Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Going to be interesting to see what Potter does now. Surely he must now continuee to play Mooy in central position. He never seems to want to leave Propper or Stephens out so maybe replace Gross.

I don't see how he can be dropped given how versatile, and good, he is.

The next game is Wednesday, so should be enough time to adequately recover too, although this may be a concern.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Anyone know if there are any rules against awarding Player Of The Season to a loan player?

Did we once hand out the Player of the Season award at the final game, when said player was actually then on the opposing side? Was it John Byrne / Sunderland? Or am I just imagining this?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I had no idea he was THIS good. Blimey, what a player we’ve stumbled upon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m fairly relaxed on Mooy. 29, 30 next season. He’s only really properly played regularly the last 3-4 years after being stuck in the A-League and Man City.

He has 1 move left in him on a 3-4 year contract, he knows what he will have here - or he risks a new club / manager / environment where he could end up not playing / settled.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I will bet a lot of money I watched Zidane a lot more than you did then. Tell me what seasons he played well and dominated the leagues he played in?

I’m not alone in that opinion. A number of experts who watch and know a lot more about European football than anyone on here share that opinion.

He was clearly a very talented player but is not as good as is made out now. As I say, not in the same league as Maradonna, Messi, Ronaldo x 2, Henry, Iniesta, Xavi etc for overall contribution to the game.

And what has that got to do with Stephens? It’s all relative but if you want to go down that route, as proven by yesterday again, we are better without Stephens.

And re: my views, I will justify them by saying I played the game to a higher standard than probably most on here and am a football geek, coaching kids and mens teams, watching and studying the game all over Europe all the time. I’ve not met anybody who knows more about the game than I do. That’s not an arrogant boast, if I’d spent more time on my actual main career now rather than football, I’d probably be in a much better financial position and my wife a lot happier [emoji846]

It is a little arrogant, isn't it? There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance and there's a chance you've strayed over it by a Dan Burn armpit.

Now, I'm not going to claim to have seen Zidane a million times because I haven't. I'm not putting him in the same category as Messi or Maradonna because I don't think he belongs in the elite of the elite. He belongs one rung down in the pantheon of greats.

He's come first, second and third in the ballon d'or.

He's been FIFA world player of the year three times(he's also come second once and third twice)

The player of the tournament for Euro 2000.

He's been in the team of the Tournament for Euro 2000 and 2004

He's in both the Real Madrid and Juventus Greatest 11 of all time

He's a world cup golden ball winner

He's been the Serie A footballer of the year

He's been UEFA club footballer of the year

And a crap load of other awards.

That's a lot of awards given by a lot of different groups many of them, dare I say it, by people who have either played and/or know more about the game than even you. They can't all be wrong can they? Even his peers?

As for the Stephens comparison. That was meant as a light hearted reference to your well known disregard for his ability. If you don't rate Zidane, one of the best players of his generation, then what chance does a run of the mill premier league player stand?

Your love of the game is commendable. Tell the wife what is money without happiness?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He's playing so well this could actually turn messy.

As well as other clubs offering more transfer fee I can imagine there will be clubs who could offer mooy himself serious wages as well.

If Huddersfield don't play ball I can't see Brighton going to court, what would be the point, no one would want to hold a player against his will.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
Mooy played in the opener for Huddersfield and was signed on loan three days later.

Can't play for more than 2 clubs under Fifa rules.

There is an easy to find interview with the Huddersfield chairman regarding the nature of the loan.

Mooy was planning to stay and had agreed a new contract but changed his mind which coincided with a change in agent.

He agreed to sign the contract as it appears he was happy to play with Huddersfield in the Premier League if they got back this season.

The Brighton loan includes a recall clause (if both agree although unlikely) and a pre-agreed transfer fee if he wants to stay.

The chairman does makes the prediction that Mooy will move abroad (must mean Summer) for a big contract.

However things change and it will all down to the player next month I'd imagine.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Tonner

Dec 12, 2019
Perth Seagull

Mooy's delivered, he had to break in first and it's just more noticeable since he's been getting 90 mins. He did the same at Huddersfield, the Socceroos and A League before that. He's gone under the radar because they're unfancied and inferior teams. There's plenty of Aus talent, not much of it gets through because their football federation doesn't develop the grassroots.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Yep. Playing for us, he looks like a worldie.

