Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] F365 Article: Why the statistics offer hope for Graham Potter’s Brighton...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Very good article. when is Trossard available?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do we rate it a good articles because it is not condemning us?

I don't think so. It is a realistic view. Our hopes could still evaporatd bdfore our eyes, but we shohld gave beaten West Ham, and Burnley, and Newcastle. Just wjnnjng obe of those would have made a difference.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes interesting. Statistically things look ok. What statistics do not fully account for in my mind are the instances of individual brilliance which are often needed for goals in the PL. Take Andone's goal v Palace or indeed Knocky's goal v them at Palace. We do not have that so much in our team now. OK Burnley scored in the last minute or so with their only shot on target but it was a great effort and Southampton's first was pretty special. We only seem to have ONE player in our squad who can do this now, Trossard. So much depends on him. It is not really enough.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Excellent read backed up with statistics - my increasingly preferred method of evaluation.

I’m in a tricky position this season as I can’t get to many games for a variety of reasons so I’ll get the usual ‘your comment isn’t as valid’ Brigade jumping on me but FWIW the stats back up what I’ve seen on the pitch and long may it continue as we will give some teams a relative premier league spanking - 2/3-0.

Trossard fitness is key, as is luck changing for the forwards in front of goal.

Creating more chances, having more shots, the quality of the chances is dramatically improved from under Hughton (xG 0.86 to 1.68) and think we can all agree it’s much more aesthetically pleasing and the players look happier on the pitch.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes interesting. Statistically things look ok. What statistics do not fully account for in my mind are the instances of individual brilliance which are often needed for goals in the PL. Take Andone's goal v Palace or indeed Knocky's goal v them at Palace. We do not have that so much in our team now. OK Burnley scored in the last minute or so with their only shot on target but it was a great effort and Southampton's first was pretty special. We only seem to have ONE player in our squad who can do this now, Trossard. So much depends on him. It is not really enough.

Maupay and Connolly written off after 7 games. Ship 'em out at Christmas!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’d like to see Murray start vs. Spurs, he is due a goal.

He is due a goal?

There are probably reasons for that. That doesn’t imply he is any more likely to score if he plays tomorrow. In the same way that if you’ve tossed 5 heads in a row, it doesn’t mean that tails is due on the next flip.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Can't really disagree with any of that article. Our underlying stats are good; better than they ever were in this league under Hughton. I'd rather be where we are at this stage in the season with the stats indicating we are a mid-table side than higher up the table with the stats indicating we are really a relegation side.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I kind of agree with what your saying but we have players who do special things . . .they just don't do enough of it . . . Maupays goal from March Cross for example.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The whole team should be more instinctive and score goals. Dunk & Duffy have had countless opportunities, I don't expect any goals from Bong or Montoya or Stephens and Propper any time soon either. Even March is falling short of his goal scoring potential.

If the rest of the team start scoring when the chances arise and we gain the upper hand in games, it stretches play and provides more opportunity for the strikers to score. Just relying on one or two strikers to score makes it easy for the opposition if the rest of the team are powder puff in front of goal.

In the ideal Potter team he needs every player to have an ability to score goals, not just the ability to only pass, dribble or cross. Which players can reach this basic benchmark or not we will see in time, but I have faith in the Potter project even if we end up relegated, have to build from scratch, and learn our craft in a less competitive division.

Bloom wants the club to be successful at playing football the right way in his lifetime and challenging for European competition spots. Coaching our players to be cautious is the easy option but wont win us anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here