Lego-TMNT-Antonio’s-Pizza-Rama-New-York-Comic-Con-2012-Exclusive.png

Over $4k ffs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
not a small set though, some 5k pieces in those sets.

Very true. I never really understood the Lego technic set and these ones that actually build 1 kit....when my mum and dad bought me Lego and Meccano, it was to use your imagination to build all sorts of things you think of...for a kit, I used to be given airfix model kits

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had a set of these rubber bricks back in the 50s.
View attachment 115792

Wow..my Dad has those.

Do you remember the minitrix(?) car and road system that worked with HO OO model railways?

I always wanted one of them but it was always a bit too expensive. I believe they were around in the 60’s

TRIANGLE Minic motorways. That was it

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
not a small set though, some 5k pieces in those sets.

£8.99 - 123 pieces - seems pretty good value - https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/bricks-and-ideas-11001

Good points.

I went through a similar thing to the OP a while back as my kids are of Lego age. Started trying to understand why the prices had risen so much and came across an interesting (depending on you definition of interesting I guess) article that reviewed the sets over time and said Lego is pretty much the same price it has always been when you consider the cost per brick. Instead it is the sets that are growing in complexity and number of bricks leading to a perceived increase in costs

On second thoughts it probably wasn't that interesting...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Lego was brilliant when all you had was the little white bricks, windows and roofing, back in the 60's I'd sit for hours building crap!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We still have a LOT of lego, old and new, my lad has Star Wars and technics stuff, but we probably spent more time building cars, trailers, motor homes houses etc.

We tried meccano but very fiddly. I had it as a kid too, I don't honestly remember much about it, scalextric and lego were the top toys for indoors.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whilst LEGO was good and provided me with hours of fun in the 1960s, MECCANNO was the boys real-deal of the day back then ...

My dad was a mechanical engineer and used to make brilliant things with meccanno ...always remember we made a dockside crane with all the cantilever controls and counter weights for lifting “ cargo”. Used to love Sunday afternoons by the fire making stuff with my dad.

Funny how things bring back long lost memories. Even at 61 tomorrow , I still look back on times together with my late dad.

As Zef said though, scalextric and latterly subbutteo was my favourite “ toys”

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When you were a kid, at Christmas getting a Lego box with windows, doors, bricks and roofing. It was fabulous and not that pricey.... now....

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/...AoQzxNFihA03W83z7YFbMu1PLkqGb5OjhvDVhJy8WETqg

£650!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's for collectors or obessives (4784 pieces), not kids (it's 16+).

Lego major on licensed sets these days because of all the cheap/Chineses competition (I think their patent expired?), but licensed stuff is way more expensive as Disney etc get a big cut.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Wow..my Dad has those.

Do you remember the minitrix(?) car and road system that worked with HO OO model railways?

I always wanted one of them but it was always a bit too expensive. I believe they were around in the 60’s

TRIANGLE Minic motorways. That was it

No, bit outside our budget. I think even these rubber bricks may have been second hand. I do remember them starting to rot a bit, so bits broke off rendering them pretty useless. Lego was a significant improvement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here