Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neil Maupay - has he had the credit he deserves yet?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who'd have guessed the Albion player getting pelters, after another impressive victory that sees the team up to 8th, is the player who has scored 4 from 11.

If it weren't so predictable it would be unbelievable.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
As good as his work rate is, I'm not sold either. He needs his fair share of chances to convert - he missed 2 today that Murray would have buried - and him and Connelly appear to be on different wavelengths half the time. I'd agree with the earlier poster that he is a major upgrade on DJ Strollabout but he's not one of our star performers this year so far and given the amount of chances we create I'd argue a striker probably should be.

That's not to say his partnership with Connelly won't improve, he becomes more deadly or that he's 'shit' but there is room for improvement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As good as his work rate is, I'm not sold either. He needs his fair share of chances to convert - he missed 2 today that Murray would have buried - and him and Connelly appear to be on different wavelengths half the time. I'd agree with the earlier poster that he is a major upgrade on DJ Strollabout but he's not one of our star performers this year so far and given the amount of chances we create I'd argue a striker probably should be.

That's not to say his partnership with Connelly won't improve, he becomes more deadly or that he's 'shit' but there is room for improvement.

Kind of this........but he’s quick enough to get into positions Murray has no hope of getting to so not quite.

He needs to gel better with Connolly, and he needs to be more clinical- biggest issue for me is the number of chances he’s getting but not converting. Clearly a good team man though, phenomenal workrate and fitness. Worth persevering with IMO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shooting boots left at home today but Christ he puts in a shift and is absolutely worth his place in the team

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's had, what, 11 PL games? I doubt all of those were full ones. I said at the end of the game something very close to what [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] just said - that Murray would have put some of those chances away but that Murray would not have been in those positions to start off with.

We have a player with pace, workrate and committment who has 4 goals to his name already this season. He's allowed to miss a couple of sitters.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's had, what, 11 PL games? I doubt all of those were full ones. I said at the end of the game something very close to what [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] just said - that Murray would have put some of those chances away but that Murray would not have been in those positions to start off with.

We have a player with pace, workrate and committment who has 4 goals to his name already this season. He's allowed to miss a couple of sitters.
Exactamondo.

I'm amazed posters can watch that game, that formation and player positioning then come to the conclusion:-

'We need Murray out there'.

I find it hard to believe even GM looking on is thinking 'they need me out there'.

Had anyone one of the 2 potential hattick scorers actually got their 3 goals, then sure, swap Connolly for Murray and see out the game with as little amount of fuss as possible.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Kind of this........but he’s quick enough to get into positions Murray has no hope of getting to so not quite.

He needs to gel better with Connolly, and he needs to be more clinical- biggest issue for me is the number of chances he’s getting but not converting. Clearly a good team man though, phenomenal workrate and fitness. Worth persevering with IMO.

He's so much more mobile than Murray who has only ever won a pace battle with Ryan Shawcross in my PL memory but the 2 he missed today were box chances that Murray would have snaffled up. I would also like him to play with a bit more nous. Hold the ball up and draw a foul when he's on his own and not head for goal as a matter of course. He is undoubtedly an asset and an upgrade on those before there is room for improvement.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think he’s terrific. Puts the effort in and gets in really decent positions. Had already scored at a fairly decent rate and to top it all, he’s a proper wind up merchant, and I can’t remember the last time we had one of those.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he’s terrific. Puts the effort in and gets in really decent positions. Had already scored at a fairly decent rate and to top it all, he’s a proper wind up merchant, and I can’t remember the last time we had one of those.

Blimey you have forgotten AK already? :down:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Shooting boots left at home today but Christ he puts in a shift and is absolutely worth his place in the team

Yep - he was due a bad game after being excellent all season. He didn’t even have a bad game in terms of general play, just a rubbish day in front of goal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oozes class. Lucky to have him. Ppl on here are blind

Yessssss mate - how good are Maupay and Connolly at getting in front of their marker, getting a great touch and then laying it off. Muzza-esq hold up play from both.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Premier League is a huge step up from the Championship remember. Will take time for him to fully adjust, and he's still improving (although Norwich's defence were Championship at best today). He's done very well overall so far imo - I'm sure he'll get better and better under GP

That’s fair comment. It’s still early days for him but I I’m not sure if he has the speed and guile to be consistently successful at this level, though I hope I’m proved wrong.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Him and Connolly are beginning to gel more and more. It's refreshing not to have a forward who's constantly offside (eh [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]?)

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Great to see Connolly (now) also being able to receive the ball and hold it up when necessary drawing a foul as he did on several occasions yesterday

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Agree with the majority on Maupay so far - should’ve had a couple today but is ticking every other box; movement, work rate, first touch and hold-up/lay-offs, fits the style of play brilliantly. Just needs to show a cooler head in front of goal, but even then you can’t argue with his scoring rate so far, factoring in the step up. Very pleased with how he’s doing.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He’s doing fine. 11PL games under his belt and 4 goals. Currently joint 6th on scoring charts. Doesn’t matter how they come as long as he sticks the ball in the goal. He will only get better the more he plays at this level.
Granted he should have had a couple more but he’s still young and the goals will flow the more he plays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here