Date: Saturday 28th September 2019
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: Simon Long, Sian Massey-Ellis
Fourth official: Robert Jones
VAR: Timothy Robinson
Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea left-back Emerson is out for at least a month after he suffered a reoccurrence of a hamstring injury.

Antonio Rudiger and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are also missing, but Olivier Giroud and Andreas Christensen are available.

Brighton defender Shane Duffy has been ruled out with a calf strain and Bernardo is also absent.

Solly March and Leandro Trossard are unlikely to feature but Glenn Murray and Alireza Jahanbakhsh could both return following injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: Frank Lampard has the worst record in his opening nine games of any Chelsea boss this century. Blues fans couldn't care less. Their support of the club legend is unwavering. They know he's been handcuffed by the transfer embargo. They're loving his trust in the kids. By May, half of the team could have come through the youth ranks. Their progress is one of the features of the season so far.

The first home win of the season, against Grimsby, will also have relieved some anxieties.

Brighton's Graham Potter has progressive beliefs. But isn't it dangerous to change the DNA of a side in such a short time if you haven't got enough quality players to implement it? Injuries dictated 11 debutants in the Carabao Cup. The squad looks too thin to have allowed experienced players to leave on loan.

Their record away at the established top-six sides is awful - 12 defeats in 13! It'll take a major upset for that to change.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard: "The fact we haven't won at home (in the league) is something we want to correct. We need a similar performance to Liverpool. If we get that level then I expect we can do okay. We have had a run of home games, but we have to respect Brighton."

Graham Potter: "We are creating chances and are about where I expect us to be after six [Premier League] matches.

"But you get what you get and there is no point in feeling sorry for yourself. I am confident with the quality we have that it will turn around."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have lost all eight league meetings with Chelsea (four in the second tier and four in the Premier League).
    [*=left]Defeat for Brighton would set a new Football League record (dating back to 1888) for most games played against a particular opponent with a 100% losing record.
    [*=left]Chelsea have won all five competitive home fixtures against the Seagulls by an aggregate score of 12-0.
    [*=left]Brighton have failed to score in both of their previous Premier League trips to Stamford Bridge and have mustered just two shots on target.

Chelsea

• [*=left]Chelsea have eight points after six matches, their joint-fewest over the last 18 Premier League campaigns.
    [*=left]They have equalled their Premier League club record of three home games without a win at the start of a season (D2, L1).
    [*=left]The last time Chelsea failed to win any of their opening four league matches at Stamford Bridge was in 1986-87.
    [*=left]The Blues have conceded 13 league goals, the third-highest tally in the division.
    [*=left]The last time Chelsea failed to keep a single clean sheet in their opening seven top-flight games was in 1990-91.
    [*=left]Tammy Abraham has scored seven goals in his last four league matches.
    [*=left]Kepa Arrizabalaga has conceded more Premier League goals (13) than he has made league saves (10).

Albion

• [*=left]Brighton are winless in five league matches (D3, L2).
    [*=left]They have won only one of their last 15 league games.
    [*=left]Brighton have taken just one point from 13 Premier League away games at established top-six opposition (D1, L12).
    [*=left]The Seagulls have failed to score in 22 of their 41 away league games since their promotion in 2017.
    [*=left]Lewis Dunk has accrued three of the Seagulls' four league yellow cards this term.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Undoubtedly we have injuries, and yet we still have the players to play the way we want. Potter has massively increased the size of the squad by having the balls to play the kids. Could easily see Alzate and Connolly start today

I agree - was very impressed with how we played at Newcastle considering the injuries we have and the team that started. Such a shame we didn't get the goal we deserved (again). It's likely we'll lose today of course, but you never know considering Chelsea aren't world beaters at the moment - we might surprise them!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is the first time since we got promoted that I believe that we can go to a top team, away from home, and get something rather than try not to lose by too many or get rolled over.

I hope that feeling doesn’t disappear in the first half hour. We play a very risky away game when we play teams who score goals.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
That old pic of Stamford Bridge takes me back to the couple of times in the 70’s when I went there . I was too young to realise what a flash ethos the club has.
Today ? I have a mood of cautious optimism. ... No predictions but maybe, just maybe Lady Luck will smile on us with VAR and Connolly might avoid hitting the bar or have it cleared off the line .

Crossing fingers and all else :albion2:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We are the go-to team for breaking long running records. It's about time we broke one of our own (that always losing to Chelsea in the league one). We've beaten every other team in the league (that we've ever played); why should Chelsea gone on living a charmed life?

UTA!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Today is a day when you look through the gaps of your fingers when we defend. This isn't going to be pretty. Anyone thinking we can get a result here is deluded.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think we'll lose, but it will be an enjoyable defeat, if you get what I mean

So that's ok to lose yet again because we play nice football? Fecking unbelievable some of you lot :lolol:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
My mate messaged me offering me VIP tickets through a Saudi client of his this morning.....

I'm on holiday....bugger.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
So that's ok to lose yet again because we play nice football? Fecking unbelievable some of you lot :lolol:
Yep, and Mr Potter will be destroyed on here by you because we lost nicely. I did not say it was ok to lose, what I was intimating was it will be an entertaining game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here