Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners’ Question Time

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
These hanging baskets are obviously at an end for this year.

Should I throw them away or will they grow again next summer? IMG_1881.JPGIMG_1882.JPG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We have a nice crop of tomatoes coming along but the weather's getting a bit parky now. Should we leave them outside to let them ripen or should we bring the pots indoors in the warm?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
We have a nice crop of tomatoes coming along but the weather's getting a bit parky now. Should we leave them outside to let them ripen or should we bring the pots indoors in the warm?

Mrs J's tomatoes still doing OK but on a South facing wall, probably one frost away from being zapped, suggest you harvest the remaining ones this week and put on window sills to ripen. Really dislike the start of October, no more cricket, weather turning horrible and nights drawing in. Clearly need a lottery win and Southern hemisphere bolt hole!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
The baskets look like they have some begonias, ivy leaf pelargoniums, petunias and maybe fuchsia? Totally up to you, but I'd be potting them up and keeping 'em dryish and frost free over winter to pot up again next year.........but I am extremely frugal and hate wasting plants

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The baskets look like they have some begonias, ivy leaf pelargoniums, petunias and maybe fuchsia? Totally up to you, but I'd be potting them up and keeping 'em dryish and frost free over winter to pot up again next year.........but I am extremely frugal and hate wasting plants
That’s what I suspected but I think it is beyond my skills and facilities sadly. Mrs G’s instruction to bin them looks the most likely option...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mrs J's tomatoes still doing OK but on a South facing wall, probably one frost away from being zapped, suggest you harvest the remaining ones this week and put on window sills to ripen. Really dislike the start of October, no more cricket, weather turning horrible and nights drawing in. Clearly need a lottery win and Southern hemisphere bolt hole!

We have a south-facing garden so may be all right for a while - there are no frosts forecast for a few days. But I do think it will be window-sill time soon.

I'm sad that there's no more cricket for a while but it's rugby season now and we needed some rain to soften the pitches. There's always a bright side

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

No need to go that far:
weather.PNG

:wink::wink:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Mrs J's tomatoes still doing OK but on a South facing wall, probably one frost away from being zapped, suggest you harvest the remaining ones this week and put on window sills to ripen.

That's what I would recommend.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If they are bedding plants, they only last a season, so get rid.
Or flog them to a pub in Croydon.

They are bedding plants, so compost them. Not worth mucking about trying to save anything and keeping them over winter. Just buy new plants or a new complete basket next June.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
These hanging baskets are obviously at an end for this year.

Should I throw them away or will they grow again next summer?View attachment 115805View attachment 115804

How about composting them, getting some new potting compost and buying some winter flowers to provide a display over winter? Perhaps these?
https://www.yougarden.com/item-p-40...utm_medium=AWIN&utm_campaign=Affiliate+Window
Start with new compost in your baskets as the old stuff will have had all its nutrients taken up by the summer plants. Always change your soil when you replant a trough or basket if you want the new plants to flourish.
Also, give them a liquid feed every week as the compost (soil) will only have a little food in it which will be taken up by the plants or washed out.
Summer baskets will need watering every day but winter baskets perhaps once a week. Feel the compost with your finger and if it sticks to it and you need to wash it off, it doesn't need watering. If your finger comes out clean with just a little dust on it, water is definitely required.

Last edited:

How about composting them, getting some new potting compost and buying some winter flowers to provide a display over winter? Perhaps these?
https://www.yougarden.com/item-p-40...utm_medium=AWIN&utm_campaign=Affiliate+Window
Start with new compost in your baskets as the old stuff will have had all its nutrients taken up by the summer plants. Always change your soil when you replant a trough or basket if you want the new plants to flourish.
Also, give them a liquid feed every week as the compost (soil) will only have a little food in it which will be taken up by the plants or washed out.
Summer baskets will need watering every day but winter baskets perhaps once a week. Feel the compost with your finger and if it sticks to it and you need to wash it off, it doesn't need watering. If your finger comes out clean with just a little dust on it, water is definitely required.
I'm surprised that link's still valid, 4 years on! Is it still the best option for winter colour, and would they survive a coldish fortnight without watering? That basket looks too small; what size would you recommend?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm surprised that link's still valid, 4 years on! Is it still the best option for winter colour, and would they survive a coldish fortnight without watering? That basket looks too small; what size would you recommend?
Winter Pansies are a tried and trusted plant for the winter and spring. They'll be fine for two weeks in the winter if they're watered before. Go for a bigger rather than smaller basket. They'll hold more compost hence hold more water. They shouldn't completely freeze through either. As long as the matured basket is showing more colour than basket, or prefarably no basket visible, job done.

Winter Pansies are a tried and trusted plant for the winter and spring. They'll be fine for two weeks in the winter if they're watered before. Go for a bigger rather than smaller basket. They'll hold more compost hence hold more water. They shouldn't completely freeze through either. As long as the matured basket is showing more colour than basket, or prefarably no basket visible, job done.
Thanks. Is it too late to grow these from seed (much more satisfyingly , don't you think?)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Thanks. Is it too late to grow these from seed (much more satisfyingly , don't you think?)
Late May is the traditional time, so it is a bit late now.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I sow winter pansies up to the start of September. They need a cooler period to germinate....which they won't if they're still in their packet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here