Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Naga Munchetty (BBC news reporter)

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Was she right in having a real meltdown in having a go at Donald Trump?

I'm undecided. Trump's attitude towards women is disgraceful most of the time but wow! She really got out on the wrong side of the bed at 4am (?) yesterday (broadcast at 6am). She said that his attitude towards black women had to stop. Most of the time she butts in when a presenter she knows nothing about is on the breakfast show. Dan Walker kept a dignified silence. But Trump's motorgob always lands him in trouble.

I'm on the fence with this one (apologies if this has been covered in the Donald Trump thread).

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not the impartial broadcasting you might expect from the BBC, no.

But given the Beeb now spends part of our licence fee on employing the likes of Rylan and Gemma Collins, there's no hope for the upholding of traditional standards.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jeremy Vine had his tongue so far up her arse on his show that I had to turn the radio off

FWIW I don’t think news programmes should have staff voicing their opinions on the people in the news ( however much I might agree with their views) :shrug:

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I'm undecided. Trump's attitude towards women is disgraceful most of the time but wow! She really got out on the wrong side of the bed at 4am (?) yesterday (broadcast at 6am). She said that his attitude towards black women had to stop. Most of the time she butts in when a presenter she knows nothing about is on the breakfast show. Dan Walker kept a dignified silence. But Trump's motorgob always lands him in trouble.

I'm on the fence with this one (apologies if this has been covered in the Donald Trump thread).

Whereas she has a right to an opinion on the Orange Racist she was at work and therefore did have a responsibility to be professional and not voice it there and then.

Stay quiet during the programme, release a tirade to the press or on social media outside of work (making it clear they are your personal opinions and not those of the BBC, blah blah blah).

The trouble is that he is such an objectional sh1t it is hard not to be infuriated by EVERYTHING that comes out of his mouth.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1177583340616114176[/tweet]

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Victoria Derbyshire's rant on her show describing Trump as racist because he ( according to her ) described migrants as animals and rats seems to have escaped attention .

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Victoria Derbyshire's rant on her show describing Trump as racist because he ( according to her ) described migrants as animals and rats seems to have escaped attention .
Everything she says and does escapes my attention...

....thankfully.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
She’s made that name up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
BBC has to be consistent. They have. But guess what. The liberals left are outraged and demanding change (as long as it suits them) where’s those on the right are, in this instance, well...right. Had they not taken action those same people would be doing what the liberals are howling for now and maybe worse. Just shows how the BBC has changed. It’s always been a political football. I don’t think it can survive because it’s clearly more politically biased, dis representative than once was, it’s anything but impartial now really. It makes more news than reports on some days and here’s another example. A once fine institution has become mauled and manipulated from all sides by people who should known better and forces beyond its control. It’s dying, a slow lingering death that greatly saddens me and many others I know.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Jeremy Vine had his tongue so far up her arse on his show that I had to turn the radio off

FWIW I don’t think news programmes should have staff voicing their opinions on the people in the news ( however much I might agree with their views) :shrug:

He probably thought he was still compering an edition of Eggheads.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
BBC has to be consistent. They have. But guess what. The liberals left are outraged and demanding change (as long as it suits them) where’s those on the right are, in this instance, well...right. Had they not taken action those same people would be doing what the liberals are howling for now and maybe worse. Just shows how the BBC has changed. It’s always been a political football. I don’t think it can survive because it’s clearly more politically biased, dis representative than once was, it’s anything but impartial now really. It makes more news than reports on some days and here’s another example. A once fine institution has become mauled and manipulated from all sides by people who should known better and forces beyond its control. It’s dying, a slow lingering death that greatly saddens me and many others I know.

Maybe not the force it once was for many reasons, but the Beeb is still a great institution in my book.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Strange that Laura Kuenssberg can be a mouth piece for Johnson and escape censure but someone telling the truth is jumped on.

I wonder why that is?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Maybe not the force it once was for many reasons, but the Beeb is still a great institution in my book.

It is, but it’s won’t be as good tomorrow as it is today etc

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Strange that Laura Kuenssberg can be a mouth piece for Johnson and escape censure but someone telling the truth is jumped on.

I wonder why that is?

Laura’s mouthpiece is a constant irritation to many actually.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Dan Walker is a Creationist and as such is an odd choice to cover news and current affairs on BBC Breakfast anyway, how do you cover something like a hurricane or earthquake objectively when you feel a disaster is God's work ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Very true, most media outlets happily nail their colours to the mast and don't give a stuff, the poor old BBC has to tie itself in knots in order to TRY to keep both ends of an argument with equal coverage and then gets shat on from both sides anyway !

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’m with Naga on this one.

Yes the BBC has to remain impartial but Trump is a vile racist prick. I’m not sure how anyone could remain impartial with her heritage after listening to what he said.

There are times when codes of conduct and future precedent should be overtaken by simple common sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It was hardly a meltdown. This was the original comment.

[tweet]1151389038781390848[/tweet]

A complaint was made to the BBC and this is the result.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49825570

Naga Munchetty breached BBC guidelines by criticising President Donald Trump for perceived racism, the corporation's complaints unit has ruled.

In July the BBC presenter took issue with comments made by the US President after he told opponents to "go back" to the "places from which they came".

The BBC said the Breakfast host was entitled to her own views but had gone "beyond what the guidelines allow for".

It said any action taken as a result of the finding would be published later.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some strange posts on this thread.

Of course she's in the wrong. She's a news presenter.

Of course Victoria Derbyshire can deal with the issue differently because her programme is different (albeit she does not delare she hypothesizes). .

Of course gammon can come out with racist comments when interviewed. But they should then be rebutted and not invited back, especially if they are using hate speach, or are inciting violence.

Of course the BBC is impartial. That's why it infuriates placenta-eaters and gammon in equal measure.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some strange posts on this thread.

Of course she's in the wrong. She's a news presenter.

Of course Victoria Derbyshire can deal with the issue differently because her programme is different (albeit she does not delare she hypothesizes). .

Of course gammon can come out with racist comments when interviewed. But they should then be rebutted and not invited back, especially if they are using hate speach, or are inciting violence.

Of course the BBC is impartial. That's why it infuriates placenta-eaters and gammon in equal measure.

A TV presenter or newsreader is not permitted to give their subjective take on third parties in the news whilst in that role. It’s not an editorial.

[Before I’m pigeonholed as right wing, I can’t stand Trump, his policies and IMHO that brand of far right/racist/fascist politics. And Munchetty is an talented, personable presenter].

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here