Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Hiphop 40 years (1979-2019)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This year its been 40 years since the first hiphop songs were commercially released in 1979. The very first track, King Tim III by funk band Fatback Band was pretty quickly forgotten; however the second released hiphop track remains one of the most famous ever made - Rappers Delight by The Sugarhill Gang. Personally, I dont like the modern gangster-bullshit, but this is good stuff.

Malcolm McLaren, the famous English band manager/musician, could be held responsible for bringing hiphop culture to the UK. He, among other pioneers, are interviewed in this excellent 1984 BBC hiphop documentary that I would recommend to anyone interested in modern cultural history in general.

First female rapper then? No one knows for sure - there are missing dates for quite a few of the 1979 releases, but most likely it is Sha-Rock of Funky Four + One. Their "Rapping & Rocking The House" is in every way a very decent example of how extremely different hiphop was back then compared to now.

I'll get back with some more firsts.

So, what is your relation to hiphop? Any great hidden gems you like to share?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always been a fan:-

300px-Hignfy21.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This year its been 40 years since the first hiphop songs were commercially released in 1979. The very first track, King Tim III by funk band Fatback Band was pretty quickly forgotten; however the second released hiphop track remains one of the most famous ever made - Rappers Delight by The Sugarhill Gang. Personally, I dont like the modern gangster-bullshit, but this is good stuff.

Malcolm McLaren, the famous English band manager/musician, could be held responsible for bringing hiphop culture to the UK. He, among other pioneers, are interviewed in this excellent 1984 BBC hiphop documentary that I would recommend to anyone interested in modern cultural history in general.

First female rapper then? No one knows for sure - there are missing dates for quite a few of the 1979 releases, but most likely it is Sha-Rock of Funky Four + One. Their "Rapping & Rocking The House" is in every way a very decent example of how extremely different hiphop was back then compared to now.

I'll get back with some more firsts.

So, what is your relation to hiphop? Any great hidden gems you like to share?

:drool::drool:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Love a bit of hip hop

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I first got really into hip hop in the 90s, listening to the likes of KRS One, Tribe, De la, The Pharcyde, The Roots, Wutang...too many to mention. Loved the stuff on the Rawkus label towards the end of the decade- Mos Def, Kwali, Common, Pharoahe Monch. Not to mention Handsome Boy Modelling School, Kool Keith, Deltron... Also a lot of UK stuff from that era- Jehst, Task Force, Roots Manuva, Ty, Blak Twang, Skinnyman, Klasnekoff (Low Life records and Big Dada).

These days I still listen to a lot of hip hop but my tastes have broadened significantly to a more eclectic range of music, some of which I was led to by samples used in hip hop.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Someone mentioned Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five "The Message" on the last page, known as the first "socially/politically aware hiphop song". But one of the verses was already used in the same bands first release, "Superrappin no 1" (verse at 9:55 but the whole track is feckin excellent), making it the first "aware" rap verse ever.

The now more or less dead art of scratching was invented by Grand Wizard Theodore (if I remember correctly) when he was DJ:ing at home and his mother yelled something and tried to cut the sound by moving the disc back and forward. In 1981 Grandmaster Flash released the first track with scratching, "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash".

Then 17 year old Philadelphia rapper The Fresh Prince, now more known as the actor Will Smith, had a very successful career but what few know is that he together with DJ Jazzy Jeff in 1986 made the first ever hiphop song to sample jazz. Pretty basic now, but revolutionary at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here