Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World on Fire - BBC last night

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else enjoy part 1 of this 7 part series?

Hope it doesn't go downhill from here on in as so many series do

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I enjoyed it. Period dramas like that, especially WW2, are right up my street.

As you say, I hope it doesn't drop the standard as the series progresses.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I felt those two soldiers seemed to get away from the Nazi's quite easily on more than one occasion. It was quite harrowing how they just executed soldiers, even under a white flag of surrender.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It wasn't a 'pleasant Sunday evening' watch, but it was pretty good . . . . I'll be tuning in next week, and I don't really watch TV.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Watched it, enjoyed it but my concern is that they are cramming in 6 years of global conflict in 7 hours. Does anyone know the whole time frame of the series as can't find it anywhere?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Watched it, enjoyed it but my concern is that they are cramming in 6 years of global conflict in 7 hours. Does anyone know the whole time frame of the series as can't find it anywhere?

I seem to recall reading that it was covering the period from the invasion of Poland to the Battle of Britain.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thoroughly enjoyed it, has excellent potential

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watched E1 tonight, and very much enjoyed it. Seeing it from the lives of ordinary people swept up into extraordinary times gave it an authenticity, and a real perspective on the outright terror they would have experienced from the doom of an invading army. Everything was normal - until it wasn't.

The scenes of the Polish soldiers and civilians in their attempt to defend Danzig, as it focused on their attempt to hold what looked like a benal municipal council building against a Nazi assault was brutal and harrowing. Men who were not used to being exposed to gunfire, having to face it first hand for the first time in their lives, and realising it was probably going to be their last moments. Just the "ordinaryness" of their surroundings made it so relateable and therefore so horrifying as to what was taking place.

Its barely started, but this series already looks like it could be something tremendous.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Thought it was brilliant, looking forward to the rest of the series.

Did think the main character Charles was a bit wooden at times though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thought it was brilliant, looking forward to the rest of the series.

Did think the main character Charles was a bit wooden at times though

Harry, wasn't it ? The translator.

Nice seeing Helen Hunt in something, I've never seen her on the small screen before. Would still happily sling something up the back of her. Enjoyed seeing Sean Bean as well, in an understated role as a WWI vet. They've set this up nicely with relatable characters who you can actually care about.

Thats Sunday evenings snorted for the next few weeks.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Enjoyed it.
It appears to have taken a different approach to many dramas.
Good to have something to watch on a Sunday night since Poldark finished.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Totally forgot it started last weekend as Sunday night is NFL night in our household. Will definitely be catching up though as I love a bit of WW2 drama / action.

theboybilly

Watched E1 tonight, and very much enjoyed it. Seeing it from the lives of ordinary people swept up into extraordinary times gave it an authenticity, and a real perspective on the outright terror they would have experienced from the doom of an invading army. Everything was normal - until it wasn't.

The scenes of the Polish soldiers and civilians in their attempt to defend Danzig, as it focused on their attempt to hold what looked like a benal municipal council building against a Nazi assault was brutal and harrowing. Men who were not used to being exposed to gunfire, having to face it first hand for the first time in their lives, and realising it was probably going to be their last moments. Just the "ordinaryness" of their surroundings made it so relateable and therefore so horrifying as to what was taking place.

Its barely started, but this series already looks like it could be something tremendous.

It was, in fact, the Danzig Post Office building. The Poles had decided that this was a potential place worth defending a few months before the invasion. 56 people were inside on the day of the German assault (plus the caretaker and his wife and daughter) It took some doing to eventually, after around 24 hours, to get the defendants to surrender. Most were executed after a show trial as were railway employees who tried to disrupt an attack using a petrol-filled railway wagon that eventually killed three defenders by burning them alive. It was a historic but ultimately futile defense and led to lots of executions and folk being sent to internment camps. The Germans in charge of the operation were mostly 'de-Nazified' after the war and went on to live out their lives in comfort in West Germany

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I seem to be out of step with others, as I felt the opening episode was poor.

The American journalist is no doubt just for overseas sales, and the escape by the Polish soldiers was stretching into the realms of the unbelievable. Given that it's a family drama with the backdrop of WWII I never took to any of the family members

Doubt that I will watch any more.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

The American journalist is no doubt just for overseas sales, and the escape by the Polish soldiers was stretching into the realms of the unbelievable. Given that it's a family drama with the backdrop of WWII I never took to any of the family members

I don’t think that’s unfair. I quite enjoyed it but it wasn’t lost on me just how unashamedly virtuous it was. I don’t think we’ll ever see a bbc historical drama again isn’t. I guess it doesn’t matter as a drama but it loses a bit of credibility and authenticity by doing so and like you, maybe that’s why the characters felt a bit hard to warm to. I don’t think Sean Bean is a very good actor though. I like the guy and he’s been in loads of things I love from Sharpe onwards but it’s a mystery to me how he’s got so many top jobs. Bit of a Jessie Linguard in that sense!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Totally agree I was really looking forward to this but turned off 15 minutes before the end as my patience was worn down by cast who were being introduced to cover every modern stereotype. Pure soap opera with no depth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here