Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Roof

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Anyone else notice how dirty and faded it's looking now?

AmexNow.PNG

A reminder of what it used to look like:

AmexThen.PNG

:down:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Bountiful fixtures on this one but granted not been aired for a few weeks/months etc.

Believe the club got assurances from the manufacturers re longevity of the colour that weren’t met so unconfirmed but think we got some compo for it.

Unlikely to be changed unless it starts actually biodegrading from all the guano.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Bountiful fixtures on this one but granted not been aired for a few weeks/months etc.

Believe the club got assurances from the manufacturers re longevity of the colour that weren’t met so unconfirmed but think we got some compo for it.

Unlikely to be changed unless it starts actually biodegrading from all the guano.

That's disappointing to hear. I was hoping all it needed was a good scrub.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Decent sized step ladder and a few buckets of paint. You could have it back to new in an afternoon

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its been gradually deteriorating for a while now, I can remember having a grizzle about this exact thing at least a couple of years ago. I've no idea how much those corrugated plastic roof panels are to replace, but TB clearly doesn't feel its a priority and its his money tbf.

Its surprising how much they've faded though. Huddersfields are still blue, although I dunno if their roofs are transluscent, or if they've had a spruce up. This pic appeared with an article just after they'd secured promotion.

Sanbi_JohnSmithsStadium-1_LR-900x505.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It beginning to look like many other stadiums a few years old and here's us saying that they look cheap. Next there'll be rust.

Oh and us that sit in WSU have to look at the unsightly roof on the plod box.

At least our seats aren't fading, now that does look cheap.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I quite like the faded look, if anything the Huddersfield one is too bright.

A grass or solar would have been good but it's not my money!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think it was supposed (and expected) to be a green roof, although don't quote me on that.

There was originally a notional plan to have grass / turf on the roofs to further blend it in with the landscape - think Tellytubbies. I vaguely remember seeing a concept pic of how it would look, but I'm far too lazy to look for it now.

Would surely have been thoroughly impractical though. The weight of it would have been enormous, especially after rain, not to mention all the maintenance and upkeep. Bonkers idea that someone probably rightly did a "WTF" to early doors.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
There was originally a notional plan to have grass turf on the roofs to further blend it in with the landscape - think Tellytubbies. I vaguely remember seeing a concept photo of how it would look, but I'm far too lazy to look for it now.

Would surely have been thoroughly impractical though. The weight of it would have been enormous, especially after rain, not to mention all the maintenance and upkeep. Bonkers idea that someone probably rightly did a "WTF" to early doors.

I think the opposite, as I understand this was an aspect of the overall design that led to PP being granted. It was then built without this.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I think it was supposed (and expected) to be a green roof, although don't quote me on that.
If I remember correctly, the green roof would have been on the little annex building in the corner of Bennett's field where the proposed hotel would have been. It would have been accessed by a glass walk-way from the actual stadium. There are pictures of the plans for this somewhere but can't find them at the moment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I noticed rust spots last season when I spent quite some time gazing up at the beams and stanchions.
I haven’t looked this season....... Hmmm.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There was originally a notional plan to have grass / turf on the roofs to further blend it in with the landscape - think Tellytubbies. I vaguely remember seeing a concept pic of how it would look, but I'm far too lazy to look for it now.

It was to help jump through the 72 million hoops, needed to get the stadium in the first place. Ie it will blend into the Downs etc

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

It was only the North and South ends that were originally planned to be turfed. I think the rest was always planned to be translucent.

FalmerOriginalDesign.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the opposite, as I understand this was an aspect of the overall design that led to PP being granted. It was then built without this.

It was to help jump through the 72 million hoops, needed to get the stadium in the first place. Ie it will blend into the Downs etc

Yes now you mention it, that makes sense, on an aesthetic level at least. On a practical level though...

Silly sods.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here