Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neil Maupay - has he had the credit he deserves yet?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spot on!

We'd all like 100% conversion of good chances but even the very best miss pretty frequently (as your stats show).

Maupay, Connolly and Trossard are all virtually brand new to both BHA and the Premier League.

The fact that we've scored 3 goals in 3 games already suggests that this won't be a problem this season. We managed that just twice the whole of last season in the Premier League!

I hope Maupay doesn't read these threads! He ran his heart out on Saturday and I'd be pretty pi***ed off if I read this level of criticism......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always think that if you're getting into space to have chances, you're doing the lion's share of the job. Finishing is invariably linked with confidence and I'm sure his will grow. Connolly didn't score but I thought wasn't far off Alzate for man of the match. Very happy with the centre forwards at this point, and more than confident both will get better as the season progresses.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Any questions about Maupay have been answered for a while

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maupay by his own admission said he'd been struggling in recent matches, but 5 goals is a decent return and I like him and Connolly together.

Connolly hasn't got many plaudits tonight but he got two Arsenal players booked, he assisted Webster's goal and was a nuisance once again. Let's keep the partnership going.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maupay goals tally is tracking Murray tally in our first season... don't remember anyone calling Murray crap in our first season?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Big step up ...... not played at this level before in a team that is changing the way it plays.

Bearing in mind all that I think he has done well, he has had some great performances and a few poor ones but his attitude seems first class and adds something to how we play.

Learning curve for everyone and still confident he will hit double figures for us this season which has to be the target for a team at our level, there aren’t many 20 goal a season strikers in the league so 12-14 would be a great return.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maupay by his own admission said he'd been struggling in recent matches, but 5 goals is a decent return and I like him and Connolly together.

Connolly hasn't got many plaudits tonight but he got two Arsenal players booked, he assisted Webster's goal and was a nuisance once again. Let's keep the partnership going.

Shearer was fairly constantly praising Connolly............

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Because he was very good. Maupay just shaded him last night though

We have 2 decent forwards :) cant wait until they really click as a pairing

Connolly just needs to lift his head sometimes, he made a great run first half leaving players for dead, and Maupay was in in acres of space and unmarked. Maupay rightly berated him for not passing. Beating people is great but it's that final look up that makes or breaks a player, ask Anthony Knockaert about that...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Connolly just needs to lift his head sometimes, he made a great run first half leaving players for dead, and Maupay was in in acres of space and unmarked. Maupay rightly berated him for not passing. Beating people is great but it's that final look up that makes or breaks a player, ask Anthony Knockaert about that...

Same happened 2nd half as well - with I think Mooy unmarked to his left.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maupay goals tally is tracking Murray tally in our first season... don't remember anyone calling Murray crap in our first season?
:wave: :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But also in the first half AC passed back across the box, when he should have shot.

I don't think it's as 'easy' as get you're head up.
After all for the Mooy non-pass at no point was all of Mooy ever on screen.

Bearing down on goal, fast, very fast, it's tough to expect any player to know of a team mate x yards behind him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Lets not forget he has played about 4 games of football... he will just keep getting better and better. those other bits and pieces to his game will come

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But also in the first half AC passed back across the box, when he should have shot.

I don't think it's as 'easy' as get you're head up.
After all for the Mooy non-pass at no point was all of Mooy ever on screen.

Bearing down on goal, fast, very fast, it's tough to expect any player to know of a team mate x yards behind him.

I wasn't being over critical, just a part of his game, a bit like Alzate falling over too easily, that needs working in.

And while it's tough to expect a player to know where his team mates are, well drilled teams and players do. Watch how often the top players roll the ball into the space where they know a colleague will be. I am sure with time the partnership will get better and return the goals it deserves!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here