Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gloucester City FC could return to their home ground.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Gloucester City may not ring bells in the higher echelons of the footy world.
But their story does bring back memories similarly to what happened to the Albion, such like ground share and distance travelled by hardened fans.
It's a good read.

"It's like moving house 21 times a season," says joint chairman Alex Petheram. "We arrive for home games at someone else's ground in a different county, set up, play, pack up and go."

Welcome to Gloucester City, a non-league club with 136 years of history - the last 12 of which have been spent on the move since floods destroyed their Meadow Park ground.

Without a permanent home and with nowhere to store anything, Gloucester's kit man Mike Nash puts balls, bibs and cones used for training in his garden shed, while Chloe Lees, the physio, transports the treatment table for the dressing room to games in the back of her Nissan Micra.

Since 2007, the National League North club - nicknamed the Tigers - have entered into groundshare arrangements with four different clubs, their current 'home' 25 miles away from Gloucester in the Worcestershire market town of Evesham.

"You've got to be pretty committed to support a team which involves a 50-mile round trip for home games," says Dave Jones, a Gloucester fan for almost 40 years.

"Playing at another ground has made life very difficult. You lose all the supporters who might go now and again. Eventually some of your hard-core support start to drift away and find something else to do."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49803354

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sad fact of the matter is that very few people in Gloucester give two hoots about the football team. They're only interested in the rugby.

It was a bit of an event when Gloucester sometimes played Cheltenham back in the day at Horton Road, but that was ages ago - best part of 40 years I would guess - and Cheltenham and Gloucester have gone in opposite directions ever since (Cheltenham being the club whose direction has been mostly up!) It didn't help of course that Meadow Park is tucked away behind a shabby industrial estate in the scrag end of the City, hard to find ....... and floodable!
Good luck to the few of course - they certainly have suffered over the years - but I can't see returning to Meadow Park sparking much of a revival; Gloucestershire (most of it that's not Cheltenham anyway!) has got Forest Green now!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sad fact of the matter is that very few people in Gloucester give two hoots about the football team. They're only interested in the rugby.

It was a bit of an event when Gloucester sometimes played Cheltenham back in the day at Horton Road, but that was ages ago - best part of 40 years I would guess - and Cheltenham and Gloucester have gone in opposite directions ever since (Cheltenham being the club whose direction has been mostly up!) It didn't help of course that Meadow Park is tucked away behind a shabby industrial estate in the scrag end of the City, hard to find ....... and floodable!
Good luck to the few of course - they certainly have suffered over the years - but I can't see returning to Meadow Park sparking much of a revival; Gloucestershire (most of it that's not Cheltenham anyway!) has got Forest Green now!

What both Cheltenham, and Gloucester were both execellent at though, was setting up a joint Building Society.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What both Cheltenham, and Gloucester were both execellent at though, was setting up a joint Building Society.
Wealdstone FC play in Ruislip, having to move away from their original area and ground sharing such alike........
Need to keep the grass roots level clubs alive IMO

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Having grown up in the county I know there is significant interest in football but in the 70s & 80s most serious football fans looked to Bristol teams and Swindon for their live action fix. Most others just followed the Big teams from the TV. Meadow park is as it says, a meadow between the river and the docks. It suffers as do several local junior rugby clubs with constant flooding.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wealdstone FC play in Ruislip, having to move away from their original area and ground sharing such alike........
Need to keep the grass roots level clubs alive IMO

Absolutely, many many cases of that happening right across the country in the minor leagues.

Though I guess Wealdstone is a lot closer to Ruislip, than Gloucester is to Evesham!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely, many many cases of that happening right across the country in the minor leagues.

Though I guess Wealdstone is a lot closer to Ruislip, than Gloucester is to Evesham!
Yes, but have Wealdstone and Ruislip got a joint Building Society? No idea of the relevance of Building Societies to local football clubs with similar names, but the question has to be asked..........

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, but have Wealdstone and Ruislip got a joint Building Society? No idea of the relevance of Building Societies to local football clubs with similar names, but the question has to be asked..........

Better ask AmexRuislip, he's the man on the spot.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Better ask AmexRuislip, he's the man on the spot.

No chance of a mutual building society, I'm afraid.
Wealdstone has its raiders, whilst Ruislip has traders.
Apologies that's all I could come up with, it's a slow afternoon :cry:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No chance of a mutual building society, I'm afraid.
Wealdstone has its raiders, whilst Ruislip has traders.
Apologies that's all I could come up with, it's a slow afternoon :cry:

Had to think about that, but yes l'm with you now, the Wealdstone Raider, is he still around?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here