Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Question for fellow grammar pedants out there.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Just watched a tv programme where the questioner asked someone “and you was there?”.

That grated because I instinctively think the correct phrase should have been “you were there”.

However, I now suspect I am wrong if the question is addressed to just one person as in; I was, you was, he was, we were, you were, they were.

Advice please, really petty I know but it is bugging me.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
'Lord' Sugar says that all the time... Makes my shit itch. For a clearly intelligent man he speaks like a half-wit.

It's "you were there" if it's in the past tense referring to someone else.

Referring to yourself you'd say "I was there"

"You was there" is wrong....

el punal

Just watched a tv programme where the questioner asked someone “and you was there?”.

That grated because I instinctively think the correct phrase should have been “you were there”.

However, I now suspect I am wrong if the question is addressed to just one person as in; I was, you was, he was, we were, you were, they were.

Quite right, it is incorrect. The questioner should have asked “And you was there, innit?” :drink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:angry:

You either were there or you weren't. I wasn't and quite frankly I'm glad.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Why was you watching ?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Just out of interest.......was he/she there ? and where was there ?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
It's just the way it is, unless you're from Essex.

Was is used in the first person singular (I) and the third person singular (he, she, it). Were is used in the second person singular and plural (you, your, yours) and first and third person plural (we, they).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Oddly enough, football clubs are one of the few anomalies to the standard was/were rule.

Even though a club is singular, and should therefore be 'was', that usage never applies.

You'd never say "Brighton was in the cup final in 1983", you'd say "Brighton were in the cup final…".

But outside football, the opposite still applies. "Microsoft was started by Bill Gates", rather than "Microsoft were started by Bill Gates…"

(Not an answer to the original question, just thought I'd go off on a related tangent…:smile:)

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Oddly enough, football clubs are one of the few anomalies to the standard was/were rule.

Even though a club is singular, and should therefore be 'was', that usage never applies.

You'd never say "Brighton was in the cup final in 1983", you'd say "Brighton were in the cup final…".

But outside football, the opposite still applies. "Microsoft was started by Bill Gates", rather than "Microsoft were started by Bill Gates…"

(Not an answer to the original question, just thought I'd go off on a related tangent…:smile:)

Really.....I`d say "Brighton was in the cupfinal in 1983"

Jul 7, 2003
Should your thread title not have been "A question for fellow grammar pedants out there?"?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
'You was' is certainly non-standard but is widely used in certain dialects.

I suspect if you speak a dialect which still distinguishes the singular and plural you ( eg you/youse), then was there / were there reinforces the distinction.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

In British English we tend to use to use were with collective nouns (police, stafff, team etc). Was preferred in AmE.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

I like these peculiarities. But you would say "Brighton was the last team to....", wouldn't you? "Brighton were the last team to..." isn't correct. It's the whole collective noun thing isn't it.

Edit:Though, rereading it, both work. Don't they?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
YAUTION-2018-1-pc-lot-grammar-Art-pendant-necklace-gift-gifts-her-or-him-up-artist.jpg

See, I have an official grammar police pendant. Only I'm not so well at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here