Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our youth players coming through (are we Ajax in disguise)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Watching his Spurs performance again and especially his sensational 2nd goal, makes me wonder — how much would we have paid for an Aaron Connolly now? £20 million? £30m?

Alzate likewise.

And then Ben White who is the talk of the Championship right now.

Our youth players coming through are going to save (and generate) a serious amount of money for the club.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think we are 2nd in the clubs with the most amount of youngsters out on loan. That means not only can we spot a talented player and recruit them but we can convince other clubs of their ability and get these players some game time and experience. Man City are having players leave to gain some minutes but if we not only develop players but use them in the premier league then we would be a very tasty place for promising talent to sign with

D

Deleted member 2719

Watching his Spurs performance again and especially his sensational 2nd goal, makes me wonder — how much would we have paid for an Aaron Connolly now? £20 million? £30m?

Alzate likewise.

And then Ben White who is the talk of the Championship right now.

Our youth players coming through are going to save (and generate) a serious amount of money for the club.

I hope they don't generate us money just keep our best players within the club so we can go on to achieve better things, I don't want to be a Southampton.

But the youth policy is definitely paying off, now they are allowed to play.

Ashworth and Potter hopefully will pay dividends over the next 2 years.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
£30m for a striker who has scored 2 PL goals?

He does look good, but come on...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

But his stats are amazing, he scores 2 goals every game. If he plays the remaining 30 games this season that's a total of 62 goals for him alone. That will surely win him the golden boot

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But his stats are amazing, he scores 2 goals every game. If he plays the remaining 30 games this season that's a total of 62 goals for him alone. That will surely win him the golden boot

I salute your flawless mathematical skills.

Classic Mark Twain, though (enormous return in speculation from a small investment of fact).

And on that basis alone, I am IN. Fact.

:thumbsup:

LVGull

May 13, 2016

I will stick my cock on the block now and say he’s going to become a top player. I said it last season, he looks the real deal. [MENTION=33965]FatSuperman[/MENTION]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who was the know-nothing Spence-ing (is a word - now) the 'yoof' set up for not producing 5 minutes after the door opened at Lancing?

I'll hazard a guess they're pretty quiet on the subject now.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Good news is that by actually playing the youngsters, and thereby clearly showing that there is a path from the U23s to the first team, it will only help attract better younger players to the club.
So hopefully we may in a few years be close to having a golden generation that if they stay rather than being sold when the first serious offer comes in, will keep us in the PL and see us become an established top 10 club, which is the new plan from TB.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

So if in theory someone offered us £30m do you think we would sell? Not a chance. £30m is an underestimate. They'd be paying us for potential rather than his record

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Bryan Wade scored 124 goals in his first season, so you could be onto something there

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just another reason why we are so lucky to have Uncle Tony at the helm. Plays the long game and is laying solid foundations. If/when we get relegated it is to be hoped that we won't be caught with our financial pants down like some clubs.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

The Connolly love-in is a bit silly, given he’s only scored two goals.
However the OP may not be a million miles away when you think Sean Longstaff is being talked about as a £50m player after 15 games (some as sub) for toon.
There are some stupid clubs out there (yes Man UTd I’m talking about you).
Certainly it won’t take many more decent showings for Connolly to be described in the Tabloids as “£20m-rated Connolly”.
He could be the new Michael Owen. He could be the new Macheda. Even if he does nothing more those goals will be remembered for a long time. He single-handedly turned Toby Alderviereld into an old man.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I hope they don't generate us money just keep our best players within the club so we can go on to achieve better things, I don't want to be a Southampton.

But the youth policy is definitely paying off, now they are allowed to play.

Ashworth and Potter hopefully will pay dividends over the next 2 years.

The sense I've got is that we have no intention of being a Southampton. The cream of the academy, (at the moment White, Alzate, Connolly) we intend to keep and play.

Inevitably there will be a few, who have a good market value, but either aren't quite Premier League standard or don't fit into Potter's style or are we just have a massive surplus in that position. Then we'll look to sell, maybe for a few million to a decent Championship or foreign club, maybe for a few hundred thousand to a league one or two club. A few a year like that helps cover the costs of the academy.

You could also look at it in the sense of how much would we have to pay to get Alzate or Connolly on the open market if we signed them now? The set up costs then have probably been paid off already.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Connolly love-in is a bit silly, given he’s only scored two goals.
However the OP may not be a million miles away when you think Sean Longstaff is being talked about as a £50m player after 15 games (some as sub) for toon.
There are some stupid clubs out there (yes Man UTd I’m talking about you).
Certainly it won’t take many more decent showings for Connolly to be described in the Tabloids as £20m-rate Connolly.
Sorry but you're delusional.

A 19 year old, Premier League goal scorer, who, like it or not, will be 'The New Rooney'.

His value wouldn't have been far off 'only' £20m when he was selected.
It was probably about £20m when he scored his first.
Then well over £20m when buried his second.

If IF he backs up yesterday, during our run of Liverpool, Arsenal or Utd, talk of £50m will be ancient history.

Yes it's stupid money.
Yes there are stupid clubs.
But that doesn't mean you should undervalue our talent just to be realistic.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sorry but you're delusional.

A 19 year old, Premier League goal scorer, who, like it or not, will be 'The New Rooney'.

His value wouldn't have been far off 'only' £20m when he was selected.
It was probably about £20m when he scored his first.
Then well over £20m when buried his second.

If IF he backs up yesterday, during our run of Liverpool, Arsenal or Utd, talk of £50m will be ancient history.

Yes it's stupid money.
Yes there are stupid clubs.
But that doesn't mean you should undervalue our talent just to be realistic.

You’d think buying clubs would want to see more before paying 20 million but you may be right. That says more about modern football than Connollys achievements so far.
If he backs up yesterday over the next few months then indeed, we could name our price.
“The new Rooney” - we can blame you if that catches on

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Saw a presentation not too long ago by the head of the academy and the academy is still very much a work in progress and is only going to produce more + better players. Like Ashworth said in that video clip posted elsewhere on NSC the Albion aren't in a position to spend silly money on signings so will be hoping to produce top level players. It's only going to get better and better.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Saw a presentation not too long ago by the head of the academy and the academy is still very much a work in progress and is only going to produce more + better players. Like Ashworth said in that video clip posted elsewhere on NSC the Albion aren't in a position to spend silly money on signings so will be hoping to produce top level players. It's only going to get better and better.

This might sound pathetic, but I find that genuinely exciting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here