

Last month the 26-year-old Ivory Coast international signed a new deal with the club, worth around £130,000 for the next five years.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
26-year-old Ivory Coast international signed a new deal with the club, worth around £130,000 for the next five years

Well that's not a lot. Works out at 26,000 a year. I suppose that is all he is worth.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/pre...rom-crystal-palace/ar-AAIrUL2?ocid=spartanntp

Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha is taking legal action against his agent Will Salthouse over failing to secure a transfer away from the club last summer. The issue centres around the fact that as well as representing Zaha, Salthouse also has a close relationship with Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish, thereby compromising any potential transfer dealings with the club. Zaha claims to have contacted Salthouse about leaving Unique Sports Management (USM), as well as speaking with IPS Law – a firm based in Manchester – about representing him in a case against USM. That case will be decided at a private arbitration hearing.

Under FA Rule K, any dispute between a player and intermediary will be resolved by an independent panel. There is also a possibility that both parties agree to a financial settlement before the tribunal is formed.
USM represent a number of professional footballers, including four other Crystal Palace squad members – Andros Townsend, Jordan Ayew, Jeffrey Schlupp, Cheikhou Kouyaté – as well as Manchester United defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who left Crystal Palace in the summer in a £45 million deal.

While Parish and Salthouse have worked with each other for a number of years in contract negotiations and transfer deals with various Palace players, they were also both part owners – along with Brighton striker Glenn Murray and Swansea midfielder Wayne Routledge (both former Palace players) – of Dirtybird Restaurants Limited, a chain of chicken shops that went into administration in August of this year.

Zaha’s deal with USM runs until next summer and the company plans to hold him to his contract. Should he get his desired move away within the next two transfer windows, USM will still be entitled to any commission from a deal, as originally agreed in his contract.
Salthouse has represented Zaha for seven years, orchestrating his move from Crystal Palace to Manchester United in 2013, as well as his return a year later.
Last month the 26-year-old Ivory Coast international signed a new deal with the club, worth around £130,000 for the next five years. It comes after a summer in which Zaha expected to leave Selhurst Park, with Everton and Arsenal both interested, and handed in an official transfer request. The Merseyside club even had a £52 million deal rejected by Parish, still some way off Palace’s estimated £80 million valuation.

Zaha told BBC Africa: "I've got to prove every time that I'm the top player I claim to be so I had to get over that quickly. Obviously my head was a bit all over the place at the beginning of the season but I had to nail down and just get on with it because the team deserved that.

Almost impossible for Zaha to win - Agent would have had to have broken a Contract and so unless the Agent and Zaha have a signed contract guaranteeing certain stipulations he has no grounds to sue them.

There is also the '' inability of performance'' (the terminology varies in different jurisdictions) - I can't see that unless it is stipulated which Club an Agent had guaranteed he would go to. There is no way that Zaha could claim that the Agent could in anyway give an assurance that he/they could ''guarantee performance'' of any proposed contract that may have been discussed verbally.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The bit quoted in the article cannot be right can it? How can you sue someone for not getting you a transfer if you’ve just signed up for another five years? I’m assuming the 130k is per week and not for the five years, in which case he has been stitched up like a kipper :lolol:

Last month the 26-year-old Ivory Coast international signed a new deal with the club, worth around £130,000 for the next five years.

By signing a contract, he increased his value to CP and therefore how much they could ask for him. There may have been a 'gentlemen's agreement' that he sign the contract but that the following year he could go for 'x' amount. However, SP may have reneged on that by then increasing what 'x' was and pricing him out of the market.

That is of course just one scenario but I believe Heskey did something similar at Leicester, ie signed a contract before moving to Liverpool and the money probably helped Leicester stave of administration for a few years!!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
By signing a contract, he increased his value to CP and therefore how much they could ask for him. There may have been a 'gentlemen's agreement' that he sign the contract but that the following year he could go for 'x' amount. However, SP may have reneged on that by then increasing what 'x' was and pricing him out of the market.

That is of course just one scenario but I believe Heskey did something similar at Leicester, ie signed a contract before moving to Liverpool and the money probably helped Leicester stave of administration for a few years!!

Palace were asking more than they had any chance of obtaining. Everton apparently offered a decent wedge but were turned down, and then he goes and signs a new contract? Nope I don’t get it. He apparently had a gentleman’s agreement after his last new contract and the spiv then told him that as it wasn’t in writing he wasn't going to honour it. If you are so thick or greedy that you then extend you contract your deserve all the shit that follows. The guy is a bit entitled imo. I hope Palace never let him go.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
In principle, a (demonstrable) conflict of interest should presumably be a legitimate way for a player to break a contract with their agent?

Whether or not there was one, or whether this story is even true...

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Palace were asking more than they had any chance of obtaining. Everton apparently offered a decent wedge but were turned down, and then he goes and signs a new contract? Nope I don’t get it. He apparently had a gentleman’s agreement after his last new contract and the spiv then told him that as it wasn’t in writing he wasn't going to honour it. If you are so thick or greedy that you then extend you contract your deserve all the shit that follows. The guy is a bit entitled imo. I hope Palace never let him go.

Clubs will always value their players higher, and imho, both offers fell short.
Some of you lot are even suggesting Connolly’s worth £30 mill after his debut !!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

A “gentleman’s agreement” involving Parish...?

“Yes yes Wilf. I promise,on my mums life, that I will tear up this here contract if Arsenal, or Everton or someone else comes in for you..here, just sign there...now here’s some new stack heeled trainers and a nice Matt Black Bentley...would you like some more hair braids and ripped kecks...don’t worry about all those pages of small writing that’s just some old guff that Mr. Roy put in about a lifetime supply of baseball caps or something...oh look, is that a squirrel?”

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A “gentleman’s agreement” involving Parish...?

“Yes yes Wilf. I promise,on my mums life, that I will rear up this here contract if Arsenal, or Everton or someone else comes in for you..here, just sign there...now here’s some new stack heeled trainers and a nice Matt Black Bentley...would you like some more hair braids and ripped kecks...don’t worry about all those pages of small writing that’s just some old guff that Mr. Roy put in about a lifetime supply of baseball caps or something...oh look, is that a squirrel?”

Exactly, he may be a very talented footballer but he strikes me as being a bit naive and living in a bubble. He, no doubt, made the mistake of believing the Spiv.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Clubs will always value their players higher, and imho, both offers fell short.
Some of you lot are even suggesting Connolly’s worth £30 mill after his debut !!

Well, he has scored two Premier League goals in 5 appearances.

A certain Christian Benteke, who cost £27 mill back in 2016, has scored only one Premier League goal in 23 appearances over the last couple of seasons.

I wonder which one is the more attractive proposition to prospective buyers at this juncture?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here