Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Following Recipies or Cooking Instructions

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I had to share this with someone as I almost shit myself laughing yesterday. And as I work from home and have no one to tell this to anyone yet, so I shall test it on the good folks of NSC

I think its funny but don't want to fall on my arse telling it to others if others might not find it funny.

My niece just had a baby so she invited a few friends round to wet the babies head so to speak. And whilst having a few drinks, she dispenses with the covers on the buffet she had prepared. Most of it almost edible. When her husband pointed to the kitchen and said ''Honey your office'' - Boy was that a big mistake.

I direct my eyes to what looks like potatoes. Already skinned - Lets tell it like it is. They were those potatoes that come already ''canned'' in a tin.

I thinks to myself ''Well can't go wrong here'' - BIG MISTAKE !

I take a bite out of one of them - The crunch was like biting into a turnip straight from the ground on an Scottish October evening.

After checking to make sure that my teeth weren't still stuck in the potato I had just bitten into I says ''Julie, these potatoes are f#ckin raw'' to which she responds ''They shouldn't be. They are out of a tin''

''I know they are Julie but they aren't even cooked'' ……………………… ''You don't need to cook them she says - It says on the tin ''serve hot OR cold'' ''

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have never known tinned potatoes to be uncooked. My sympathies are with Julie.

Shame on you for being rude to her.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t even know you could buy tinned and uncooked potatoes!

I don’t spend much time in the kitchen though and when my wife’s not around I live on take aways. I know, I’m embarrassed :rolleyes:

Anyway I found the story pretty amusing :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have never had tinned potatoes but if the label said eat hot or cold I would have thought they were ready to eat if wanted cold and just a matter of opening the tin and serving.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have never had tinned potatoes but if the label said eat hot or cold I would have thought they were ready to eat if wanted cold and just a matter of opening the tin and serving.

BG...meet Julie :wink:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Actually miss WD bought a quiche last week that said can be eaten hot or cold, are they pre cooked? We cooked it anyway, then had a slice cold, then binned the rest..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have never known tinned potatoes to be uncooked. My sympathies are with Julie.

Me rude to her......You should have heard her response

T'was ''Away and Pee up my kilt ya Nob-edd - Don't f#ckin eat them then, nobody is forcing you''

My family don't take offence easily...…..They are all quite funny

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

LOL

I think your meant to boil them BG and then let them cool

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tinned potatoes. . .shudders . . . . that's worse than smash surely?

only thing I buy in tins is chopped tomatoes and lager!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
LOL

I think your meant to boil them BG and then let them cool

:shrug:

Are canned potatoes already cooked?
Yes, canned potatoes are cooked prior to canning and can be eaten straight from the can or heated. A cooking and blanching process is used to kill any bacteria present on the vegetables before they are canned and vacuum sealed. Potatoes must be heated to 240 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit before they are canned

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I prefer to make fully informed holistic decisions. Can you therefore post a photo of your niece so I can decide who to blame.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I prefer to make fully informed holistic decisions. Can you therefore post a photo of your niece so I can decide who to blame.

I'm already sold, regardless of how she looks. She sounds absolutely charming.

''Away and Pee up my kilt ya Nob-edd - Don't f#ckin eat them then, nobody is forcing you''

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Ex-Wife was a big fan of canned Potatoes, also Marrowfat Peas and Sweetcorn ( canned ) , not very good with vegetable prep or indeed, vegetables full stop. Canned stuff usually just needs warming up.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was hospitalised recently due to cooking a can of potatoes. The instructions said "Pierce lid and stand in boiling water for five minutes."

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm with Julie on this. You need to get more actual friends(can be lonely working from home), they will be able to gauge if you were correct in upsetting this poor woman

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here