Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you worry ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As I hurtle through my 50’s I’ve taken to worrying about everything that’s out there. I’ve never been a worrier but now every morning its like I’m presented with a mental list of things from getting our roof sorted to financing next years holiday to whether we continue with a back three against Spurs.
I mentioned the financial bit to my wife who said , “Stop worrying about money you could be dead next year”
Now that really made me stop worrying.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Certainly don't worry about the Albion anymore. Que sera sera, and the real fans won't be jumping ship anytime soon.

Further afield, find myself placing less and less faith in airports and airlines. Oh, and trains. Seems increasingly like trains will furk you up whenever you make the mistake of depending on them. I live in Brighton. My daughter lives in Bognor. Two out of every three times we attempt to meet up, SASTA stick their crappy oar in and we have to pull the plug. Utter utter ****s

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really. There is no point worrying about things I can’t control. And the things within my control I can’t sort out.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
All the time.

I worry about the safety of my job, about the intense feeling of imposter syndrome, about being able to provide for kids I don't yet have, whether what I'm doing is what I should be doing with my life, that I'm wasting time playing video games, that I should be pursuing my dream of writing, that I drink too much, that I eat too unhealthily, that my living space is full of shit I don't want or need and on and on and on and on.

I'm 34 FFS and it's felt recently like I'm smack in the middle of an early onset midlife crisis.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
As you get older you worry less about money but more about health. Worry accompanies ageing as far as I am concerned until .. well... perhaps one does not have the full brain to really care.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I worried about my health until it seriously let me down, but I recovered from that. I worried about losing my job until I lost it but then I got a different one. I worried about money but plenty of people are worse off than me and probably always will be.

But Albion's problems scoring goals .... oh dear.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If I had seriously worried about the Albion all these years. I would be in the loony bin by now. It’s only a football team and there are plenty of serious things to concern me. Family is first but at the end of the day there is only so much you have control of. Just do the right and sensible things for you and your family when you can or have the opportunity to do so.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There is absolutely NOTHING to worry about these days at the Albion if you’re aged 40 plus I.e. lived as an adult through the war years. Because we know it’s all relative and relatively speaking there is nothing, absolutely nothing to worry about by comparison. Thank you DK & TB for taking care of that worry for me, leaving ‘just the other stuff like family, friends and work :)

el punal

Certainly don't worry about the Albion anymore. Que sera sera, and the real fans won't be jumping ship anytime soon.

Further afield, find myself placing less and less faith in airports and airlines. Oh, and trains. Seems increasingly like trains will furk you up whenever you make the mistake of depending on them. I live in Brighton. My daughter lives in Bognor. Two out of every three times we attempt to meet up, SASTA stick their crappy oar in and we have to pull the plug. Utter utter ****s

I feel your pain. For Saturday home games I always catch the train from Southampton to Brighton (and back). The going bit is usually ok, the coming back bit is like a game of the Fat Controller’s Russian Roulette. The whole gamut of excuses is used as to why the train I want to travel on is delayed, cancelled, broken down, taken out of service, inadequate and so on ad nauseum. The one truism in all of this is Barnham. Whatever, wherever, whenever, there’s a problem you can bet your bottom dollar you’ll end up in windy, rain swept Barnham. Hoping and praying for some sort of onward connection.

So my advice to you regarding meeting your daughter is choose Barnham as your rendezvous. You’ll get there alright (eventually) - but you may never leave. :mad:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the older people get the more obsessive they get about things, which in turn means they are effectively worrying more.

I did work with someone once who was always worried about something. I swear she’d wake up worrying that there was nothing to worry about if there wasn’t anything worrying her. Wearing.

In fairness, in modern society there are a raft of things you could justifiably worry about, where the next Albion win is coming from should be very low on the list.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've never been a worrier, but this year has been shit for a lot of reasons, beyond my control. Frustration and a little anger are more my symptoms than worry.

