Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Scotland to ban smacking children

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I imagine a fair few Junior Jocko's would have their hearts in there mouth if they misread that the same as I did:-

'Scotchland to ban smack for children'.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sadly, this is something that sounds more effective than it ever would be.

A light clip across the arse has never really done any harm, and if we are honest that is not what the majority of people see as wrong. Inflicting pain and injury, now THAT is clearly wrong, but the sort of person who does that to their children is hardly likely to stop being an abusing C U Next Tuesday simply because a law has been passed, because the bulk of what they were doing was beyond the law already.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So Scotland has followed Sweden's example and banned smacking.

It's interesting they've done this on the back of opting to tax higher than England, invest more in public services and Remain - rather than Leave - the EU. There appears to be clear blue water between their more socially responsible / interventionist society and the Tory world of England, and this sets the table for an Independence narrative that is now far more potent than it was in 2014.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hopefully,they can manage their finances better than their children if they leave the Union.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What a state we are in when legislation is required to manage us managing our own children.

Or maybe it isn't required. Maybe the state policing parenting isn't required or appropriate at all.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If there wasn't state policing of parenting, what would be the alternative?

If you want to go down the road of policing parenting, in the sense that I'm talking about and the extent that these laws go to, then the state ultimately will need to decide what children are fed, what books they read/are read, what they are taught generally by their parents, in fact in the end you have to do away with parents completely. Just hand children over to the state when they are born.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely a generational divide on this, I reckon.

My Dad smacked me as a kid, and I don’t think it really adversely affected our relationship.

Yet, as a youngish (33) Dad of an 18-month-old, I genuinely can’t imagine ever attacking my son.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I imagine a fair few Junior Jocko's would have their hearts in there mouth if they misread that the same as I did:-

'Scotchland to ban smack for children'.

I read it as 'smacking chicken'. And my first reaction was a lack of surprise that the jocks smack chicken. I think I may be a bad person. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Definitely a generational divide on this, I reckon.

My Dad smacked me as a kid, and I don’t think it really adversely affected our relationship.

Yet, as a youngish (33) Dad of an 18-month-old, I genuinely can’t imagine ever attacking my son.

I was smacked a lot age 11 to 15. Then I smacked back. That went down well. :facepalm:

No place for it. Not now, not ever. It is child abuse.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There are other weapons to threaten a child with other than the fist. If my 2 year old starts being overly cheeky, or happy, i start running the bath with that you know what's coming sort of face. I wouldn't ACTUALLY drown him, but, you know, he needs to know who is boss.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If you want to go down the road of policing parenting, in the sense that I'm talking about and the extent that these laws go to, then the state ultimately will need to decide what children are fed, what books they read/are read, what they are taught generally by their parents, in fact in the end you have to do away with parents completely. Just hand children over to the state when they are born.

You really are a pretty paranoid chap, aren't you? Worried about the big bad EU, worried about the state you so want to have it's powers back (not that we lost any, anyway).

I'm of the utmost belief you're a 'bit of a nutter', in common parlance.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You really are a pretty paranoid chap, aren't you? Worried about the big bad EU, worried about the state you so want to have it's powers back (not that we lost any, anyway).

I'm of the utmost belief you're a 'bit of a nutter', in common parlance.

I'm only pointing out where a principle or abandonment of a principle leads by logical extension.

The difference between you and me is in our ability to respect the opinions of other people.

Get well soon.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
There are other weapons to threaten a child with other than the fist.

To anyone who thinks you smack with a fist.. that's called a 'punch'...

I can count on one hand the times I've smacked my children in the combined 40 years they've been on this planet. Each time was for one where stupidity had put them in mortal danger (and we're talking running out into the road as one of them). A four year old, unless actually hit by a car, will not understand that danger. A smack on the arse helped them remember - and it never happened again.

They're not scarred by it, and have both told me (now they're grown up) that they'd have done the same in my situation. A smack on the backside, for me, was the ultimate 'last resort'. Shouting at them used to frighten the life out of them as I rarely (if ever) even raised my voice to them.

Again, I can count on one hand the amount of times I was smacked as a child - and I'll never forget what for, and never did it again.

However, times have changed - and if you can 'reason' with a child then all the better I suppose.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

Just to reassure you, the law clearly incorporates space for bad parenting. There was a judgement in case law that said something along the lines of: ‘Society must be willing to tolerate very diverse standards of parenting including the eccentric, the barely adequate and the inconsistent’. An example of that is in practice is is those parents in the Argus the other week who let their children do what they want.

I think rather than an insidious intervention of this state this is an attempt to safeguard children. Whilst some parents might might be able to stop at a light tap, the fact is that a lot can't. If this law stops children turning up at school with bruises and being scared to go back home in the evening, then I view that as a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here