Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Statistical Analysis

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yesterday evening, in the 'Potter Out' thread I posted this small snippet of data relating to our first six games:

stats.JPG

Looked at in isolation I thought the numbers were encouraging as, to me, they indicate that we generally give as good as we get in terms of shots and shots on target (notable exceptions being City who dominated us and Watford where we appear to have just been savagely, and sadly, unusually clinical).

Unsurprisingly there seem to be two camps forming at this early stage - one side concerned but convinced that everything will come good in the end and the other concerned and convinced we'll be playing Championship football in 20/21. I personally belong to the former camp and believe we just need a touch more luck and, crucially, to find our way back to being the team so ruthless in front of goal at Watford. However this doesn't preclude me from noticing our defensive frailties which were so painfully clear yesterday against Chelsea. Playing out from the back left us vulnerable to the press and we found ourselves giving the ball away or being caught in possession.

With this in mind I wanted to look at the whole season so far, for all teams, to see how we stack up. Are we, statistically speaking, as poor as some think we are? Or just woefully goal shy as others think? Both? So that's what I've been doing with my Sunday morning.

A few notes on the data itself. I'm using data from - http://www.football-data.co.uk/englandm.php . It has not yet been updated with yesterday's games. I think they only update when all the fixtures for that week have been played. This means it only includes the first six games. I'm happy to revisit this on Tuesday once the final fixture on Monday has been played.

I decided to disregard shots not on target as the data isn't granular enough to warrant its inclusion. A shot not on target may have been blocked or been sliced out for a throw in etc etc. It isn't defined in the dataset and thus there's no way of knowing. I felt it could potentially skew things.

Lastly, the goals scored value will include own goals and penalties. Much like shots not on target they're not defined to that level in the dataset so I'm having to just include them here despite their inclusion having an effect on the data.

First up, here's the raw data. It's concerned solely with shots on target (SOT), shots faced on target (SFOT), goals scored (GS), goals conceded (GS) and the percentages of goals scored / conceded to SOT / SFOT.

raw_data.JPG

Appreciate a block of numbers like that is pretty dull to read so I've put together some shiny graphs. First up is the percentage of GS against SOT:

shots_to_goals.JPG

Some numbers stand out there for me. Firstly, City are insane. 49% of their SOT ended up in the back of the net. Liverpool just behind them on 45%. Utter madness. Makes our 25% look pretty poor but not as bad as, say, Crystal Palace on 16%, the lowest in the league. Big surprise there for me though is Sheffield United scoring with 43% of their 16 SOT. That is the sort of clinical finishing we should be aiming for. Taking our chances when they arrive. My main takeaway though is that, once again, we are roughly where you could expect us to be; mixing it up with Newcastle, Southampton, Watford, and Villa. All teams around us in the table.

Next is the reverse. GC against SFOT:

shots_faced_to_goals.JPG

Chelsea! Wow! You look at that and wonder if yesterday, had we a touch more attacking nous about us, we could have walked away with a result.You can easily see where Watford's problems lie as well, comparing the two graphs. Only 18% of their SOT result in GS yet a hefty 51% of SFOT wind up being GC. Once again Sheffield United are a surprise package with only 25% SFOT ending up in their goal. They play, from what I've seen at least, a similar style to us with centre backs pushing forward so it's interesting to see that a largely Championship squad is faring better, in a similar system, than our (arguably) Premier League squad.

Interesting for me here is our 38% SFOT becoming GC. If you look at the number of SFOT for us, 21, and rank that against the rest of the league we're joint 4th with Leicester and Man City, behind Palace :)facepalm:) in third, Everton in second and Liverpool in first. Statistically speaking we don't open ourselves up to many SFOT it's just that, when we do, there's a decent chance of them rippling the net.

What does this tell us? Personally speaking these numbers are saying that both the camps I mentioned earlier have a case. We are letting in 38% of the shots we face and we're only putting away 25% of the shots we take. We're both goal shy and fragile at the back. However I still believe, and I said earlier which camp I'm in, that if we improve our goal-scoring record our defensive issues will be less noticeable.

To be completely honest, and though it pains me to say it, unless one or both of those problems is addressed we may very well find ourselves staring at a big red R come May 2020.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The data is neither encouraging or discouraging in my view. It does say we are in a scrap with a few expected teams. It comes back to squad strength rather than tactics IMHO. Look at Palace's results.