Watching the Albion pisses me off and delights in equal measure, I certainly don't worry about it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All the time.

I worry about the safety of my job, about the intense feeling of imposter syndrome, about being able to provide for kids I don't yet have, whether what I'm doing is what I should be doing with my life, that I'm wasting time playing video games, that I should be pursuing my dream of writing, that I drink too much, that I eat too unhealthily, that my living space is full of shit I don't want or need and on and on and on and on.

I'm 34 FFS and it's felt recently like I'm smack in the middle of an early onset midlife crisis.

You are, 34 is midlife crisis time, like being peak grumpy old man isn’t 65 but 40. I was the same. Im still grumpy mind ;) There’s a lot to be grumpy about! As for imposter. It’s normal. Effects CEOs and Road sweepers alike. Enjoy eating and drinking unhealthy for another 5-6 years and then make moderations. Be easier because your friends will too in all likelihood. Do exercise alongside though. But yes, you are too old for video games equally though if you enjoy...everything in moderation. Get some animals into your life if you can, nature and the outside world is the cure all I’ve found with age. And write as a hobby, don’t set yourself a goal to write for a living that’s too much pressure. Very very few manage it. The odds are slimmer than making it as a pro footballer. But you might get lucky by doing as a hobby with a blog, a guest article writer and so forth on, Linked In etc. Definitely encourage you to do that, just don’t start by thinking you need to focus 100 percent effort on in order to achieve.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I feel your pain. For Saturday home games I always catch the train from Southampton to Brighton (and back). The going bit is usually ok, the coming back bit is like a game of the Fat Controller’s Russian Roulette. The whole gamut of excuses is used as to why the train I want to travel on is delayed, cancelled, broken down, taken out of service, inadequate and so on ad nauseum. The one truism in all of this is Barnham. Whatever, wherever, whenever, there’s a problem you can bet your bottom dollar you’ll end up in windy, rain swept Barnham. Hoping and praying for some sort of onward connection.

So my advice to you regarding meeting your daughter is choose Barnham as your rendezvous. You’ll get there alright (eventually) - but you may never leave. :mad:

As someone who used to live in Southampton for University and travel back for the game every other week, can also vouch for ****ing despising Barnham.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not really. There is no point worrying about things I can’t control. And the things within my control I can’t sort out.

You’ve always been ‘too cool for schule’ though HT :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This. All of this.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Constantly, not helped one iota by Brexit. The two things that help for me are exercise and meditation (headspace).

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'd worry if I didn't have confidence in myself and my ability to put food on the table. I'd work 10 hours a day in a factory, then clean toilets for 8 hours, then sleep 6 if I had to. Thankfully I've got my health.

I now worry about my children (20 and 19 years old) instead. You want them to choose a path in life early on which will make them comfortable and happy in their later years, but (like we all were at that age) they think they've got a thousand years before they get old.

However, one thing I'm doing a hell of a lot lately is getting nostalgic. The past has happened, it's certain - and I find great comfort in thinking about those times. The future is uncertain, so maybe the nostalgia is a form of worrying. Who knows...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes and no (I'm 53).......I worry quite a bit about what I see as important (health, family, kids - my father is very ill, my sister died last year at 42), but much, much less so now about things I can't control or do too much about (work, mostly - won't be there too much longer I doubt so no point stressing about it at all) or things that aren't REALLY important (Albion, my golf handicap, running times etc - they're all hobbies and not life or death - any worry or anger re things like that is quite fleeting).

I use perspective a lot - ie ask myself what's the worst thing that could happen. From a work perspective, even the very worst thing really isn't that bad so it's easy to manage the thinking around it (wish I'd felt the same 20 years ago). Even travel doesn't piss me off too much - today was a case in point - rocked up at the station at 5.55am only to find all trains to London Bridge were diverted or cancelled. I just walked home again and am working from here - no point getting narked about it as it won't change anything.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here