Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Glitter song featured in The Joker Movie

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Widespread indignation, including the moral compass that is the Daily Mail comments section, with the news that "Rock and Roll Part 2" features in the Joker movie, and therefore Mr P Gadd of HMP Belmarsh will be due some royalties.

Don't they still play the said tune at a number of American sporting events?

Surely no different to a Michael Jackson song being used in a film?

I'm sure the producers of the Joker, which took nearly $100million in its first weekend at the Box Office, knew exactly what they were doing when they put the soundtrack together.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Saw Killing Joke in London some years ago (after the Glitter imprisonment) and they played R&R before they came on stage. It was well received. Slightly odd, but there you go.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I have similar pangs of guilt every time Rolf Harris songs come up on my random playlist

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What about the family of the late Mike Leander who co-wrote a lot of Glitter's hits? Why should they be punished as well?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Pretty sure almost all American sporting events ditched the song after his imprisonment. Dont recall hearing it for a long time now in the pro ranks.

No, they still use it. I haven't watched them so far this season, but the Pittsburgh Penguins have certainly played it at the start for the last few seasons.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
No, they still use it. I haven't watched them so far this season, but the Pittsburgh Penguins have certainly played it at the start for the last few seasons.

Fair enough - I dont get to watch hockey any more unfortunately. Im sure the NFL dropped it?, so maybe the pro ranks gave it a hiatus for a while until the fuss died down, then re introduced it?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Huge hit in the USA but no-one has a clue who is singing it, is the answer.

Odd it wasn't changed for the UK release though. Changing music happens all the time in films and TV when it can't be played in a particular country.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Widespread indignation, including the moral compass that is the Daily Mail comments section, with the news that "Rock and Roll Part 2" features in the Joker movie, and therefore Mr P Gadd of HMP Belmarsh will be due some royalties.

I'm sure the producers of the Joker, which took nearly $100million in its first weekend at the Box Office, knew exactly what they were doing when they put the soundtrack together.

I’d argue there was no need for any reason why a Michael Jackson song couldn’t be in a film.
But I’d take up too much time doing so on this forum!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
THe Glitter band (nee Boston Showband) were very good on their day . . . . not their fault GG's a nonce

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Closer to home is the NSC Amazon link at the top of this page. Currently Amazon sells and hosts sellers offering CDs and DVDs by Gary Glitter, The Lost Prophets, MJ and Rolf Harris to name but four

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Closer to home is the NSC Amazon link at the top of this page. Currently Amazon sells and hosts sellers offering CDs and DVDs by Gary Glitter, The Lost Prophets, MJ and Rolf Harris to name but four
wouldnt be conducting a witch hunt would you?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Big difference between GG and MJ. Ones a convicted Pedo and the other is not. Simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here