I'd be interested in looking a data that did not result in a shot on or off target i.e. territory, defensive tackles won and lost etc.

Right now, we don't know where this is headed so any OPs expressing an opinion on whether our manager should leave are way wide of the mark.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It’s a bit simplistic to look at on target chance conversion without considering other factors such as shots off target and the sheer number of chances you create. Not sure it tells you that much to be honest.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It’s a bit simplistic to look at on target chance conversion without considering other factors such as shots off target and the sheer number of chances you create. Not sure it tells you that much to be honest.

Yeah the dataset is pretty limited. Doesn't include things like chances created unfortunately. Just doing what I can with what I've got.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't trust experts.

#TeamSpence :facepalm:

I heard on the radio yesterday that we have scored 2 league goals in our last 6 league matches.
This is the joint worse out of 92 sides. The other club being Bolton & they are in one big heep of trouble.
I don’t see how this major problem will be redressed even if some of our injured come back.
We haven’t really had a proficient striker since being in this league - if we are languishing at/near the bottom no-one of top quality will come to us in January - even if we waived the big cheque book (can’t see this).

Frankly in my opinion the squad is just not good enough. I shouldn’t be but I am almost resigned to us going down - crazy I know in September, but in my opinion major work is needed to our squad. I feel for Potter.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
The only stats you need to worry about are goals for and goals against.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Yeah, I'll admit it was his insistence on our defence being leakier than a sieve in a rainstorm in the lost city of Atlantis that initially spurred me on to digging into the numbers.

I'm not sure how anyone thinks they can draw firm conclusions like that from just seven matches, not least when we are missing players, but as you suggest, people already seem to be forming into camps. And once they have picked a camp, they tend to look for evidence to confirm their judgement rather than contradict it.

The stats at this stage are also likely to be unrepresentative as we've had four aways, including Man City & Chelsea.

If you look at the home games, xG suggests we've been well worth a win in two out of three (the other being Southampton, where Andone skewed everything at an early stage).

Not sure how to post a table on here, but the 538 xG puts us more than a goal in front of the actual return for both West Ham and Burnley (as well as Newcastle & Man City away). Three were draws, & the win rather than a draw in two out of three puts us 10th.

Opposing teams, incidentally, outperformed xG in four out of seven games, including all three at home.

It is difficult to score goals whoever you are and at this stage, this most likely explanation for the variance is pure chance - bad luck for us, and good luck for the opposition (Burnley being the most painful example). Yet the results are being used to form deeply-held opinions about how the season is going to play out.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
All fair points, but note that our xBW ratio has actually gone from negative (after the Watford victory) to third highest in the league after yesterday. Only Watford themselves and Newcastle now have a higher xBW score. And that’s despite NSC being offline for a while last week. A few more weeks without Spence being banned, and we could soon be leading the bed wetting statistics by some distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not sure how anyone thinks they can draw firm conclusions like that from just seven matches, not least when we are missing players, but as you suggest, people already seem to be forming into camps. And once they have picked a camp, they tend to look for evidence to confirm their judgement rather than contradict it.

The stats at this stage are also likely to be unrepresentative as we've had four aways, including Man City & Chelsea.

If you look at the home games, xG suggests we've been well worth a win in two out of three (the other being Southampton, where Andone skewed everything at an early stage).

Not sure how to post a table on here, but the 538 xG puts us more than a goal in front of the actual return for both West Ham and Burnley (as well as Newcastle & Man City away). Three were draws, & the win rather than a draw in two out of three puts us 10th.

Opposing teams, incidentally, outperformed xG in four out of seven games, including all three at home.

It is difficult to score goals whoever you are and at this stage, this most likely explanation for the variance is pure chance - bad luck for us, and good luck for the opposition (Burnley being the most painful example). Yet the results are being used to form deeply-held opinions about how the season is going to play out.

Essentially why I like looking at the numbers.I think I'm going to come back to this every month or so; it'll be interesting to see how it plays out over the course of a season.

Interesting info about the xG.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I think we are going to be pretty reliant on Trossard making things happen up top this season and so keep him fit and we will be fine otherwise trouble will likely ensue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here