Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Talking Tactics -Interesting PL article

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I have just read the following article on the PL app which I thought some might find interesting.
I don’t know how better to link it here other than a crude copy & paste.

It has given me a little bit more confidence ahead of Saturday anyway. (not much though!)

"In a tactical sense the Seagulls have become much harder to predict under Graham Potter.

The new head coach has transformed Brighton from a cautious defensive team into a bold, possession-based side capable of switching formation or style at any stage of a match.

At the moment Potter prefers to start in a 3-4-2-1. But throughout the 90 minutes he tweaks the shape and roles of his players within that formation.

Selecting a side packed with versatile players who can adapt to those changes means it will difficult for Mauricio Pochettino to make concrete plans for Saturday’s opponents."​

Full article >>> https://www.premierleague.com/news/1366809?sf220623687=1

Attachments

• 17706256-AE05-415E-A30A-ABD5419679F8.jpeg
    17706256-AE05-415E-A30A-ABD5419679F8.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited by a moderator:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
See...it's not all doom n gloom!

[MENTION=37204]the[/MENTION]usualsuspects :whistle:

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
This will be a short thread. Full of upbeat, sensible, logical, positivity. The doom-mongers will stay away in droves.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
31 what? :lol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have just read the following article on the PL app which I thought some might find interesting.
I don’t know how better to link it here other than a crude copy & paste.

It has given me a little bit more confidence ahead of Saturday anyway. (not much though!)

Thanks for posting. Btw to link an article, just copy and past the URL (web address).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dunk's raking 50 yard diagonal passes were wonderful last season - they just weren't processed fast enough when received; it was always slow down, stop and pass it backwards or sideways once the ball was in the opponents' half (mainly because of the lack of Albion players to pass to!) So, I'm not sure the following is as positive as the writer seems to think it is ....................

Potter has brought Adam Webster and Dan Burn into his defence, two players who are very comfortable in possession, but for Lewis Dunk the change has been tremendous. Now asked to keep his distribution shorter and to play through the lines with greater confidence, the centre-back is making 60 per cent more passes per 90 minutes.

Is it really such a good idea to stop Dunk getting attacks going with one of those long raking passes (now that we attack more, with speed)?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Dunk's raking 50 yard diagonal passes were wonderful last season - they just weren't processed fast enough when received; it was always slow down, stop and pass it backwards or sideways once the ball was in the opponents' half (mainly because of the lack of Albion players to pass to!) So, I'm not sure the following is as positive as the writer seems to think it is ....................

Is it really such a good idea to stop Dunk getting attacks going with one of those long raking passes (now that we attack more, with speed)?

Perhaps we’ve progressed beyond (albeit high quality) hoofing?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting article and seems to reflect the views of most of us on here that we must tuck away our chances rather more efficiently than we have done, to date; and that is the main concern; rather than defensive weaknesses.
Not all on NSC agree, but it is the way I see it!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9091635 said:
The reason more of our attacks are focused down the left is that Dan Burn loves to bomb forward :banana:

Webby's not shy of a little foray into enemy territory either to be fair.

To me the crucial player in all this overlapping centre backs thing is Stephens. The others make themselves available in an attacking sense. Dale just sits and protects.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
An accurate 40-50 yard pass isn't hoofing. That is one of the stupid fallacies that is sometimes bandied about by people who think that anything except tika taka is 'hoofing'.

You're correct of course.

To me Dunky still seems to be hitting a fair few long passes, (often into space for the wing backs to run on to) so I haven’t seen any real reduction in this.

What we’re doing less (thankfully) is pumping it up for Murray to compete in the air with a centre back. Probably the biggest single contributor to the amount of defending we had to do last season.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
"In a tactical sense the Seagulls have become much harder to predict under Graham Potter."

We all knew last season what the team would be and the tactics. Couldn't have been hard to opposition teams to know our game plan and figure out a way to beat us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're point in #7 is the most precedent [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]

If Dunk's passes were one touched across the penalty area for a chance, save or god forbid goal, Dunk would be venerated considerable more by the media at large.

The fact that within one pass, 99% of these glorious cross field 'hoofs' result with the ball at the feet of the full back makes the whole endeavour completely pointless.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Webby's not shy of a little foray into enemy territory either to be fair.

It was our best play on Saturday, it all fell down when he passed the ball to ?Gross who dilly dallied couldn't find someone willing to actually shoot and the ball went back to them.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Hoofing is a lot safer than passing short to a team-mate and having it taken off him by an attacker....

Anyway, that was a good article that explained a lot. I still don’t hold a lot of hope for 3 points Saturday, but the way Spurs are playing....you never know :albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spence didn't have an input on that article I assume? How one sided :smile:

There is no getting away from how doomed we are, that article is just papering over the cracks.:wink:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
An accurate 40-50 yard pass isn't hoofing. That is one of the stupid fallacies that is sometimes bandied about by people who think that anything except tika taka is 'hoofing'.

Oh dear, I’ve done it again. I really should stop trying to talk about football, and shall henceforth cease using the word “hoof” as when even said in jest it does seem to cause offence. What I was trying to say was that while I concur entirely that Dunky’s long passes are a great skill and a thing of beauty to behold, they did have the effect of cutting out the middle men. Perhaps now this skill is not as required as it once was due to better team coherency and understanding, resulting in better short ball passing and a greater confidence and ability in building up affective attacks from the back.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hoofing is a lot safer than passing short to a team-mate and having it taken off him by an attacker....

Anyway, that was a good article that explained a lot. I still don’t hold a lot of hope for 3 points Saturday, but the way Spurs are playing....you never know :albion2:

Possibly it’s safer in the very short term. But the result of whacking it up the field means that unless you have strikers with exceptional hold up play (we don’t), you’re going to spend most of the match defending. Exhibit 1 = last season

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here