Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lawrence & Bennet

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
So Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennet are back in the Derby team for tonight’s match. In my view this has come far to soon after their arrest for drink driving following that quite nasty car crash. I’m sure that internally appropriate sanctions have or are being taken against them but to field them tonight sends out all the wrong messages in regards to drink driving and how it is responded to.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Agreed, obviously they've not yet been convicted of anything, but my understanding is that this situation is relatively cut and dry.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What message are Derby sending out to the kids of Derby? “We’re desperate and will do anything for points” that’s what

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This just perpetuates the attitude which most likely led to them boozing all afternoon and then driving home.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Has it got anything to do with us ? Two (alledged) drink/drivers go back to work within a week of incident . Not defending them in any shape or form, but that's life !

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It’s disgraceful really but Bennett is one of the hottest prospects outside of the PL and Lawrence has been one of their last players in the past 12 months so they’ve looked after themselves first and foremost.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I find that to be a horrid message sent out by Derby. A slap on the wrist and away you go as representatives of this fine and respected club. You've learnt your lesson now lads and 3 points in the bag. The world is right again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Derby way... ???

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I didn’t catch all of this story

So I’m guessing they are now the subject of internal disciplinary measures. (result will be 2 weeks wages docked and no playing ban)

But were they also arrested and charged?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
What I have heard is there is a lot more to come out about this story...

Maybe Derby are playing them whilst they can!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What I have heard is there is a lot more to come out about this story...

Maybe Derby are playing them whilst they can!

Like what? Both were road side drug tested as negative so if that is what you are referring too...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If you had an accident after having been drinking and were being dealt with by the police, assuming you don't drive for a living, would you expect your boss/employer/company to punish you as well ?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Drawing parallels between footballers and a bloke who works in Sainsbury's never works.

Sainsbury's wouldn't put out a press release telling the world what you've done for one thing. Footballers live in another world to the rest of us. That's why they get paid so well and have to live by different standards.

Also, whilst I'm here.... I'm glad they've got the support and rehabilitation they needed so quickly to get back into the squad :facepalm:

Those involved in Tuesday’s incident know they will pay a heavy price for their actions, but also that we will support them with their rehabilitation back into the squad and team.
https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/09/club-statement-6

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you had an accident after having been drinking and were being dealt with by the police, assuming you don't drive for a living, would you expect your boss/employer/company to punish you as well ?

This. Whilst the behaviour appears to be pretty reprehensible, not sure what people are expecting to happen. There will be internal discipline but suspect this will be limited to the usual 2 weeks wages fine. Outcome of any court case will follow in due course- it’s more likely that the club may act at that point (for example, contracts may include a termination clause that triggers if found guilty of certain offences).

Would everyone one here expect to get sacked if caught drink driving (but not yet convicted) ? My job in no way depends on me needing to drive, so I wouldn’t. If I was convicted of a serious offence and sentenced/punished, that’s a different matter as my contract has clauses to that effect.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They got boo'd by the travelling Derby fans. It was particularly audible when Bennett came on from the subs bench.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
This. Whilst the behaviour appears to be pretty reprehensible, not sure what people are expecting to happen. There will be internal discipline but suspect this will be limited to the usual 2 weeks wages fine. Outcome of any court case will follow in due course- it’s more likely that the club may act at that point (for example, contracts may include a termination clause that triggers if found guilty of certain offences).

Would everyone one here expect to get sacked if caught drink driving (but not yet convicted) ? My job in no way depends on me needing to drive, so I wouldn’t. If I was convicted of a serious offence and sentenced/punished, that’s a different matter as my contract has clauses to that effect.

Drink Driving is a serious offence...So is leaving the scene of an accident!

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Drink Driving is a serious offence...So is leaving the scene of an accident!

Absolutely this, what DCFC have done is send out the completely wrong message to its fans and in particular the younger fans. They have condoned what these players did, they should have imo been kept low behind the scenes until after the court case.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Christ, I thought it was a thread about my old Maths and English teachers at HGSB :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here