Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Pizza Express customer punches a vegan

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't know, if my daughter came home and told me she was a Vegan I would be thinking "where did I go wrong, was it all those salads when she was a kid"... :whistle:

Watch the film “Raw” for a warning on the dangers of feeding your children a strictly vegan diet. Eeeek!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hmmm. No. In this situation, nobody needed to hit or be hit. Total overreaction.

You are correct, of course. He was out of order and will probably find himself in court on an assault charge.

What I will add, and I'm in no way condoning the violence, is that it's a life lesson for the girl - the words "what are you gonna do about it" is 100% fighting talk, if you're going to front up to someone and say that phrase maybe pick someone who isn't looking and behaving like a gorilla!

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
At sustainable levels maybe, at growing production levels it is not. Demand needs to decrease with a global population on the increase.

We don't necessarily have to go vegetarian or vegan, but less meat in our diets overall is an environmental necessity.

So...with a growing population how are people to get their protein and certain nutrients? Turn more rainforest into arable land? Maybe we are uncovering the fact that the population growth means all food production will be destructive if it is to keep pace.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So...with a growing population how are people to get their protein and certain nutrients? Turn more rainforest into arable land? Maybe we are uncovering the fact that the population growth means all food production will be destructive if it is to keep pace.

There’s more science to it than I can explain to you on a forum. Plenty of reading available to expand your view. The key might be to unlock barren land and through irrigation and solar power grow food in otherwise dead landscapes. Desalination through renewable energy at zero carbon cost is technology on the horizon. More cows in fields isn’t going to help.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
There’s more science to it than I can explain to you on a forum. Plenty of reading available to expand your view. The key might be to unlock barren land and through irrigation and solar power grow food in otherwise dead landscapes. Desalination through renewable energy at zero carbon cost is technology on the horizon. More cows in fields isn’t going to help.

It certainly needs deeper thought and action than is occurring now. A couple of articles about the real impact of correct red meat production that you may be interested in:

https://chriskresser.com/the-real-environmental-impact-of-red-meat-part-1/
https://chriskresser.com/the-real-environmental-impact-of-red-meat-part-2/

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It certainly needs deeper thought and action than is occurring now. A couple of articles about the real impact of correct red meat production that you may be interested in:

https://chriskresser.com/the-real-environmental-impact-of-red-meat-part-1/
https://chriskresser.com/the-real-environmental-impact-of-red-meat-part-2/

I don't think he concludes anything different to what I have said. I've not said eliminate red meat either, simply reduce it's consumption. As your link says, buy from a trusted sustainable farmer etc. The only way that will happen is through reduced demand and less mass production.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I don't think he concludes anything different to what I have said. I've not said eliminate red meat either, simply reduce it's consumption. As your link says, buy from a trusted sustainable farmer etc. The only way that will happen is through reduced demand and less mass production.

Within this thread there is some balanced argument about the climate change/food production debate. The 'vegan solution' has no more merit than the 'meat fest' solution. As in our diets, the answer is always a question of balance. Livestock farming is part of the solution, provided the production methods and locations are 'planet compatible'. Exactly the same applies to the production of non meat products.

I was particularly struck by a recent study: It takes 107 litres of water to produce 1 litre of almond milk because almonds, by definition, are grown in regions requiring irrigation which is in itself unsustainable.. It takes only 8 litres of water to produce 1 litre of cows' milk and when it is produced in the wetter parts of the world (eg the UK) almost all of this water originates as rainfall.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Within this thread there is some balanced argument about the climate change/food production debate. The 'vegan solution' has no more merit than the 'meat fest' solution. As in our diets, the answer is always a question of balance. Livestock farming is part of the solution, provided the production methods and locations are 'planet compatible'. Exactly the same applies to the production of non meat products.

I was particularly struck by a recent study: It takes 107 litres of water to produce 1 litre of almond milk because almonds, by definition, are grown in regions requiring irrigation which is in itself unsustainable.. It takes only 8 litres of water to produce 1 litre of cows' milk and when it is produced in the wetter parts of the world (eg the UK) almost all of this water originates as rainfall.

Yep, it is down to informed choice. I'm not a vegetarian but I eat more vegetarian or meat free meals in a week than I've ever done before. As a family we probably have red meat at most once a week, if not longer. Bit of fish once or maybe twice, bit of chicken. One thing that has decreased with these choices is our food bills. It maybe healthier, maybe better for the planet, but one thing is certain, it's better for my wallet!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here