Which begs the question - has he always been this good? Or perhaps the Potterball system gets the best out of him. Must admit I didn't watch much of Huddersfield.

Man City obviously saw his potential to sign him up in the first place.

Genuinely concerned that a top 6 team will find him useful this season given many of their struggles, and we'll lose out.

Pray that we agreed some sort of sign up clause in his contract!!

He was the standout player in the A-League during his time with Melbourne City - finest player of his generation and probably only ever bettered by Tim Cahill as the best Socceroo to ever don the green & gold.
But apparently all this has gone completely unnoticed by Perth Seagull.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Mooy played in the opener for Huddersfield and was signed on loan three days later.

Can't play for more than 2 clubs under Fifa rules.

There is an easy to find interview with the Huddersfield chairman regarding the nature of the loan.

Mooy was planning to stay and had agreed a new contract but changed his mind which coincided with a change in agent.

He agreed to sign the contract as it appears he was happy to play with Huddersfield in the Premier League if they got back this season.

The Brighton loan includes a recall clause (if both agree although unlikely) and a pre-agreed transfer fee if he wants to stay.

The chairman does makes the prediction that Mooy will move abroad (must mean Summer) for a big contract.

However things change and it will all down to the player next month I'd imagine.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

He’ll wait until the summer surely. If we were relegated he won’t want to stay.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Slightly off topic but Zidane was over rated.
Zidane over rated?
I only Zidane in some CL games and WC games, and not a lot else. He was obviously a great player, but I'm not in a position to judge how great. But he was hailed by many as the best in the world. If he was overrated, then presumably that still leaves plenty of room for him to still be great. It's not the same as saying he was only average, which he clearly wasn't.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I never rated Mooy the whole time he has been with us. That was until today, whenhe was absolutely brilliant - like he was at Huddersfield two seasons ago. I haven't seen an Albion player single handedly dominate a game like that for a long time.

Hopefully he can keep it up, and stay with us in the long term. He will become a monster midfield maestro, better than he was at Huddersfield given we have a better quality team.
I don't entirely agree with you, but I do think he's been regarded a bit too highly by a lot of people.

Mooys had some a absolutely fantastic games for us like yesterday and away to Arsenal. But he's had a few poor matches too. In recent times, the home match versus Sheffield United stands out. Our entire team was below par, but the midfielders were outnumbered and outplayed for 90 minutes.

Definitely worth getting on a permanent deal and I think there's a lot more to come from him, but he's only had two or three really good performances. To says he's been our best player in every game for two months is wildly inaccurate.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He’ll wait until the summer surely. If we were relegated he won’t want to stay.

Maybe, but if his main goal is to stay in the Premier League, then he has to commit to a club at some stage. He may well reason that out of the "bottom half teams", we've got as good a chance of staying up for a few more seasons than anyone.

He may now be thinking he has got a chance to go to a Wolves or Leicester, or even Arsenal, but as far as we can tell nothing is on the table. Even if it were, he would be giving up a starting place in his favourite position to go to them. It would be risky.

If the reports are correct that we've got the option to purchase at a pre-agreed price he must know that there is no chance that we will not take up this option, so it might be in the interests of all parties to bring the transfer forward to January

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well obviously like everyone I want Mooy signed up now, he has been sensational for us since he’s joined.

However taking off the Albion blinkers we should feel fairly relaxed about this. He’s 29-30 bracket so top 6 teams would see him as a quick fix so would likely be off their radar.

And I think more importantly we’re under selling ourselves a bit. We are a REALLY good fit for Mooy as a club. We’re playing attractive progressive football under an exciting new manager. GP seems happy to play Mooy as a focal point for our team. If he goes elsewhere there’s no guarantees in football. He could join a so called “bigger club” and find himself not getting picked.

As I said already though I suspect this transfer is a done deal anyway. Given how Ashworth and our recruitment team operate I’d be very surprised if they didn’t.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Well obviously like everyone I want Mooy signed up now, he has been sensational for us since he’s joined.

However taking off the Albion blinkers we should feel fairly relaxed about this. He’s 29-30 bracket so top 6 teams would see him as a quick fix so would likely be off their radar.

