Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Road tax question.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I am changing my car today, and I pay on monthly direct debit, on the first of the month. My question is, do I cancel the DD at the bank, do the DVLT do it when they receive the V5, or is there some other way it’s sorted out? My new car is a lot ‘ greener’ and only takes a small tax that I will pay in one payment.

Thank you.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Cancel the DD with the bank, and also notify DVLA.

Even if DVLA drag their heels you'll get a letter to say "the road tax payment hasn't been received and your road tax will be invalid, and you should... oh, now we've got your notification, forget what we've just said.."

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I changed my car recently - notified DVLA of sale and purchase all done online - nothing to post,

Mine was different because "I'm seriously more wealthy than yew", I paid annually. DVLA round-up [in their favour} to the nearest full-month [part-month not recognised], so you will pay tax on both vehicles in the month you transact.
I wouldn't cancel the DD as they will then have to set up another one - I assume they can use your same details, but just change the reg-no and amount?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm almost at the point where all my vehicles are old, exempt and free.

Next step is to get them to pay me for using stylish transport for everyone to look at, which cheers them up, in these days of doom gloom and plastic mediocrity.

The second bit may be a bit harder.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Into double figures . . .we don't want NSC to crash again on a Friday afternoon.

ladas-lined-up-ready-for-export-picture-id539774282

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm almost at the point where all my vehicles are old, exempt and free.

Next step is to get them to pay me for using stylish transport for everyone to look at, which cheers them up, in these days of doom gloom and plastic mediocrity.

The second bit may be a bit harder.

I've just worked out that I have another 5K to pay before mine becomes tax exempt :eek:

Still, at least I've got to the where the insurance is less than the tax ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've just worked out that I have another 5K to pay before mine becomes tax exempt :eek:

Still, at least I've got to the where the insurance is less than the tax ???

The only advantage I can see to being well over 40 is cheaper insurance.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The only advantage I can see to being well over 40 is cheaper insurance.

But the buggers always get you one way or another. My daughter's cat (which I noticed stayed with us when she moved out) costs me more in insurance than my own big cat :wink:

(I always wanted a Lotus Cortina Mk 1. My dream car when I was young)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Our dog has been told to drive carefully, pet insurance is bonkers money, hearstring pulling crooks who run that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here