Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Open Space to Learn to Drive

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
My 16 year old son want to have a go at driving my car and I’m just wondering if there any old aerodromes or other large tarmac areas near Brighton / Lewes.

I know we could just go to a supermarket car park but I’d rather somewhere a bit more spacious.

Ta!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My 16 year old son want to have a go at driving my car and I’m just wondering if there any old aerodromes or other large tarmac areas near Brighton / Lewes.

I know we could just go to a supermarket car park but I’d rather somewhere a bit more spacious.

Ta!

You know there are feds on this forum right?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is there not a MOD property nearby that could be used or large school with roads. What is the legal situation at Sussex Uni is that private property? One of my sons took his step daughter to a driving school in Tunbridge Wells for her 15th Birthday and they use a multi story car park.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Is there not a MOD property nearby that could be used or large school with roads. What is the legal situation at Sussex Uni is that private property? One of my sons took his step daughter to a driving school in Tunbridge Wells for her 15th Birthday and they use a multi story car park.

Porton Down is good for a drive, this time of year :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I'm not sure you could just go to a supermarket car park.
I know supermarket car parks are visited by a fair few dodgy drivers, but they are there doing their shopping.
I'm not sure the supermarket owners would let an uninsured 16 year old driving round their property.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Funny - I haven't noticed any of those "The MOD welcomes unqualified drivers and other trespassers" signs lately ...........................

I was thinking more of them renting out the land as the multi story in Tunbridge Wells presumably does. Would be a source of income for somewhere like Christs Hospital , Ardingley College etc. Even The Amex on non match days.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was thinking more of them renting out the land as the multi story in Tunbridge Wells presumably does. Would be a source of income for somewhere like Christs Hospital , Ardingley College etc. Even The Amex on non match days.

I'd be very surprised if unlicensed drivers driving round the multi storey in Tunbridge Wells is legal - more likely that nobody's been caught/nobody's bothered to prosecute yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd be very surprised if unlicensed drivers driving round the multi storey in Tunbridge Wells is legal - more likely that nobody's been caught/nobody's bothered to prosecute yet.

It is well advertised as a young drivers driving school I am told, so would expect everything to be in order

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The Road Traffic Act covers "places to which the public normally have access", so supermarket car parks and the university are covered by it. In the case of a public car park, if the management explicitly close it to the public for a time, then the act isn't in force for that period.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Road Traffic Act covers "places to which the public normally have access", so supermarket car parks and the university are covered by it. In the case of a public car park, if the management explicitly close it to the public for a time, then the act isn't in force for that period.

Yep all road traffic laws apply on the roads on Sussex & Brighton campuses.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think there are few instructors who use Dunsfold Aerodrome to give u17s a chance to drive but I suspect you will have to pay and you won't be able to do it as you're not qualified.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here