And I think more importantly we’re under selling ourselves a bit. We are a REALLY good fit for Mooy as a club. We’re playing attractive progressive football under an exciting new manager. GP seems happy to play Mooy as a focal point for our team. If he goes elsewhere there’s no guarantees in football. He could join a so called “bigger club” and find himself not getting picked.

As I said already though I suspect this transfer is a done deal anyway. Given how Ashworth and our recruitment team operate I’d be very surprised if they didn’t.
That has been the problem. Potter until yesterday has not played him as a focal point. Although in general has played well is wasted when played out wide

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the Telegraph :

Mooy's future*also remains in some doubt, though Potter did confirm that the Huddersfield player will remain on loan at the Amex for the whole season.

“I think it's important that we respect the fact that he's Huddersfield's player but him coming here and enjoying his football and feeling comfortable at the club and I think he does that,” said Potter.

“Obviously I'm delighted with him, he's a fantastic professional, intelligent football player and great person and I'm really happy for him that he's now contributing to three points.”

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Anyone else a little uncomfortable at the hysterical lauding of a 29 year old loan player?

He's a good player at this level who's had some good games for us and I really hope that continues as well as becoming our player permanently.

But, rewind just a couple months and he was being slated for costing us all 3 points in a game against the worst side I have watched all season. He's also had some pretty terrible games, like Shef United recently.

Yet here we have posters claiming he's our best player, first name on the team sheet and is far superior to the rest of our midfielders even though most of them don't even play the same role as him. Personally, in terms of consistency, both Propper and Stephens have had better seasons so far in their respective roles.

I hope Mooy continues to put in performances like yesterday, but a bit of perspective anyone?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Anyone else a little uncomfortable at the hysterical lauding of a 29 year old loan player?

He's a good player at this level who's had some good games for us and I really hope that continues as well as becoming our player permanently.

But, rewind just a couple months and he was being slated for costing us all 3 points in a game against the worst side I have watched all season. He's also had some pretty terrible games, like Shef United recently.

Yet here we have posters claiming he's our best player, first name on the team sheet and is far superior to the rest of our midfielders even though most of them don't even play the same role as him. Personally, in terms of consistency, both Propper and Stephens have had better seasons so far in their respective roles.

I hope Mooy continues to put in performances like yesterday, but a bit of perspective anyone?

I think he’s our best midfielder atm and has been when’s he’s played imo, however it will be interesting to see if we pursue him on a permanent deal as he’s 29?, personally I would and he’s probably got a good couple more seasons at Prem level in him

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Rewind just a couple months and he was being slated for costing us all 3 points in a game against the worst side I have watched all season. He's also had some pretty terrible games, like Sheff United recently........

Personally, in terms of consistency, both Propper and Stephens have had better seasons so far in their respective roles.......

but a bit of perspective anyone?

Here is some perspective.

You speak of his terrible games and then describe Pröpper & Stephens as more consistent.

Other than the red card vs Villa and a poor display against Sheff Utd when everyone was poor with the exception of Webster & Stephens who produced two of the worst performances of anyone all season, when were his other terrible games? I just don’t recall them.

All of our midfielders have had a pretty good season but it’s clear that Mooy is consistently doing very well. Adding goals to his repertoire has only highlighted the fact that he is our best midfielder.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Here is some perspective.

You speak of his terrible games and then describe Pröpper & Stephens as more consistent.

Other than the red card vs Villa and a poor display against Sheff Utd when everyone was poor with the exception of Webster & Stephens who produced two of the worst performances of anyone all season, when were his other terrible games? I just don’t recall them.

All of our midfielders have had a pretty good season but it’s clear that Mooy is consistently doing very well. Adding goals to his repertoire has only highlighted the fact that he is our best midfielder.

How about you tell me what games he has been good in? I only mentioned Shef United as it was recent and vivid in my memory, I don't think he had a great game vs Leicester either and I remember feeling the same way about a couple more games. If you are disagreeing then it's up to you to counter me.

I don't think people are being particularly objective about Mooy that's all. For instance, you suggesting that he is adding goals plural to his game (he scored his first yesterday, the same number as Propper) is indicative of the point I was making.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here