Barcelona
Diplomatic immunity should never cover any major crime

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

That is the correct answer. But how do you define a ‘major’ crime? Different countries have different values.

Back to the case in question. If any of us were the driver and had made an honest error (ie not drink driving, on a phone etc) which resulted in the death of another person would we surrender ourselves to justice? The lad is still dead, he cannot be brought back, but you could be looking at a 5-10 year sentence maybe. But you have a legal way of avoiding this, diplomatic immunity. You still feel shit, you still have to live with the guilt, but your kids still get a parent. I doubt I would have the balls to put myself inside when I legally could avoid it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i dont see why it should apply at all for anyone staying in the country. its intended for visting dignitries, not semi-permanent entourage in residence. it seems a old concept thats abused widely.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That is the correct answer. But how do you define a ‘major’ crime? Different countries have different values.

Back to the case in question. If any of us were the driver and had made an honest error (ie not drink driving, on a phone etc) which resulted in the death of another person would we surrender ourselves to justice? The lad is still dead, he cannot be brought back, but you could be looking at a 5-10 year sentence maybe. But you have a legal way of avoiding this, diplomatic immunity. You still feel shit, you still have to live with the guilt, but your kids still get a parent. I doubt I would have the balls to put myself inside when I legally could avoid it.

I agree.

I doubt that you would take responsibility for what you had done ???

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Shouldn’t be their choice to put themselves forward. The law should act accordingly. She’s not even the diplomat, but the wife of a diplomat. How far down the family tree does the immunity stretch?

Besides which, I think in most countries driving on the wrong side of the road, headlong into a motorcyclist, killing them, would be considered a major crime!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

If you understood what British intelligence officers stuff into diplomatic bags you might not agree that’s ALWAYS sensible.

This Family, nonetheless, deserve a shitload more than this dozy cow doing a midnight flit. She’d never do any time anyway.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Only read the Sky link but why don't Sky name her ? They must know who she is to have attempted to contact her.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Terrible double standards from the Americans.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It’s an absolute disgrace. Diplomatic immunity for the wife of a diplomat? How can that reasonably apply? We need to put pressure on government to look at the rules and change this.
We should deport the husband As he was not prepared to surrender his wife.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's death by dangerous driving and/or manslaughter - a very serious crime in any country in the world, inc USA !

Can we demand extradition or is that lost under diplomatic immunity too?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It's the American way. There have been many instances of Servicemen suddenly getting home postings when they have been accused of crimes in countries where US troops are stationed.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
View Profile
Ann Elizabeth Goodwin | Vienna, Virginia
Relatives:
Andrea G Goodwin, Delta L Whitfield, Jonathan P Sacoolas
Phone Number:
703-801-1107, 703-821-8575
Social Profiles:
Twitter Profiles Twitter
Email:
ann***@hotmail.com, cowpi*****@hotmail.com
Seen As:
Anne E Sacoolas, Anne Sacoolas

Addresses:
10119 Westford Dr, Vienna, VA; 10807 Oldfield Dr, Reston, VA; 20928 Stanmoor Ter, Sterling, VA
Previous Locations:
Alexandria, VA; Arlington, VA; Mclean, VA; Mc Lean, VA; Falls Church, VA; Fairfax, VA; Columbia, SC; Aiken, SC

Anybody live near Washington?
Email the culprit?
Phone her up?

EDIT: It seems the Sky News has already tried to contact Mrs Sacoolas at her previous addresses.

Sky News has tried to contact Mrs Sacoolas for comment but was unable to do so as she has not returned to her original address in the US.

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This is very very American.

One rule for them and one for everyone else. The country basks in a perceived superior knowledge believing that no other country dare challenge it. No one does anything fairer or better than The Land of the Free. Ever.

At the moment epitomised by whom they voted to be in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here