Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson and Charlotte Edwardes

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I think I know the answer to this but why, if Boris Johnson has been accused of something that could be construed as sexual assault, isn't he suing Charlotte Edwardes for libel?

And, moreover, why has no journalist asked if he is going to sue her?

Is it the same reason David Beckham and Gordon Ramsay never sued The Sun for alleging they had extra-marital affairs?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just happens to write the story as she gets new job as a journalist. :yawn:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If he sued for slander/ defamation of character :)laugh:) wouldn’t the burden of proof be on him? He’d have to prove she lied.

It would be on the balance of probabilities. However with no evidence except one persons word against another it would be a pointless risk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Why now? You would have thought she would have had plenty of opportunity to report this since it is alleged to have happened.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If he sued for slander/ defamation of character :)laugh:) wouldn’t the burden of proof be on him? He’d have to prove she lied.

No. the burden of proof would be on her BUT for defamation to be proved, he'd have to show that the libel damaged his character. I think that a guy who'd been sacked twice for lying, who has had several extra-marital affairs and at least one child born out of wedlock would be on thin ice. He'd have to answer a lot of questions under oath and it wouldn't be pretty reading.

And, even if he won, the damages would be meagre. I think I've mentioned before about the first time I was sued for libel. We brazened it out, as the plaintiff was such an unsavoury character with a long list of convictions, that my brief thought he'd get a penny damages at best and have to pay his costs - the plaintiff dropped the case.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Why now? You would have thought she would have had plenty of opportunity to report this since it is alleged to have happened.

This kind of argument always gets trotted out in situations like this. It is up to the victim to decide when she or he is ready to talk about something so painful.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why should she make these accusations 20 years after the alleged event and co incidentally when Boris is on the rack? I wonder.what he motive is.

Interesting – but well done if intentional – turn of phrase there, BG :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here