Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] One for the techies - who do you use for cloud storage?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Hi all,

I have a Raspberry Pi set up as a security camera so that when it detects movement it takes a picture and then FTPs it to my web hosting. Its a bit inefficient (someday I need to get it working so it gets triggered less when its raining, cars go past, etc) so takes a few more pictures a day than it probably should but apparently I'm now breaking my web hosting ts and cs which state:

7.8 Data warehousing (or similar): You acknowledge that the Services and any Material may not be used for the purpose of data warehousing such as (but not limited to) storage of backup or archival data, mirror sites, or personal multimedia content such as movies, music, photos or other media.

Just wondering if anyone on here used cloud storage for storing multimedia content and if so would they recommend their provider?

Thanks!

Z

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont see you are breaking the T's and C's by simply uploading a few photos for an application. they mean the context of storing thousands as a backup. keep the file size down and should be fine.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
Amazon S3 is simple and cheap; unless you have any particular qualms about using them they're a decent option.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
i dont see you are breaking the T's and C's by simply uploading a few photos for an application. they mean the context of storing thousands as a backup. keep the file size down and should be fine.

Apparently this is the reason:

No you wouldn't be able to store camera photos on our servers, the data would need to be used on your website. Anything associated and use able on your website is ok but storage of data for the sake of storage is not allowed i'm afraid

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I run my own on my Synology NAS. Set up for access over t'internet. Worked well for me for the last 5 years and gives me (almost) complete control.

Is that hosted on your own home network? The reason that we haven't done that is because if (heaven forbid!) we got burgled we wouldn't then have the pictures.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I'm not much of a techy but I pay Dropbox I think £80 odd a year and I have 2TB of storage including music, photos, videos etc. And you don't now have to have it all on one hard drive which it mirrors, files can now just exist on cloud only now which is a big step up. If I'm talking rubbish ignore me!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apparently this is the reason:

No you wouldn't be able to store camera photos on our servers, the data would need to be used on your website. Anything associated and use able on your website is ok but storage of data for the sake of storage is not allowed i'm afraid

so simply put a slideshow of the photos on the website. with a login to the page if you want to keep private. that is the point after all right, so you can check on your property :whistle:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Raspberry pi zero with a 64gb card set up as a samba server tucked away somewhere safe like under a kitchen cabinet.
Will cost less than £30 for the whole setup.

boik

Is that hosted on your own home network? The reason that we haven't done that is because if (heaven forbid!) we got burgled we wouldn't then have the pictures.

Yes, but it's also replicated to a Rpi zero with USB drive in the summerhouse at the bottom of the garden. I also take a backup every so often to a hard drive which is hidden in a cupboard. Not perfect but it works and has been reliable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here