Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've heard this for a long time but I still don't understand what the benefit of franchises actually gives over the county system we currently have.

Depends on what you believe the issues actually are.

There is an argument that the step up from County 4 day cricket to Test cricket is too wide, by condensing the best players into 8 franchise teams the quality will be better at that level and the gap reduce.

County championship cricket is currently watched by a group of members who are OAPs and the clubs make no money from it.

The one day competitions are roundly ignored by all.

T20 is the only format of the game actually growing in the country.

County cricket needs an overhaul, the two one day cups are a waste and championship needs more focus.

Personally I don't agree that franchise cricket will help, just make it tougher for players to get picked up. I can't believe Middlesex or Slurrey would have taken a chance on a young bowler picking up bags of wickets in Sussex league cricket like we did with Jofra. He might have got there eventually but we would have not had him in an England shirt till much later.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There are seven set salary bands, with up to two players to be picked at each of the following levels: £125,000, £100,000, £75,000, £60,000, £50,000, £40,000 and £30,000. Captains will receive a bonus of £10,000.

The women's seven salary brackets are: £15,000, £12,000, £9,000, £7,200, £6,000, £4,800 and £3,600. The captains will receive a £1,200 bonus.

Wait for it...........

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Nope there will still be T20 too. As I understand it the ECB don't make TV money on the T20 format so have brought in The Hundred so they can own the rights wholly.

The whole thing is about££££££. The only people who have come out in favour are those players, pundits, sponsors with their noses in the trough. Those have us who are cricket fans have been told it's not aimed at us. They claim to be aiming at women and children - have they been to sold out Hove where there are plenty of both? None will be going to a 100 game because there's not a men's one within 50 miles!

Franchise, pointless, sh1t cricket - think MK Dons nicking your best players (Archer; Jordan) who Sussex spent years nurturing and developing. I hope it crashes and burns, except they've put so much money into it that may well bankrupt English cricket.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

There is an argument that the step up from County 4 day cricket to Test cricket is too wide, by condensing the best players into 8 franchise teams the quality will be better at that level and the gap reduce.

County championship cricket is currently watched by a group of members who are OAPs and the clubs make no money from it.

County cricket needs an overhaul, the two one day cups are a waste and championship needs more focus.

Personally I don't agree that franchise cricket will help, just make it tougher for players to get picked up. I can't believe Middlesex or Slurrey would have taken a chance on a young bowler picking up bags of wickets in Sussex league cricket like we did with Jofra. He might have got there eventually but we would have not had him in an England shirt till much later.

And if the aforesaid OAP’s attempt to attend future County Championship games at the times of year they are talking about scheduling them, they’ll likely die of Pneumonia

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
It will increase income (or so they hope)

None of this extra income will go to the counties or the development of cricket generally, as it will go straight out on players.

However if you are career chief executive wouldn’t it be great for you to be able to say in your next interview “At the last organisation I was at, I increased turnover by 300%”. That’s why we need the hundred.

But why does franchise cricket equal extra money? Seems to me the only reason is it's a huge rebranding where they can pretend this is something completely new to before because the team names and jerseys are different. There is nothing intrinsic in teams being selected through a centralised method that makes it more inviting to fans. The idea that smaller teams = better product does make some sense but doesn't account for the success of the Big Bash which went from 6 teams to 8 teams. The conclusion I draw is that it's just a flashy way of copying the IPL with no view as to the difference in cricketing cultures.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
But why does franchise cricket equal extra money?.

Pretty sure I read somewhere the ECB don't get TV rights money, for some reason, so are keen to ditch it. That maybe a huge oversimplification but is the crux of the matter.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The whole thing is frankly embarrassing. The ECB should be ashamed. The awkwardness of how s*** this is going to be will follow English Cricket for years. I have horrible feeling Aussie fans will be reminding us of this disaster at every future Ashes series and to be fair, so they should.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

The ECB has been chuffing up the fixtures for the county championship for years making it difficult and unattractive for people to attend. The lack of games during the summer holidays for example. A cynic might think this to allow them to rip it up and start again without the 'minor' counties

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think there can be no more damning indictment of this competition than that it has a Crodonilson trolling thread.
This! A pisspoor convoluted tournament with little geographic loyalty for most. I have no interest in anything cricket wise in Southampton and have absolutely no interest whatsoever.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The bit I don't get is the city names. How many Liverpool fans in Lancashire will watch a team with the name Manchester? About the same number of Sussex fans on this thread who will watch the South Coast smashers I am guessing.

The only chance this has got is attracting the big names (which they could have done in T20 lifting the overseas player limits).

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I’d love to know what Hampshire and Surrey fans think, seeing as they have a team playing at their grounds.

I imagine it’s much the same as us, i.e. what a load of shit. If that’s the case, who is actually going to pay to watch it in the grounds?
I will as long as the top talent is on show. I'm not saying this will be a success or even if I'll like it, but I remember everybody saying t20 was gimmicky when it first arrived and look where we are now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My mrs just said “what’s this 100 thing then?”
I explained
She said “ but that doesn’t make any sense.....what about the counties.....I’m a mum and I wouldn’t want to go...won’t the England players be playing for England”
To which I replied “yyyeeeaaahhhh”

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’d love to know what Hampshire and Surrey fans think, seeing as they have a team playing at their grounds.

I imagine it’s much the same as us, i.e. what a load of shit. If that’s the case, who is actually going to pay to watch it in the grounds?

Mums. Thousands of them.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd love to have been in the meeting when they decided what they'd call the Manchester team.

"OK guys, we've been briefed to come up with an original name for the team. Any suggestions?"

"Hmm, original you say?"

"Yep, something original to really get people behind the team"

"How about we just call them The Originals?"

"That's perfect Dave!"

"Any other business? ... No? Right then, pub?"

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

As a Warwickshire resident, shit batsman and frequenter of Edgbaston on occasion with a lad of 8 who plays cricket, I suppose I'm as well placed to answer as anyone.

I'm very apathetic about it. I hate the 'Birmingham' association. Cricket is a county game and the authorities don't get it that England is a city based football country. In Australia it works because they have so few big cities. That's not the case here. That said, someone at the cricket club will arrange an outing, I'll go because I always do and from there I'll see how the lad likes it and go from there.

At one of the club games this year, where we were naturally getting annihilated, I was talking to someone that was involved in the set up of the hundred. They really wanted to break the booze / Sport culture and aim it at wife's and kids as well as those put off by pissheads. The problem is, sport for a lot of us is a vehicle for drinking and its a hard sell for those who think Jofra Archer is a Tory MP and wouldn't recognise Chris Gayle in a supermarket. I predict after season 1, they will go back to the core market when everyone panics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here