Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pizza Express on the brink?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Reportedly about to engage in talks with creditors.

Apparently has £1.6m of debt per restaurant...!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not surprised, as always felt that you could get a better pizza for a lower price elsewhere, and rarely go to Pizza Express

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
been carrying large debt for years, consequence of expansion. found the service poor at multiple outlets, i dont think they train very well, except for trying to up sell.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I had too many snowball dough balls last time I visited PE.

Makes me feel ill thinking about it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not surprised, as always felt that you could get a better pizza for a lower price elsewhere, and rarely go to Pizza Express

I'm not surprised either. I went once, at lunchtime, with some colleagues, and ordered a salad. The dressing on the salad was awful.
I never went again.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Peter Boizot who founded Pizza Express in the sixties and sold out in mid nineties,died last Dec, would have been disappointed with the food they turn out today.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It is crazy when you look at it per outlet. Maximising debt into the business reduces taxable profits. Effectively the owners make their money through financing rather than successful business and dividends. That's never going to be sustainable in the long term.

Remember being taken to one of the original central London ones as a kid in the early 80s as a treat.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How is that even possible?

Poor Locations - many chains have been competing and massively overpaying for prime sites and tying themselves into very long term deals, to hit the too lazy to cook market.
Poor Service - too many chains neither match the quality or service offered by the best independents.
Changed market - home delivery services are suddenly having a massive impact. You don't need tables on the high street, you need somewhere, where mopeds can pick up. It also impacts sell through, so all the high margin stuff like soft drinks, coffees and deserts, don't get on the deliveroo order.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If they fold, will they become Calzone Express?

(Joke nicked from Twitter)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
High Street dying on its arse.

Still, we get what we ask for. Convenience online shopping is lining the pockets of the VC companies and the arrogant fat cat dotcommers. We’ve simply replaced fat cats in pinstripes with fat cats in jeans and t-shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My kids like it for a treat but really overpriced. I can make pizza at home now I have a pizza steel for about a quid, just as good

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I'm not a great fan as I would prefer to go to an independent but inevitably end up going if we go away and cant find an alternative plus some unadventurous friends of ours think it is their favourite restaurant and insisted we went for her birthday!

They couldn't cope with a party of 4 couples and royally messed up the order plus the heating was broken plus they had run out of something obvious (cant remember what it was now) so that was a shambles.

A few months ago (or maybe last year thinking about it) we couldn't be arsed to cook or wash up so looked at options and we worked out if we cashed in some Tesco vouchers we could eat at Pizza express for free.

We went on a Tuesday evening and there were only 3 other couples/small families who were also all using vouchers. Everyone was on tap water - I assume for cost. It was the most depressing place with no buzz and no enthusiasm. The food was prompt as they were not busy but the waitress was miserable as she could see she wouldn't be getting any tips.

So in essence no loss but another big hole in the high street - Worthing looked very sad yesterday with the volume of empty shops.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Actually went to the one in Worthing a few weeks back for lunch and it was shockingly shit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here