Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match Day Routine - Showcasing Brighton

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Hello fellow NSC'ers...

I have a very important US client coming to the UK this weekend, it's his first time here and I am taking him to the game.

He is arriving into Gatwick at 08:40am and I am in two minds about driving/train to get to the AMEX and what to do afterwards, what would be your perfect pre match/post match routine if your showcasing Brighton and the UK to a newbie?

I normally drive down to the game and walk from Wild Park but am thinking breakfast at the Marina, Racecourse P&R and then venture into the laines or the Pier for Fish and Chips afterwards?

Any advice appreciated.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Train from Gatwick and traditional Fish 'n' Chips before the match in town, up to the Amex to see us beat Spuds and then .... dog racing / marina / bars in town???

The Salt Room?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ditch the car.

Train into Brighton. Get a breakfast at one of our delightful cafes. Get a swift beer in, then get a train about 11.15. Another beer in Dick's Bar on arrival.

After, no point having small talk in a train queue, either concourse beer, or Dick's Bar, allow trains to calm down for at least 30 mins or so, then back into Brighton, pub crawl from the North Laine down to the sea front. Regency Restaurant for fish and chips and such. Once done take a ride on the i360 to have a look at the view, then onto more beers.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Train from Gatwick and traditional Fish 'n' Chips before the match in town, up to the Amex to see us beat Spuds and then .... dog racing / marina / bars in town???

The Salt Room?

I think you will find its early KO Saturday so chippy lunch in town pre-match should perhaps be substituted for a bit of brekkie!

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Hello fellow NSC'ers...

I have a very important US client coming to the UK this weekend, it's his first time here and I am taking him to the game.

He is arriving into Gatwick at 08:40am and I am in two minds about driving/train to get to the AMEX and what to do afterwards, what would be your perfect pre match/post match routine if your showcasing Brighton and the UK to a newbie?

I normally drive down to the game and walk from Wild Park but am thinking breakfast at the Marina, Racecourse P&R and then venture into the laines or the Pier for Fish and Chips afterwards?

Any advice appreciated.

A very important US client and you are taking him to the Marina, the racecourse, and fish and chips on the pier? The Marina is more like Croydon than Brighton, and surely you could take him to one of the good Brighton fish places on the seafront like Riddle and Finns or The Copper Clam. I'll let you off about the race-course if it is purely for P&R, otherwise there is no point in going there. Americans like The Lanes, the North Laine, the Royal Pavilion, and proper old pubs like The Basketmakers. Actually the last American who visited me in Brighton loved The Lion and Lobster.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Massive Qs on the P&R after the games.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If I were in your position, I wouldn't even consider a car. It will be a millstone around your neck.

I'd go, breakfast at the Bystander and a little walk around the Laines in the morning. Train to the ground and back. Some of the pubs near Brighton Station have a decent atmosphere after a game. The Evening Star, the Albert, the Battle of Trafalgar, you can have a decent chat with some random home and away fans. I'd take one or two in. That gets you to about 5pm. You should take him down the sea front, but under no circumstances go down Queens Road and West St. I'd take the back roads and grab half's in the Brighton Beer Dispensary and the Lion and Lobster. Then take a stroll up the sea front, probably cutting up when you get in to Kemp Town. Loads of decent food options there.

I love arranging piss ups for strangers.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A very important US client and you are taking him to the Marina, the racecourse, and fish and chips on the pier? The Marina is more like Croydon than Brighton, and surely you could take him to one of the good Brighton fish places on the seafront like Riddle and Finns or The Copper Clam. I'll let you off about the race-course if it is purely for P&R, otherwise there is no point in going there. Americans like The Lanes, the North Laine, the Royal Pavilion, and proper old pubs like The Basketmakers. Actually the last American who visited me in Brighton loved The Lion and Lobster.

I wish to associate myself with my honourable friends comments.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ditch the car.

Train into Brighton. Get a breakfast at one of our delightful cafes. Get a swift beer in, then get a train about 11.15. Another beer in Dick's Bar on arrival.

After, no point having small talk in a train queue, either concourse beer, or Dick's Bar, allow trains to calm down for at least 30 mins or so, then back into Brighton, pub crawl from the North Laine down to the sea front. Regency Restaurant for fish and chips and such. Once done take a ride on the i360 to have a look at the view, then onto more beers.

Like a drink do you?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hello fellow NSC'ers...

Any advice appreciated.

Before anything else, get yourself straight on the difference between the Lanes and North Laine.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A 'Spoons pig out, a few bottles of Blue Moon during the England/Argie egg chasing then the match.

Dick's, then a couple in North Laine followed by Swim Deep at The Haunt.

Kebab.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Contact PPF to find out where the Firm are meeting up. Get there as early as possible and get on the wife beater until absolutely shit faced. Then ambush the Spuds firm as they leave the station, Let him see it like it really is. He may just enjoy it!

Or i suppose you could take him for a couple of beers and a full English in the Lanes then get the 25 bus to the ground, a beer from the outside bar then in the ground.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A tiny hijack.

I'm thinking of getting the train over, this Saturday, I haven't done so for a least 5 years.

Coming from the West what are we.looking at, 10:30 from Worthing?

I don't want to be clock watching at Brighton station.
I assume they'll be a fair few Spurs getting the train as well.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A tiny hijack.

I'm thinking of getting the train over, this Saturday, I haven't done so for a least 5 years.

Coming from the West what are we.looking at, 10:30 from Worthing?

I don't want to be clock watching at Brighton station.
I assume they'll be a fair few Spurs getting the train as well.

Get there before they put the barriers out, forcing you out through the barriers, out of the station then back in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here