Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Connolly elbowed

mefromringmer

Aug 9, 2013
I didn't see the incident yesterday but having seen it again on Seagulls TV ( not shown on MOTD) will the Spud player who elbowed Aaron be looked at retrospectivily by those in charge? The same way Andone was suspended last season. Doubt it, but it didn't look good. It went to VAR on the TV but there was no decision.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think Dier, ( by name and nature) was booked by the ref for it, so they can’t apply a retrospective punishment. Also, I think it went to VAR.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think Dier, ( by name and nature) was booked by the ref for it, so they can’t apply a retrospective punishment. Also, I think it went to VAR.

Yes. When play stopped, the ref carded Dyer and we couldn't see any other reason for the card.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just as linos are not supposed to raise their flags for offside any more (and refs not to whistle unless or until a 'goal' is scored either) perhaps refs. should now be told not to issue yellow cards for a foul, but to wait until VAR has decided if it's a red or not?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Fairly sure Moss had his back to it so must have been on advice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. When play stopped, the ref carded Dyer and we couldn't see any other reason for the card.

Dier got booked in the Albion goal mouth in front of the North about 5 minutes after he'd poleaxed Connelly in midfield. It was clearly on advice of VAR. When Dier did the all innocent 'wot for ref?' Connolly who was stood next to him at the time did an elbow action. Dier clearly not the sharpest tool in the box. Just the slowest.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Dier got booked in the Albion goal mouth in front of the North about 5 minutes after he'd poleaxed Connelly in midfield. It was clearly on advice of VAR. When Dier did the all innocent 'wot for ref?' Connolly who was stood next to him at the time did an elbow action. Dier clearly not the sharpest tool in the box. Just the slowest.

Slowest in which sense. I thought he did a stunning impersonation of a carthorse yesterday, but all the worst features of a carthorse - slow and ponderous and clumsy.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Fairly sure Moss had his back to it so must have been on advice.

I'm pretty sure Moss refused to look at Connolly on the ground while the crowd jeered, and then gestured for him to get up while still not acknowledging him, so must have been advised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Surely not as that isn’t what VAR should be used for?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
He was booked once the ball went out of play after the incident I think. If he didn't see it then he is in touch with the other 3 officials who could tell him about it. VAR would probably have looked at it (as a potential red card offence) but wouldn't it be against VAR protocol surely to say no red card but give a yellow? Be good to know what happened with that one - could Moss have seen it and played advantage?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He was booked once the ball went out of play after the incident I think. If he didn't see it then he is in touch with the other 3 officials who could tell him about it. VAR would probably have looked at it (as a potential red card offence) but wouldn't it be against VAR protocol surely to say no red card but give a yellow? Be good to know what happened with that one - could Moss have seen it and played advantage?

Both the Telegraph and the Guardian match reports seem pretty sure that Dier was booked due to VAR intervention.

Jul 7, 2003
Fourth official told the ref as soon as it happened. Our bench were asking and you could see he was telling them it had been seen. As it wasn't seen as a sending off offence, the ref, correctly, waited for the next break in play before booking Dier.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Both the Telegraph and the Guardian match reports seem pretty sure that Dier was booked due to VAR intervention.

In which case, I'm pretty sure both the Telegraph and Guardian reporters know **** all about the VAR regulations!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think he was lucky. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a yellow for an elbow to the head, if he did it, its a red, if he didn't do it then no card. Another example of VAR people not knowing how to use VAR (not their fault)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think he was lucky. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a yellow for an elbow to the head, if he did it, its a red, if he didn't do it then no card. Another example of VAR people not knowing how to use VAR (not their fault)

I agree - it looked deliberate to me, so it should have been red not yellow.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just as linos are not supposed to raise their flags for offside any more (and refs not to whistle unless or until a 'goal' is scored either) perhaps refs. should now be told not to issue yellow cards for a foul, but to wait until VAR has decided if it's a red or not?

Away, with your petty logic and reasoning!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here