Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. They are younger, better footballers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Come off it.

For the next tournament Dunk will be 28 - some might say prime.

Are you suggesting Mings who is just 18 months younger than Dunk will be past his sell by date at the end of this season?

Lewis will have had 3 full seasons of Premier League football actually defending, not something Stones can claim.
The last of which will be played as captain.

Keane is a walking liability.
Maguire is just a big forehead not fit to lick VVD's boots.

Dunk, like just about every other centre back, also isn't fit to go near Virgil's boots, but he can hold his head high in the company of everyone else.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He’s just not quite good enough. It’s as simple as that
I'm not sure on that, I prefer to make the same point, slightly differently:-

'He's not obviously better than 4 or 5 other players'.

Times past and times future, LD would be a shoe in for a run of England caps, but right now the same case can be made for to many players.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hopefully Southgate will be very embarrassed tonight as the MoD pundits highlight how Dunk kept Kane in his pocket all match.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm not sure on that, I prefer to make the same point, slightly differently:-

'He's not obviously better than 4 or 5 other players'.

Times past and times future, LD would be a shoe in for a run of England caps, but right now the same case can be made for to many players.

Really? I can’t think of that many times over the past few years when Dunk would have got a run. The competition now is pretty average yet he still can’t get games. I love him, he’s brilliant for us but he seems to have a poor game a little too often

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? I can’t think of that many times over the past few years when Dunk would have got a run. The competition now is pretty average yet he still can’t get games. I love him, he’s brilliant for us but he seems to have a poor game a little too often
Are you suggesting Mings, Maguire Keane Stones et al don't have poor games a little too often?

That's my point, none of them are actually trophy lifting good, (an attempt to dodge the phrase 'world class') and I believe is plenty good enough to be mentioned in the same breath.

By the end of this season his centre back CV will have:-

- 28 years old.
- 3 years in Premier League.
- 1 year club captain.
- 2 very different formations.
- (at least) 3 regular and rotating centre back partners.

All wrapped up consistently high defensive statistic ratings - headers, challenging, passing, etc.

The only 'failing' I can see is goals scored, but that's not exactly his job, is it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep definitely not good enough for England. :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he keeps playing like he did today his day will come

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He was magnificent today, at his imperious best. We got to see his full range of abilities- tackles, blocks, headers, positioning, clearances, calmness and range of passing. Outstanding performance.

Jimmy Grimble

Mind blowing that Micheal Keane is considered better than him. Dunk is better in every single aspect of the game.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Dunk is fantastic at a few very crucial things - winning headers, blocking shots and long range passing.

From an international call up perspective, hes not the quickest and when he's defending one on one against a tricky player he can sometimes come up short - e.g The attacker makes him go to ground with a feint or dummy shot.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mind blowing that Micheal Keane is considered better than him. Dunk is better in every single aspect of the game.

Everton fans online rarely/never rave about Keane as being imperious. Almost to a man, they want him out of their first 11.

I rate Southgate, but he has blind loyalty on this one.

I thought his revolution included ditching that basis for selection, unlike his predecessors?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dunk is fantastic at a few very crucial things - winning headers, blocking shots and long range passing.

From an international call up perspective, hes not the quickest and when he's defending one on one against a tricky player he can sometimes come up short - e.g The attacker makes him go to ground with a feint or dummy shot.

You’ve also described Keane

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here