Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOBO away 89-91

bhan

Jul 6, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Never posted before but wanted to ask your advice if possible.

I have recently bought a 'sweetie wrapper' away NOBO shirt for a friends birthday. However, since I have received it I'm worried it's a fake. Does anyone else have one which I can compare?

The main concerning areas are;
- The sleeves are crazy long
- The logo and badge are printed
- The stitching on the inside goes across the middle of the shirt
- It looks like it was made very cheaply

I have a yellow away NOBO and don't have any of the concerns above.

Sorry if I have broken any rules or this isn't meant to be posted here. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Your years are out, the chewit wrapper first worn in 1991 at the play off final. Up until then we’d worn the pink from a distant, ziggy zaggy red and white thin horizontals shirt which was great. So which one you talking? But if the chewit, the logo was a black printed NoBo. For the record, it might be cool now but absolutely everyone thought it was ****ing awful back then and instrumental in our defeat!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ps all shirts in the early 90s were nasty so it’s probably genuine. I mean that sincerely. This was the time of highly flammable shell suits, attire that was practically mandatory in some parts of the country. For example, Liverpool had to build a new burns unit...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I still have my '89 Nobo home shirt, and can confirm it's quality is as high as Portlock suggests.

Chafed nipples anyone?

An original Bukta shirt however I still a new level. Like P60 sandpaper inside, a purely ornamental garment. Especially as it's a gnats on the tight side :ohmy:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks for the advice. Sorry if I got the dates wrong, I went by Phil’s Website.

It’s just weird as I have the Yellow NOBO and it’s great fit and quality! Maybe that’s the fake!?!?

Here’s the link to the shirt I’m talking about:
https://www.oldfootballshirts.com/e...ton-and-hove-albion-football-shirt-s6119.html

That’s a Matchworn shirt, and is different to the replica shirt. The badge and Sports Express logo are embroidered on the match shirt, the fans replicas had a heat pressed printed club badge and the Sports Express logo is sublimated (printed) into the pattern on the shirt. The central band with the NOBO logo are stitched in on both the replica and match versions. And the sleeves are a strange, slightly long length on both the replica and the match versions.

The Sports Express brand was one invented by the club, probably made somewhere locally by people who didn’t make football shirts for a living, whereas the yellow one you have was made by a reputable football kit manufacturer, Spall.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Your years are out, the chewit wrapper first worn in 1991 at the play off final. Up until then we’d worn the pink from a distant, ziggy zaggy red and white thin horizontals shirt which was great. So which one you talking? But if the chewit, the logo was a black printed NoBo. For the record, it might be cool now but absolutely everyone thought it was ****ing awful back then and instrumental in our defeat!

Point of order, the black NOBO logo only appeared on that shirt for on game, the play off final. The following seasons that shirt had the embossed TSB sponsor logo.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION], my Bukta shirt has embroidered badge and a white square sewn on the back, with a red No5. It's small 36" I always suspected is was youth, or we had a midget in the squad! IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Hi Everyone,

Never posted before but wanted to ask your advice if possible.

I have recently bought a 'sweetie wrapper' away NOBO shirt for a friends birthday. However, since I have received it I'm worried it's a fake. Does anyone else have one which I can compare?

The main concerning areas are;
- The sleeves are crazy long
- The logo and badge are printed
- The stitching on the inside goes across the middle of the shirt
- It looks like it was made very cheaply

I have a yellow away NOBO and don't have any of the concerns above.

Sorry if I have broken any rules or this isn't meant to be posted here. But any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

:ban:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION], my Bukta shirt has embroidered badge and a white square sewn on the back, with a red No5. It's small 36" I always suspected is was youth, or we had a midget in the squad!View attachment 115676

View attachment 115677

Ooh my goodness, that’s a beauty, mine is a blood shirt, obtained from the old groundsman at the Victoria Ground in Stoke, so no badge on the back. Mine is pretty small too, then again, people were all a little smaller back then.
If you ever fancy selling that, let me know 🙂

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Point of order, the black NOBO logo only appeared on that shirt for on game, the play off final. The following seasons that shirt had the embossed TSB sponsor logo.

Correct - but what the duck do you know about football shirts anyway? :wave:Some sort world authority or something? :mad::O

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

The one I’ve got is the chewit wrapper one but with the TSB logo. Do you know what year that’s from? I thought it was 1991 playoff final year

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s a Matchworn shirt, and is different to the replica shirt. The badge and Sports Express logo are embroidered on the match shirt, the fans replicas had a heat pressed printed club badge and the Sports Express logo is sublimated (printed) into the pattern on the shirt. The central band with the NOBO logo are stitched in on both the replica and match versions. And the sleeves are a strange, slightly long length on both the replica and the match versions.

The Sports Express brand was one invented by the club, probably made somewhere locally by people who didn’t make football shirts for a living, whereas the yellow one you have was made by a reputable football kit manufacturer, Spall.

Just read out your post. Mrs T just said 'You've got to ****ing love someone who knows what they're talking about' :lolol: :bowdown:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The one I’ve got is the chewit wrapper one but with the TSB logo. Do you know what year that’s from? I thought it was 1991 playoff final year

92-93 season, when Raphael Meade he’s got speed used to TERRORISE defences alongside Mark Farrington who terrorised, er, um...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

92-93 season, when Raphael Meade he’s got speed used to TERRORISE defences alongside Mark Farrington who terrorised, er, um...

I believe it was the 91-93 away shirt. The one with NOBO was only used once, the last game, the playoff final in ‘91, it was the last game we played with NOBO as kit sponsor, the next season it changed to TSB.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I believe it was the 91-93 away shirt. The one with NOBO was only used once, the last game, the playoff final in ‘91, it was the last game we played with NOBO as kit sponsor, the next season it changed to TSB.

You can go off people you know. :angry: That’s twice you’ve nutmegged me. :annoyed: You god damned shirt nerd :hilton: Ok, for the hat trick...what percentage was polyester?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Indeed, as far as your second paragraph is concerned l once recall meeting the designer of that said shirt in the club shop in Newtown Road. She was l believe a friend of Margaret Sanderson.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here