Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neil Maupay - has he had the credit he deserves yet?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I know he is getting recognition for his goals but I wonder if we're missing some of the other things he contributes to the team? I'm no tactical expert, and I know we have some people on here who study these things, so I'd love to know if (as I suspect) he is contributing far more than just goals?

Any thoughts?

(Neal of course - apols)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know he is getting recognition for his goals but I wonder if we're missing some of the other things he contributes to the team? I'm no tactical expert, and I know we have some people on here who study these things, so I'd love to know if (as I suspect) he is contributing far more than just goals?

Any thoughts?

I googled his 'highlights reel' but all I got was footage of him doing his hair. :shrug:

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Any thoughts?
Looks a lot more effective with a similar player alongside him. More isolated when he is on his own as defenders can shut him down but the pace and movement of two small players puts doubt in their minds. If we could ever get Connolly, Maupay and Trossard in the same team, defenders could be having nightmares for weeks. Problem is that you also need supply for them to work so getting all 3 together plus Gross or Mooy might be a stretch. But not having to worry that we have strikers under 6ft is very nice.

Talking of Maupay, do we have the definitive pronunciation? I have heard mo-pay, mo-pie, more-pay and more-pie. And I am guessing Warren goes with Moppy. But which one is it?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
MoTD could have done the same analysis of Maupay that they did of Connolly on Saturday. His work rate and movement was just as good. This was the first game the two started together and if they can add an understanding of each other's game to the work, pace, invention and goal hunger, we will live in exciting times. Neal looked isolated against Chelsea and must have enjoyed the support he was getting from Connolly, Gross, Mooy etc. He is only four years older than Connolly and the two of them are working daily in training with Glenn Murray, one of the cleverest and most experienced strikers in the game. It could be very exciting times. Let's not expect it all to click immediately or in every game. It will always be difficult to score against teams at this level, but there are reasons for great optimism at this club and Neal Maupay is a big part of that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Looks a lot more effective with a similar player alongside him. More isolated when he is on his own as defenders can shut him down but the pace and movement of two small players puts doubt in their minds. If we could ever get Connolly, Maupay and Trossard in the same team, defenders could be having nightmares for weeks. Problem is that you also need supply for them to work so getting all 3 together plus Gross or Mooy might be a stretch. But not having to worry that we have strikers under 6ft is very nice.

Talking of Maupay, do we have the definitive pronunciation? I have heard mo-pay, mo-pie, more-pay and more-pie. And I am guessing Warren goes with Moppy. But which one is it?

One of the great things about Saturday was that Trossard/Propper/March weren’t in the side ...as you said how do you fit them all in
..I hope Stephens is ok ..he limped off and always doesn’t seem to get over knocks quickly (least the ones we know about)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bizarrely enough, between kick off and the goal I still had time to think:-

'these 2 might not work together'. (#TeamSpence)

I assume they both ran for the same ball, at some point within the first 65 seconds. :facepalm: :lol:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
MoTD could have done the same analysis of Maupay that they did of Connolly on Saturday. His work rate and movement was just as good. This was the first game the two started together and if they can add an understanding of each other's game to the work, pace, invention and goal hunger, we will live in exciting times. Neal looked isolated against Chelsea and must have enjoyed the support he was getting from Connolly, Gross, Mooy etc. He is only four years older than Connolly and the two of them are working daily in training with Glenn Murray, one of the cleverest and most experienced strikers in the game. It could be very exciting times. Let's not expect it all to click immediately or in every game. It will always be difficult to score against teams at this level, but there are reasons for great optimism at this club and Neal Maupay is a big part of that.

Murray won’t be getting much game time but I bet the input he put into Connolly and Maupay will be invaluable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maupay has had just about the level of credit he deserves so far IMHO. Nobody going overboard, nor giving him a hard time. Has scored a couple but has also missed a few howlers, like the free and easy header on saturday. But no complaints here, other than maybe his daft bleached hair. It's a step up in class for the player and he's mainly doing OK. Just happy he looks hungry & useful and has denied Andone/Locadia a squad place for the season

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

There was an interview with him, i think it was SSN on deadline day, the girl who interviewed him asked how to pronounce his surname, he said Mo- pay.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If carries on at current rate he will smash 14 goals this season.

That is GOLD DUST for teams looking to avoid the drop

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There was an interview with him, i think it was SSN on deadline day, the girl who interviewed him asked how to pronounce his surname, he said Mo- ay.

With a silent "p", huh? Well, if that's how he wants it pronouncing, who are we to question it?

Edit: you've edited it. Booooooo!

Ole, ole, ole, oleeeeeee,
Mo- ay, Mo- ay.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Still not convinced that he is making good runs. It was a bit embarrassing on the weekend when he stopped his run because he didn’t think Mooy was going to give it to him but instead Mooy was just disguising the pass brilliantly.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Very hit and miss. Generally has not played that well. But scoring enough and an exceptional performance on Saturday means he's in credit now.

I still think we could do with another better quality striker on the books, someone big and tall that Connelly could compliment. Would be very happy with maupay as a bench option

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Still not convinced that he is making good runs. It was a bit embarrassing on the weekend when he stopped his run because he didn’t think Mooy was going to give it to him but instead Mooy was just disguising the pass brilliantly.

Harsh criticism when they have only played a small amount of games together

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Maupay has had just about the level of credit he deserves so far IMHO. Nobody going overboard, nor giving him a hard time. Has scored a couple but has also missed a few howlers, like the free and easy header on saturday. But no complaints here, other than maybe his daft bleached hair. It's a step up in class for the player and he's mainly doing OK. Just happy he looks hungry & useful and has denied Andone/Locadia a squad place for the season

Obviously Knockaert left his bottle of SILLY hair bleach behind

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
3 goals in 8 games is a very acceptable return for a player who is just finding his feet at this level. He's quick, alert and composed in the box, three totally different types of goals. Very much like the look of him, except for the hair, dunno what thats all about. From my perch in the WSU I kept mistaking him for Mooy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here