Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Sounds of the 70’s with Johnnie Walker

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Up there with the best radio programmes imo.

Always has decent music and interesting guests, today Jim Cregan. Played guitar in Family and Cockney Rebel as well as co writing and playing on Rod Stewart songs

Great Sunday afternoon radio although I accept you may have to be of a certain age :shrug:

Any other old codger fans of this programme on here?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like Sounds of the Seventies, but my personal favourite is Sounds of the Sixties with Tony Blackburn

Yeah I like TB but I also liked Brian Matthew who was the one who made the programme imo.

Fluff Freeman on a Saturday afternoon was also good listening, but many years ago now

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Yeah I like TB but I also liked Brian Matthew who was the one who made the programme imo.

Fluff Freeman on a Saturday afternoon was also good listening, but may years ago now

Yes, Pick of the Pops with Fluff was great listening, especially if the featured years were in the 60’s or 70’s.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Up there with the best radio programmes imo.

Always has decent music and interesting guests, today Jim Cregan. Played guitar in Family and Cockney Rebel as well as co writing and playing on Rod Stewart songs

Great Sunday afternoon radio although I accept you may have to be of a certain age :shrug:

Any other old codger fans of this programme on here?

Family and Cockney Rebel? Wow - that's quit a mix!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I’m currently listening to Absolute Radio 60’s.
A great mix of music from that decade, with plenty of Motown ( my favourite label).

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Only trouble with Jonny walker show , the man does not like soul or disco music that was so popular in the 70s , I used to listen to him on Sunday afternoons but unless you like rock music , don’t listen

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Yep, good show. Good selection of music and relevant info, plus very interesting guests.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Only trouble with Jonny walker show , the man does not like soul or disco music that was so popular in the 70s , I used to listen to him on Sunday afternoons but unless you like rock music , don’t listen

You are wrong. 3 or 4 weeks ago he devoted a whole Sunday afternoon show to Soul/Disco Music.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yes - great programme - for me ‘63 to ‘84 was the best music period so JW’s show is spot on. Remember him on the lunchtime Radio 1 spot in this era and still have a cassette recording of his last programme - he went very West Coast of USA at that time and was always plugging the Eagles et al.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
You are wrong. 3 or 4 weeks ago he devoted a whole Sunday afternoon show to Soul/Disco Music.

What one show in 10 years big deal , he does not like soul music , and the 70s was full of great soul music , all he is interested in is guitar based music , where as all the clubs played soul and disco

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What one show in 10 years big deal , he does not like soul music , and the 70s was full of great soul music , all he is interested in is guitar based music , where as all the clubs played soul and disco

Has to take its turn with Prog Rock, Rock, Hard rock, Metal, Glam, Folk Rock, Pub Rock, Punk, New Wave, Synth, Pop, Reggae so there are far more guitar based genres.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

He used to play Percy Sledge's 'Warm and tender love' at the same time every night when he was on Radio Caroline, and I am sure he played more soul back then. I think going to America bent his brain and he sold out, trying to be cool.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here