Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The return of Spitting Image

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Will definitely be pants. Even the original spitting image was pants after the joke wore a bit thin... Thatcher, Kinnock, Steel, Tebbit, Hattersly... These were people you could parady.

It went pants the same time Major took over and the only joke they had was he was grey and pushed peas around his plate. Because he was grey and boring, it didn't work as a joke.

Johnson, Corbyn, Trump... They are already cartoon characters. You can't parody those that are a parody already.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Roger Moore loved his puppet, and the parody of his ‘wooden’ acting, and asked to have his puppet when the show stopped running, and proudly displayed it at home. Hattersley, by contrast, is said to have hated his puppet, a literal ‘spitting’ image.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
They won't be able to get away with what they used to, but I'm sure it'll be funny all the same.

I loved that programme. :smile:

There are SUCH rich pickings out there at the moment that there should be no excuses for it not being at least as funny as it used to be - except that in today's exceptionally repressive climate it seems impossible to level any kind of criticism at anyone without a depressing, howling backlash. Spitting Image makers might find themselves "disappeared" if they cause offence to our corrupt, immovable regime.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oh come on. There are such rich pickings out there that if they get the right people writing the scripts it has the potential to be brilliant. There’s a lot out there that won’t remember the original (Young, and old!).

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Roger Moore loved his puppet, and the parody of his ‘wooden’ acting, and asked to have his puppet when the show stopped running, and proudly displayed it at home. Hattersley, by contrast, is said to have hated his puppet, a literal ‘spitting’ image.

The same with Phil Collins, he enjoyed the parody song they did of him “I’m so lonely” where every time he split up with someone he wrote another album. He liked it so much they ask if they would make the Genesis “land of confusion” video.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
How can you make what’s going on in politics currently even funnier... political satire is dead :lol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can't wait. Diane Abbott with her calculator, Rees-Mogg as a 1920's American gangster, Trump with a big ginger cat on his head and Jess Phillips as a Peaky Blinders member!

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It was a tragedy that Spitting Image wasn't around when the John Major and Edwina fling came to light. They portrayed John as the grey boring man with nothing interesting about him, talking to Norma about his peas. In reality he was swinging from the chandeliers with Edwina. What rich fodder that would have provided.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
There's an almost endless supply of material out there atm. If they choose not to be shackled by political correctness, it could be very funny.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There's an almost endless supply of material out there atm. If they choose not to be shackled by political correctness, it could be very funny.

I'm not sure Spitting Image was "politically incorrect" at all , it was just made at a time when you had lots of material and characters to satirise. The USA had an actor as PM (that as we now know was suffering from early dementia) and a PM in the UK who was becoming increasingly detached from her own cabinet.

Spitting image stopped because it was unbelievably expensive to make, even at the time.

It's a perfect time to return as long as they have the correct writers. But if ITV are going to pull it off, it's gonna have to have the budget of I'm a Celeb.

Be interesting what the public reaction to latex puppets will be after a few decades of CGI etc...

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I'm not sure Spitting Image was "politically incorrect" at all , it was just made at a time when you had lots of material and characters to satirise. The USA had an actor as PM (that as we now know was suffering from early dementia) and a PM in the UK who was becoming increasingly detached from her own cabinet.

Spitting image stopped because it was unbelievably expensive to make, even at the time.

It's a perfect time to return as long as they have the correct writers. But if ITV are going to pull it off, it's gonna have to have the budget of I'm a Celeb.

Be interesting what the public reaction to latex puppets will be after a few decades of CGI etc...

Making fun of dementia is not PC at all even if they didnt admit what everyone could see.

That may be the excuse for why it ended but I just remember it had got very tired and boring. It also lost its perceived neutrality and gone very anti royalist.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Making fun of dementia is not PC at all even if they didnt admit what everyone could see.

Of course not, but it only retrospectively known. Before that you had a similar situation of a President clearly not in control and a Tory party that had lurched to the right.

Anti Royalist ? Not in my memory.

The Queen got away likely, but they were highlighting the complete soap opera they were beginning to come.

"perceived neutrality" , it wasn't a news programme, it was satire !!!

They ripped into everyone.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

For your Eyebrows Only. One of my favourites :lolol:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Imagine the snowflake howls if they do this properly.

Problem for me is that we only remember the really good sketches - when it hit its mark it was absolutely brilliant. But there was an awful lot of crap in it as well.

I think would have to be better to survive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I can’t wait to see what they do with Farage.

Edit..

Having read the article (should have done that first), it looks like it will be for a global audience and probably sold to HBO. Therefore Farage and co probably won’t get a look in. It therefore has the potential to hugely disappoint the UK audience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here