Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Registered users only can view NSC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With the attack on NSC continuing - there are currently in excess of 30,000 "guest" accounts attempting to access the site - I've taken the reluctant step to make the site viewable to registered users only.

I've done this because the site was becoming slow this morning, under the sheer weight of traffic. By setting the site as viewable to registered used only, it means all those guest accounts aren't creating SQL load on NSC's backend database, which means the load on the site reduces dramatically and, all being well, it should remain operational.

I hope to return things to normal ASAP, but this may require technical help during the working week, ie not today.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Circle the wagons :thumbsup:

ca293-6a00d83451bc4a69e2017c31d090b7970b-800wi.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Good move, I wouldn’t mind this being permanent.

If you made it permanent you'd see quite a drop in new members as there'd be nothing to draw people in.

Good move by Bozza and what will start to happen is the bots will start looking elsewhere as they're getting nowhere. They're like burglars... they choose the easiest target and if you look like effort, they move on.

As I've said before, you poke your head over the parapet - and the bullets start flying. We're currently having a quiet cuppa in the trench at the moment. :smile:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Maybe I'm showing my age, or just being dumb, but what do these 30,000 Chinese and Russian bots actually hope to achieve?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Maybe I'm showing my age, or just being dumb, but what do these 30,000 Chinese and Russian bots actually hope to achieve?

An unanswerable question, really.

They achieve the equivalent of tripping the electric and turning the site off, which gains them absolutely nothing apart from some kudos amongst other sad-acts.

Some of them see it as practice to bring down the big sites, and that's when they start asking for payment - and some companies do actually pay up!

I say we offer them Locadia and Bong to go away. :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you made it permanent you'd see quite a drop in new members as there'd be nothing to draw people in.

Good move by Bozza and what will start to happen is the bots will start looking elsewhere as they're getting nowhere. They're like burglars... they choose the easiest target and if you look like effort, they move on.

As I've said before, you poke your head over the parapet - and the bullets start flying. We're currently having a quiet cuppa in the trench at the moment. :smile:
People will still be able to see that NSC exists, and presumably they can register if they want to. NSC isn't the only football chat site that you have to register before you can browse.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
With the attack on NSC continuing - there are currently in excess of 30,000 "guest" accounts attempting to access the site - I've taken the reluctant step to make the site viewable to registered users only.

I've done this because the site was becoming slow this morning, under the sheer weight of traffic. By setting the site as viewable to registered used only, it means all those guest accounts aren't creating SQL load on NSC's backend database, which means the load on the site reduces dramatically and, all being well, it should remain operational.

I hope to return things to normal ASAP, but this may require technical help during the working week, ie not today.

That would explain 13k viewers the other night, I thought it seemed a little strange. Thanks for sorting. I didn't realise how much i missed nsc until it wasn't there :thumbsup:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
They are joining Spence's noble revolution against the manager.

When we get a few back from injury the team / squad will be ok .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Should this be made a sticky while it lasts?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Well done Bozza - I’m sure the vast majority of users enjoy accessing NSC to read and exchange info about the team we support. I confess to knowing very little about bots etc and am glad to have this forum maintained by those who do. Linked to a different theme on which you have also recently acted I confirm that I for one do not enjoy reading the constant moaning and negativity that pervades the forum regularly. I do not have a season ticket unfortunately(am on the waiting list) and live in the West Midlands but get to about a dozen games a year. I attended on Wednesday and whilst disappointed we were not more competitive enjoyed seeing the youngsters and SUPPORTING MY TEAM - that’s why I go and want to be part of NSC. I like the varied threads which are often full of humour and also fully appreciate the frustration of many when we have a bad run of results or performances. Good critical analysis is positive in my book - it’s the non-stop whining and complaining that I find annoying. I still favour the view that we are very fortunate to have a Chairman who is a real fan and has built on the previous good work to build an infrastructure we could only dream of for most of the past thirty years. Who knows? It may all still go pear-shaped but real fans support their club through thick and thin - yes we all moan a bit from time to time but if it becomes incessant then I’m not sure they are in the right place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here