Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The BBC - (Rant about Impartiality)

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Sorry for the rant but this has been grating me for a while... Does anyone else find the BBC seem to pick and choose on what news stories they allow comments on? Surely as a supposedly non biased platform (paid for by the tax payer) they should either allow comments on everything published or no comments at all? The fact journalists with their own opions/agendas within the BBC can pick and choose what people can comment on is bullshit really!

Last edited:

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
I don't think it is bullshit - just being practical. They moderate the responses so could you imagine the amount of resources they would need to moderate all their news stories? We are talking about a publicly funded service so I think the money is better spent elsewhere. If you want social media stick to facebook and the like.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I don't think it is bullshit - just being practical. They moderate the responses so could you imagine the amount of resources they would need to moderate all their news stories? We are talking about a publicly funded service so I think the money is better spent elsewhere. If you want social media stick to facebook and the like.

Not the point I am making... Their is a clear agenda with what stories have comments open and free for debate and which ones aren't... Resources? I run a large forum where we have to moderate a lot of posts and opinions, it's really not hard...

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
This is the same BBC that tends to include, in most evenings’ 6 o-clock news bulletins, a “news item” that is being followed up later in the evening in a documentary programme. Otherwise known as blatant PROGRAMME ADVERTISING.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
YYYYYYYyyyyy......no.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is the same BBC that tends to include, in most evenings’ 6 o-clock news bulletins, a “news item” that is being followed up later in the evening in a documentary programme. Otherwise known as blatant PROGRAMME ADVERTISING.

All channels "advertise" other programmes on their channels (via "promos") and send their listings to platforms like Sky so you find them on the menu.

"Advertising" works completely differently. The space is sold by third parties (usually to the highest bidder) and unless it breaks any rules the channels have little control over it.

All that has changed relatively recently is the ability to sponsor a programme and they have relaxed rules on product placement. None of which happens on the BBC.

I do note the tendency for "news" programmes to advertise other programmes these days. But's really the modern "magazine" style of news that has affected newspapers too.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
Not the point I am making... Their is a clear agenda with what stories have comments open and free for debate and which ones aren't... Resources? I run a large forum where we have to moderate a lot of posts and opinions, it's really not hard...

I don't know anything about running forums but the BBC must get millions of readers every day so I imagine resources are an issue. If they have a clear agenda what have you spotted?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they probably shouldnt have comments, save themselves bother.

i had the misfortune to watch ITV News recently, after the display of condescension, mocking, tabloid anchoring, any accusations against impartiality of BBC are moot.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I don't know anything about running forums but the BBC must get millions of readers every day so I imagine resources are an issue. If they have a clear agenda what have you spotted?

Then either have comments turned on or off? Not just allow the ones that suit a certain agenda? If it was an independent newspaper then I could kind of understand...

There are numerous examples of favoring certain agendas whilst leaving others without a voice.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Then either have comments turned on or off? Not just allow the ones that suit a certain agenda? If it was an independent newspaper then I could kind of understand...

There are numerous examples of favoring certain agendas whilst leaving others without a voice.
Could you expand on the agenda you are noticing?

I never bother to read the comments so it isn't something I have noticed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry for the rant but this has been grating me for a while... Does anyone else find the BBC seem to pick and choose on what news stories they allow comments on? Surely as a supposedly non biased platform (paid for by the tax payer) they should either allow comments on everything published or no comments at all? The fact journalists with their own opions/agendas within the BBC can pick and choose what people can comment on is bullshit really!

Publishers are legally bound to turn off comments on some stories - eg live legal cases

They'd also have to switch them off if comments were being spammed and, in particular, if filled with racist views (again, a legal requirement).

Production staff would do this work based on set guidelines. It's not journalists picking and choosing.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Could you give us examples of stories you'd like to comment upon but have not been able?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Yes they do.

But in all honesty, the BBC Have Your Say threads are totally unfit for purpose and should be redesigned. Allowing people to hide behind comments that can not be held to account is not right for a national broadcaster. The BBC is not NSC and yet NSC provides more functionality for posters to call each other to account for their views.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
It’s the BBC Newswatch prog that bugs me. One day, hopefully in my lifetime, instead of always being defensive someone from the Beeb will actually come on the programme and say “yes we got it wrong”.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Five years ago I used to view the BBC as my go to source of news, that I could trust completey. No longer. Completely biased, run by remainers, presenters are remainers, editors are remainers, lots of news getting buried.

Where is the headline news about Jo Swinson's husband receiving £4million from the EU for example? That makes a grope of a thigh 20 years ago look very insignificant but guess which one they're still banging on about!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here