Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Big day for ladies of a certain age today

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
After hearing some lunatic MP wants the retirement age to be raised to 75 for Men and Women because after all equality is equality a very important verdict should come through today on whether or not Women were discriminated against , in 1995 ish , the retirement age (state pension due ) for Women went from 60 to 65 , the case hears that the Ladies were not given ample time to adjust or prepare for such a drastic change .

I know of somebody that the change almost destroyed and i would imagine i'm not alone in knowing someone affected by the change , if they lose the case the government say it will cost them 218 billion smackers but surely if that's what it cost then that's what they saved ? Good luck ladies :thumbsup:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49907727

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
20 odd years planning, pretty sure HMRC sent reminders, they had plenty of notice.

i know my aunt has banged on about for as long as i remember, as shes born wrong side of the cut over, so had to wait the extra years for pension. was happy working, but apparently that isnt the point.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
20 odd years planning, pretty sure HMRC sent reminders, they had plenty of notice.

i know my aunt has banged on about for as long as i remember, as shes born wrong side of the cut over, so had to wait the extra years for pension. was happy working, but apparently that isnt the point.

I was 18 months the right side of the change. You may not realise that our generation looked after children before they started school, so couldn't pay in all the contributions needed. We were told our husband's contributions would cover us, but then many of us divorced so that didn't count.
We were told that receiving child allowance would cover us, but we didn't get it for the first child, so you had to have 2 children to qualify.
When I returned to work in 1976, there were very few part time jobs available. They were like gold dust.
I wanted to join my company's pension scheme but was told part timers couldn't join it. Eventually I went full time a decade later, to get some pension cover.
I was in a union, who, in the late 90s, found all the people who were refused pension schemes, were female, so chose 6 test cases to take to court, for sex discrimination.
We finally won, and were awarded the years we'd missed, less whatever payments we would have made.

Thank God for the EU regulations on sex discrimination and employment law which helped us.

Don't let any man tell us that we should have prepared ourselves for it. It was supposed to be a gradual transition but actually changed over just 5 years, and then jumped to 67.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49917315

Campaigners have lost a significant legal battle against the government's handling of the rise in women's state pension age.

The retirement age for women rose from 60 to 65, in line with men, and will go up to 66 by 2020, and to 67 by 2028.

Women born in the 1950s claim the rise is unfair because they were not given enough time to make adjustments to cope with years without a state pension.

They argued the changes were discrimination, but judges disagreed.

In a summary of the court's decision, the judges said: "There was no direct discrimination on grounds of sex, because this legislation does not treat women less favourably than men in law. Rather it equalises a historic asymmetry between men and women and thereby corrects historic direct discrimination against men."

The court also rejected the claimants' argument that the policy was discriminatory based on age, adding that even if it was "it could be justified on the facts".

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I missed the change by a matter of weeks but in reality i was never going to retire at 60 in any case , yes i wish i could have , and still do but having to wait another 6 years is just a slap in the face , the system implemented was completely wrong and in fairness to all should of been staggered to take into account the thousands just missing the deadline , i can remember 3 letters , one saying be prepared as your pension circumstances MAY change ! , another not long after informing me i would not be eligible for the state pension at 60 years , and another then telling me i would be eligible for my state pension at 66 , these letters came within the space of 5 months so not really a awful lot of time to sort ones life out if you happen to have been depending on it at 60 .

I hope the 60group win their case but expect many more years of stalling before the ( Lib Dem) government cough up any outstanding payments .

EDIT they lost , what a suprise .

D

Deleted member 2719

When I returned to work in 1976, there were very few part time jobs available. They were like gold dust.

Don't let any man tell us that we should have prepared ourselves for it. It was supposed to be a gradual transition but actually changed over just 5 years, and then jumped to 67.

You can blame Wilson and Foot for the job situation.

Is it okay for a woman to tell you???

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We were the first kids to get the extra year at school which pissed me off at the time.
I found out when I left the Navy that boys time doesn't count towards your pension (18 months wasted)
Also got to work the extra year ( 66) pissed me off again

Don't know what those women are whinging about ??

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They lost and rightly so.

Pension age has to increase more. Too many old people in the country now, fantastic developments in medicine and treatments has seen to that. Makes total sense to raise the pension age. And complete sense that the age should be the same for men and women.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49917315

Campaigners have lost a significant legal battle against the government's handling of the rise in women's state pension age.

The retirement age for women rose from 60 to 65, in line with men, and will go up to 66 by 2020, and to 67 by 2028.

Women born in the 1950s claim the rise is unfair because they were not given enough time to make adjustments to cope with years without a state pension.

They argued the changes were discrimination, but judges disagreed.

In a summary of the court's decision, the judges said: "There was no direct discrimination on grounds of sex, because this legislation does not treat women less favourably than men in law. Rather it equalises a historic asymmetry between men and women and thereby corrects historic direct discrimination against men."

The court also rejected the claimants' argument that the policy was discriminatory based on age, adding that even if it was "it could be justified on the facts".

Does this now mean men can submit a claim for past discrimination...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Pension age has to increase more. Too many old people in the country now, fantastic developments in medicine and treatments has seen to that. Makes total sense to raise the pension age. And complete sense that the age should be the same for men and women.

Yeah. I'm not quite sure why the OP said raising the pension age to 75 was a lunatic suggestion - life expectancy is in the mid-80s now and is set to rise more (some biologists think the first 150-year-old has already been born). At the same time, the birth rate in the UK has been stubbornly low for about 40 years.

We've masked the effects of this by immigration but the process needs to be stepped up. We need to increase the birth rate (which isn't going to happen); massively increase immigration or raise the pension age, not by a year or so but by five or six years (and then by 10).

It's either that or the Logan's Run solution ...:smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can blame Wilson and Foot for the job situation.

Is it okay for a woman to tell you???

The politicians weren't to blame for attitudes like, 'you've got two children, so how do we know you won't want to have another one' when going for an interview.

A woman wouldn't tell me because they understand.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another million or more Labour votes just been delivered

The Tories want to reduce tax to a minimum, which means getting as many people off benefits as possible.
Pensions are now classed as 'benefits' and are now being vilified is some areas. I've even seen some nasty comments about it old people being 'spongers' here & there. It will get worse under this lot in power.
People who are dying being called in for interviews to see if they're fit for work, under universal credit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

This, although the sliding scale of changes might have been a bit too abrupt - could have been spread over a slightly longer period, perhaps - but ultimately this is something that had to be done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the options are:-

- Work till 75
- Live past 100.

Or

- Logan's Run.

I can't be the only one who is looking favourably at the third choice, can I?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Was I the only one that read the title and thought "Ding Dong !" ?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

The average age in our country hasn't increased that much. If you're not retiring until 70-75, when are you going to enjoy the benefits?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here