Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] US Diplomat Wife Fatal Car Crash

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But the US are doing what they want aren’t they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of all we don't know whether they will release her or not, to be fair, but one suspects not. The principle is one of diplomatic immunity, and we need to tread very carefully if we want to change the rules, as it could have grave consequences for our own reps in lands where the rule of law is, shall we say, not as it should be. Also, did we not refuse to extradite a computer hacker, whom the Americans wanted, and I imagine there will have been other such cases. Of course it is infuriating that she will presumably get away with it, however.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Heard on radio 5 that there was a case last year in the states where a georgian diplomat caused fatalities in a road accident when drunk driving. The US requested diplomatic immunity to be waived and Georgia agreed. So there is clear precedent here.

Apparently UK have done the same on occasion although keep the cases secret. Opinion was that the US are likely to agree to our request, although whether we can force her to return is another issue

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Heard on radio 5 that there was a case last year in the states where a georgian diplomat caused fatalities in a road accident when drunk driving. The US requested diplomatic immunity to be waived and Georgia agreed. So there is clear precedent here.

Apparently UK have done the same on occasion although keep the cases secret. Opinion was that the US are likely to agree to our request, although whether we can force her to return is another issue
Fascinating. if they waive her immunity, then presumably we seek extradition. I don't know the ins and outs of this, but it might be that she will have to come back and face the music -and the courts.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fascinating. if they waive her immunity, then presumably we seek extradition. I don't know the ins and outs of this, but it might be that she will have to come back and face the music -and the courts.

Given Brexit round the corner can’t see us upsetting the Yanks any time soon

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Possibly we will be allowed to question her over there and if there is a case to answer she might be tried in absentia and possibly allowed to serve sentence in the us

I don't know what the courts would normally decide in a case like this, presuming not drunk or speeding, but made a driving mistake with fatal consequences. Is a custodial sentence certain here?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Possibly we will be allowed to question her over there and if there is a case to answer she might be tried in absentia and possibly allowed to serve sentence in the us

I don't know what the courts would normally decide in a case like this, presuming not drunk or speeding, but made a driving mistake with fatal consequences. Is a custodial sentence certain here?

Harry's parents are acting with great dignity. They were on the news saying they would ask for a suspended sentence, as anyone could have an accident.
They just want her to own up instead of running away.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If there really was a "Special Relationship" between the UK and the USA then there wouldn't be any question the woman would be returned to the UK to face justice.

The fact she was spirited out of the country, and that she already hasn't seen sent back now the issue is in the global media, tells me the "Special Relationship" is baseless and meaningless.

If this diplomat had been French or German I can't help thinking the outcome might have been different.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Don't be so silly. She did something stupid on the roads, and I am certain that it was not intended. Whether she should then come back to face justice, well, that is another argument.

Sorry, if she had stayed would she have been treated the same by popular opinion, the media, and the legal system if she was a poor black man who was unemployed? What if it was from a marginalized, minority British community, like a poor Bangladeshi on public assistance or a poor African migrant? Especially one with a prior “record” of a driving infraction?

Would you have been so immediately forgiving, going so far as to accept her supposed defense before even the facts have come out? She hasn’t even made a statement yet and you’re already voicing and then self-accepting excuses she hasn’t even made! Amazing stuff this.

Rich, powerful people do whatever they want in the world. Their fines, sentences, punishments are all jokes. They live in a different world, by a different standard.

Are you asleep out of circumstance? Or is your alarm trying to wake you, but you keep hitting snooze?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A woman at the centre of a row over diplomatic immunity will not return to the UK, according to briefing notes held by US President Donald Trump.

Anne Sacoolas is suspected of being involved in a car crash that killed British motorcyclist Harry Dunn, who died in Northamptonshire on 27 August.

Mrs Sacoolas later left the UK to return home to the US, after telling local police she had no such plans.

The note was photographed as Mr Trump addressed reporters at the White House.

It reads: "(If raised) Note, as Secretary Pompeo told Foreign Secretary Raab, that the spouse of the US government employee will not return to the United Kingdom."

Mr Dunn's mother Charlotte Charles said the US's apparent approach was "beyond any realm of human thinking".

Speaking at the press briefing on Wednesday evening - after his conversation with the prime minister - Mr Trump said: "The woman was driving on the wrong side of the road, and that can happen.

"You know, those are the opposite roads, that happens. I won't say it ever happened to me, but it did.

"So a young man was killed, the person that was driving the automobile has diplomatic immunity, we're going to speak to her very shortly and see if we can do something where they meet."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The message to US diplomats is clear - kill people by all means, but make sure you're not intoxicated.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This Sacoolis woman knows full well the media furore will die down in a day or two. Her life will get back to normal in a few days

Trump and the US diplomatic people have never and will never give their people up, whatever they do. They'll expect extradition the other way round though

Raab and this pitiful government, as has been said, will meekly back down because we have less leverage and standing in the world than we have had since about 1450

Sorry to a normal family that is trying to grieve but has found their lives catapulted into a geopolitical storm

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd suggest the publicity worked against the victim in this case, its easier for the US to quietly send someone back than in glare of media storm.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Today is a reminder of how the US works, they look after themselves. Something for us all to ponder, there is no special relationship. Its a myth...

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
If I were the parents in this case then I think I would take up a suggestion I heard on the radio.

Start a civil case in the US against the driver.

They said days ago they were prepared to take it over to the States, hopefully with significant crowd funding financial support behind them.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Speaking at the press briefing on Wednesday evening - after his conversation with the prime minister - Mr Trump said: "The woman was driving on the wrong side of the road, and that can happen.

"You know, those are the opposite roads, that happens. I won't say it ever happened to me, but it did.

"So a young man was killed, the person that was driving the automobile has diplomatic immunity, we're going to speak to her very shortly and see if we can do something where they meet."

Is he going to kill her?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Today is a reminder of how the US works, they look after themselves. Something for us all to ponder, there is no special relationship. Its a myth...

Its British desperation to think we’re best mates with the strongest boy in school

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Diplomatic immunity should never cover any major crime

Neither should it apply to the wife of a security officer.
In this case Diplomatic Immunity should mean what it says.
Even though I don't think there is any valid reason for it.(Immunity that is)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here