Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Disappointing, Not Disastrous

el punal

Seven games into the season and six points on the board following our regulation annual 2-0 defeat to Chelsea. Is it all bad? Well, a comparison to where we were after seven games in the last two seasons, apparently not. In 2017/18 we had accumulated seven points, last season (2018/19) it was five. We are, as it stands, 16th in the table. Realistically, at the start of the season, that’s where most of us thought we’d be.

I suppose the disappointment stems from us playing much more enterprising football without the finished product - goals. Admittedly luck has not been on our side but then again I’m firm believer in that you make your own luck. That definitely was not the case in the matches against Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham and Burnley.

It’s still early days and I still believe that we have the right approach to games (unlike some on here who regard anything positive as a complete catastrophe). We now have three interesting fixture coming up. Spurs at home, who blow hot and cold at the moment. Villa away, who tend to throw away points when they’re in the bag. Everton, at home, who just have failed to live up to pre-season expectations.

With these three fixtures done that will mean ten games played and will give us a much truer indication as to our standing in the league, be it a comfortable one or one that we will struggle. Fingers crossed it will be the former.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'm trying to think of a worse performance on the PL to be honest than today.

We won only one game out of our last 23 last season. We were awful last season. I remember games where our fullbacks were hoofing long balls down the line to absolutely no one. Reminded me very much of those dark days at Withdean. No way was today our worst performance in the top flight

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Maybe but compared to other games this season we were dreadful. We handed them their first goal and we didn't really look like scoring all match.

And Chelsea were pretty crap tbh

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
‘All fur coat and no knickers’ is how guy next to me put it.

By all means keep waving flag of ‘we are prettier to watch’ but it ain’t changing the results. Don’t see how 4 wins in last 30 PL games; 1 home win in last 12; 2 goals in last 6, can be dressed up as anything except exit door beckons. It might change, but if it doesn’t are we still going to be excited with the new style when 20th?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Nowt to read into today. Expected more but they are classy all over the pitch. The season is on a knife edge and the next three matches could be telling - must target six points - but the Watford, West Ham, Newcastle and depleted Southampton performances were better than owt I've seen for ages from us, so the potential is there.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

By all means keep waving flag of ‘we are prettier to watch’ but it ain’t changing the results. Don’t see how 4 wins in last 30 PL games; 1 home win in last 12; 2 goals in last 6, can be dressed up as anything except exit door beckons. It might change, but if it doesn’t are we still going to be excited with the new style when 20th?

Let's wait until we beat Spurs before we diss the new style. Spurs losing to us would be typical of them. Even today they conceded an absolute howler.

We have a chance

el punal

Fair comment, but as I posted - let’s see how the next three games pan out, good or bad.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Seven games into the season and six points on the board following our regulation annual 2-0 defeat to Chelsea. Is it all bad? Well, a comparison to where we were after seven games in the last two seasons, apparently not. In 2017/18 we had accumulated seven points, last season (2018/19) it was five. We are, as it stands, 16th in the table. Realistically, at the start of the season, that’s where most of us thought we’d be.

I suppose the disappointment stems from us playing much more enterprising football without the finished product - goals. Admittedly luck has not been on our side but then again I’m firm believer in that you make your own luck. That definitely was not the case in the matches against Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham and Burnley.

It’s still early days and I still believe that we have the right approach to games (unlike some on here who regard anything positive as a complete catastrophe). We now have three interesting fixture coming up. Spurs at home, who blow hot and cold at the moment. Villa away, who tend to throw away points when they’re in the bag. Everton, at home, who just have failed to live up to pre-season expectations.

With these three fixtures done that will mean ten games played and will give us a much truer indication as to our standing in the league, be it a comfortable one or one that we will struggle. Fingers crossed it will be the former.

Whilst our position in the table is reasonable I think it is the fact that half of our points were gained in the first game of the season (against the now bottom club) that is the concern. Since that first game we have shipped players out who have not been adequately replaced and now have injuries. We have had moments of bad luck but to an extent have been authors of our own misfortune. Our player got himself deservedly sent off against Southampton, that is down to us and it is also down to us that we subsequently conceded 2. 10 man teams do not routinely lose, we just did not have it in us to get a result that day.

We need to get a bit more 'clever' from manager down to team if we are to have any chance of survival.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Nowt to read into today. Expected more but they are classy all over the pitch. The season is on a knife edge and the next three matches could be telling - must target six points - but the Watford, West Ham, Newcastle and depleted Southampton performances were better than owt I've seen for ages from us, so the potential is there.

It's everything to read into today's' game because NOTHING has changed. We are still sloppy at the back and creating feck all. Stop writing games off. How do you think teams like Bournemouth and Burnley go to Chelsea and win ?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Let's wait until we beat Spurs before we diss the new style. Spurs losing to us would be typical of them. Even today they conceded an absolute howler.

We have a chance

I like you because you are a lunatic.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham

Totally agree with you. Sadly too many new fans would rather us play pretty football than stay up.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's everything to read into today's' game because NOTHING has changed. We are still sloppy at the back and creating feck all. Stop writing games off. How do you think teams like Bournemouth and Burnley go to Chelsea and win ?

Hiya, you okay?

Last season we had 32% of the possession at Chelsea and three shots. Today it was nearly 50-50 with eight shots from us.

We should have aimed to get summat though, your implication is right. Sheff U did.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Good Lord. Are people really saying today was the worst PL performance we’ve put in since coming up?
Seriously?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here