Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worrying Lack of Width

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
yes this has been mentioned on other threads but it needs a thread of its own. I'm struggling to think of too many decent crosses we have put in this season apart from Andone's goal at Watford. Problem seems to stem from our lack of wingers due to injuries and the fact our wing back/ full backs haven't got any crossing ability. Yes this down to Potter's system and maybe I'm old fashioned and like the sight of a fully fit Izzy and Knochaert steaming down the wing, rinsing defenders. What happened to the days of a player hugging the touch line like Buckley often did?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
yes this has been mentioned on other threads but it needs a thread of its own. I'm struggling to think of too many decent crosses we have put in this season apart from Andone's goal at Watford. Problem seems to stem from our lack of wingers due to injuries and the fact our wing back/ full backs haven't got any crossing ability. Yes this down to Potter's system and maybe I'm old fashioned and like the sight of a fully fit Izzy and Knochaert steaming down the wing, rinsing defenders. What happened to the days of a player hugging the touch line like Buckley often did?

Literally our last goal scored was when March set up Maupay against Burnley with a cross.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Literally our last goal scored was when March set up Maupay against Burnley with a cross.

It was. However, put a slightly different way we do lack meaningful pace on one side, so effectively there is no ‘out’ ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Lack of width ? Don't you start as well .... Mrs W was going on about it last night .... although she called it girth.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It was. However, put a slightly different way we do lack meaningful pace on one side, so effectively there is no ‘out’ ball.

I don't necessarily disagree. But we've lacked proper pace since we got promoted really, Izzy aside. None of our players are quick. Part of the solution to that is getting the dribblers into positions higher up the pitch where their trickery can counteract that issue though, as we did when we moved March to his best position against Burnley as an inverted right winger.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite amazing that Knockaert, watching from the stands, was loaned out as surplus to requirements. How we could have done with some of his energy yesterday.

Izquierdo is perma-injured.

March is injured, ill or whatever.

Ali J is fit but shithouse.

We don't actually seem to have a wide player available to us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't necessarily disagree. But we've lacked proper pace since we got promoted really, Izzy aside. None of our players are quick. Part of the solution to that is getting the dribblers into positions higher up the pitch where their trickery can counteract that issue though, as we did when we moved March to his best position against Burnley as an inverted right winger.

Have any of our wingers got tricks? [emoji6]
Solly does have a good knack of getting a cross in, the trouble is even with the wingers higher up, we are slow getting them the ball and consequently the opposition defence is set.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Have any of our wingers got tricks? [emoji6]
Solly does have a good knack of getting a cross in, the trouble is even with the wingers higher up, we are slow getting them the ball and consequently the opposition defence is set.

Strictly speaking we've not played with wingers this year :wink:

I think we move the ball much quicker this year into these players, at least we have in the home games and the Newcastle and Watford away games, and I think that's showing with chances created at home. In this regard we're substantially better than we were under CH. But a lot of Premier League sides will outnumber our wing backs 2v1 so it's always rather difficult when those are your odds. It also explains why many of our crosses seem to be coming from those inside 10s in Gross and whoever's on the other side, as they're often the extra man in space to make these opportunities.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Strictly speaking we've not played with wingers this year :wink:

I think we move the ball much quicker this year into these players, at least we have in the home games and the Newcastle and Watford away games, and I think that's showing with chances created at home. In this regard we're substantially better than we were under CH. But a lot of Premier League sides will outnumber our wing backs 2v1 so it's always rather difficult when those are your odds. It also explains why many of our crosses seem to be coming from those inside 10s in Gross and whoever's on the other side, as they're often the extra man in space to make these opportunities.

Yes, all good points and perhaps the issue is actually the formation. I don't like wing-backs for the very reason you've stated, you are then left with a (normally) slower CB completely exposed, which is another reason why Duffy looks uncomfortable in this formation. (Also see Villa's second goal).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes, all good points and perhaps the issue is actually the formation. I don't like wing-backs for the very reason you've stated, you are then left with a (normally) slower CB completely exposed, which is another reason why Duffy looks uncomfortable in this formation. (Also see Villa's second goal).

Absolutely. For me, 3 at the back doesn't give you the coverage across the pitch that 4 at the back does. There's a time and a place for it but at the top level it becomes too easy to neutralise after a while unless you have the best players in the league i.e. Chelsea a few years back. I also think that it neutralises March who is one of our best attacking players.

I'm on the fence re Duffy. I've never been one to praise him like many on here because his lack of ability on the ball massively hampers us. But I do worry we're relying too much on two relatively inexperienced CBs at this level who are much better on the ball but who are currently very naive defensively.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bongs crossing is generally poor, alThough one yesterday was great.

Gross crossing is superb

March crosses pretty well but never looks before kicking it.

We rarel have anyone anywhere near the end of a March cross.

AK never crossed it either, head down like a dog. Using its nose.

We've seen some lovely throug balls this season, would like to see more of that.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Quite amazing that Knockaert, watching from the stands, was loaned out as surplus to requirements. How we could have done with some of his energy yesterday.

Very odd when at the start of the season the wingers position was not one we had any concerns over well no in relation to numbers of players available who had played in that position March, Knocaert, Locardia, Izequerdo, Andone, Trossard or Ali J

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Very odd when at the start of the season the wingers position was not one we had any concerns over well no in relation to numbers of players available who had played in that position March, Knocaert, Locardia, Izequerdo, Andone, Trossard or Ali J

Whilst we're have been very unlucky this season, we were extremely lucky in our first season with regards injuries and suspensions.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Yep, I appreciate the need (and bravery) to get rid of some of the more high maintenance and maybe disruptive players but it still seems slightly kamikaze to get rid of players like Knockaert with no one to replace them (accepting of course the promise of Trossard). Time will tell whether the gamble works. We desperately need pace, width and someone able to do something special - we don't do much business in January normally but we may need to this time around.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I had concerns, often mentioning that a new winger was needed, even after signing Trossard. Let’s go through those names, as wingers:

Locadia - never a PL winger. Even his mates on NSC never said that, they argued he should be our sole striker.

Andone - the same and incredibly lazy.

Jahanbakhsh - £17m down the drain. Unless he comes back a different player.

Knockaeart - love his passion and driving forward, but lacked the pace at PL level to beat a man.

Izquierdo - great first season. Second season injuries and hopeless when playing.

Trossard and March I rate.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here