[Brighton] 75,000 bus lane penalty tickets

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I got one, crossed a line turning left 2m early as I was holding up the flow of traffic

*****!

They should spend the money of resurfacing Brighton, the buses are responsible for hideous pollution and dreadful rutting and potholes. Shitboxes on wheels!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Between 2017 and 2018 the council was challenged 35,120 times on these notices.

This rose to 51,964 between 2018 and 2019.

Of these, the council won 26 per cent, lost 29 per cent and the remainder were cancelled.

So the Council accepted that 38,453 of the appeals were incorrectly issued, so over 50% of the 75,029 tickets should not have been issued if the Council were doing their job correctly, maybe more as no doubt some drivers just paid up.

D

Deleted member 2719

What I can't believe is 10 million pounds being spent on electric buses.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone seen that absurd bus lane situation in Eddie Street at the Morrisons turn ? You have to turn in from the right lane across the bus lane to go into the car park entrance, whilst checking no-one is crossing the road.

Screenshot (1).png

D

Deleted member 2719

Considering the health/environmental benefits, £300k per bus isn't too bad?

As a B&H council tax payer, I'm supportive of it anyway.

But do Brighton and Hove need 30 buses?
Could they not run 5 at first to see how they cope over 2 or 3 years and judge the real-world cost and reliability.
Also given 2 more years they would have had chance to make more advancements in the technology.
Surely they could spend that sort of money elsewhere.

Electric buses isn't good. . . .depends how many for the price though!

30 apparently.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
But do Brighton and Hove need 30 buses?
Could they not run 5 at first to see how they cope over 2 or 3 years and judge the real-world cost and reliability.
Also given 2 more years they would have had chance to make more advancements in the technology.
Surely they could spend that sort of money elsewhere.

30 apparently.

I meant electric buses ( potentially) IS a good thing

but at £1/3m each I'd be a little more hesitant. Thats a lot of money. about double an ordinary double decker. The only difference being the power unit.

I've looked into converting a Lambretta to electric, and reckon I can do it for about £2k . . . . . which is comparable to the cost of parts to build a decent petrol engine.

D

Deleted member 2719

I meant electric buses ( potentially) IS a good thing

but at £1/3m each I'd be a little more hesitant. Thats a lot of money. about double an ordinary double decker. The only difference being the power unit.

I've looked into converting a Lambretta to electric, and reckon I can do it for about £2k . . . . . which is comparable to the cost of parts to build a decent petrol engine.

I agree, we will. Need to go that route although I prefer hydrogen.

I just think if people stopped flying, would be a quicker way to help stop the world's pollution, there are so many greens, eco-warriors that don't do what they preach.

I would be interested to see your conversion if you go ahead with it, at intervals preferably.

Can you post a thread on Green conversions or new age inventions!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I just think if people stopped flying, would be a quicker way to help stop the world's pollution, there are so many greens, eco-warriors that don't do what they preach.

This. To many people fail to see the paradox when they claim to be doing xyz for the environment but then boast about flying here there and everywhere.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Easy solution though.

You'd think so ….. until you try and read the TINY signs. Try driving along Edward Street and read the time restrictions on the bus lanes .... close to impossible. Then try driving up West Street and turning left into Western Road. The signs to show you can't make that turn are so close to the entrance you can't not make the turn once you see them. Bottom of North Street is the same. I'm all for bus lanes but at least make the restrictions obvious ….. otherwise it just becomes a trap …. as it has here. To quote the song - "it's all about the money, the money, the money".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Between 2017 and 2018 the council was challenged 35,120 times on these notices.

This rose to 51,964 between 2018 and 2019.

Of these, the council won 26 per cent, lost 29 per cent and the remainder were cancelled.

So the Council accepted that 38,453 of the appeals were incorrectly issued, so over 50% of the 75,029 tickets should not have been issued if the Council were doing their job correctly, maybe more as no doubt some drivers just paid up.

That's because all the council wants is money ….. oh, and you've got to be pretty useless and inept to get a job at a council.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here