Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Popmaster

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Am I a cynic to think plenty of participants shazam or google the answers?

Love trying to guess the answers though, unmissable radio for me

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm sure many will have a book of hit singles plus access to the internet to get answers.
I'm hit and miss on points as I always get questions on anything to do post 2000 wrong but ace the earlier stuff.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
The moment he says 60's or 70's I just give up on the question. I was either a twinkle in my Dad's eye, or shitting my nappies at the time so wasn't too focused on the charts, apart from my weight and feeding ones.

80's - I rarely get one wrong. 90's I'm pretty good at. I got 'Candy Flip' this morning because my (female) house mate at the time had shagged the keyboard player before he was 'famous'. Her look of jealousy mixed with disdain when he appeared on Top of the Pops was a picture. :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I a cynic to think plenty of participants shazam or google the answers?
Google would be weird, as people would be typing and distracted, and sometimes come up with answers that don't make sense. Shazam I guess would be easier to get away with, as it'll just show the song title, but I think generally you can tell the good ones know their stuff.

Love trying to guess the answers though, unmissable radio for me
I listen to it regularly, but I'm bloody awful at it, so it is quite missable.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Google would be weird, as people would be typing and distracted, and sometimes come up with answers that don't make sense. Shazam I guess would be easier to get away with, as it'lla just show the song title, but I think generally you can tell the good ones know their stuff.

I listen to it regularly, but I'm bloody awful at it, so it is quite missable.

I have done this with others in the office doing the googling, very easy to pull off. We have joked about phoning in and seeing how we’d do cheating like this :smile:

Not cheating I tend to get 12 to 20, anything post 1980 does for me

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have done this with others in the office doing the googling, very easy to pull off.
I'm disappointed in you. So following your dummy run, have you found that it works with just two of you?

We have joked about phoning in and seeing how we’d do cheating like this :smile:
Joked? Many crimes start like that. Sounds like you've been testing the water to see if your scummy colleagues are willing to cheat with you :angry:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not cheating I tend to get 12 to 20, anything post 1980 does for me
I'll do this morning's one now. I'll be disappointed with 0 and happy with 6.

Right - I've done the first lot - don't think much of 'middles'.
For Nick Cave & Kylie I thought it was something about a rose, but couldn't remember the title.
For 2003 I guessed 2005. Not even 1 year out (although better than his 1999 nonsense).
I scored...
3 points. Thanks to The Human League.

I know :(

Round 2:
15 points! That's practically a record for me, thanks to a couple of easy bonus questions.
Girls on Film :facepalm: Didn't he know Hungry Like the Wolf was on Rio :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm disappointed in you. So following your dummy run, have you found that it works with just two of you?

Joked? Many crimes start like that. Sounds like you've been testing the water to see if your scummy colleagues are willing to cheat with you :angry:

The chances of us actually phoning in is zilch. Just an exercise in proving how easy it is to cheat and I reckon quite a few do. Working out who is cheating is part of the fun of listening to the programme :smile:

I’ll pass your comments on to my scummy colleagues though :thumbsup:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Me and my mate have a spreadsheet and never miss a day. Thank Cliff for BBC sounds. We've both had holidays recently so are catching up, 12 PM's behind now. We done 2 today and I beat him 2-0 on both counts. Get in!
We work together, different area, so Skype each other. No Shazamming allowed. Here is part of today's Skype transcript (PM from 10th Sept.)

Bill 10:46:
go
McDonald 10:47:
go
McDonald 10:51:
Bill 10:51:
McDonald 10:51:
First 2 bonii
Bill 10:52:
only got the second
McDonald 10:52:
Year spot on
Bill 10:52:
went 5 years too soon
McDonald 10:52:
Year Elvis died is always a good go
Bill 10:53:
thought it was before then, but obvs not
McDonald 10:53:
Yes, he's gone for 70's covers
Bill 10:53:
good
but could be our downfall too
ready
McDonald 10:53:
Aye
ready
go
Bill 10:54:
go
Hissssssssssssssss
Bill 10:58:
FFS
McDonald 10:58:
Bill 10:59:
and no bonus
McDonald 10:59:
Last bonus only.
1 year out
I knew Linda Lewis but not in time so nil
2 years out
0 in 10
0 in 10
What kind of a question was that Mud one

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Don`t think i`ve ever thought a contestant was cheating, it would be too obvious.

Some of the people who get 39 are just plain anoraks, if you listen to Champions League in December it`s scary some of their knowledge.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Yep, the Champions League players are freaks.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Love playing along as I believe my general music knowledge is good - but I know if I tried to get on, I’d nause it right up!
I was born in 75, but my dad’s vast music collection educated me do much I reckon my 60s knowledge is better than anything I know about music post 1999

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe we should have a daily NSC popmaster poll to see who gets the highest scores and has the widest musical knowledge :smile:

Obviously NSCers wouldn’t cheat either

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When me and Pickles work together he insists on quiet when Popmaster comes on.
His speciality is anything with McCartney in.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There was definitely something going on in that first round today.

I thought it might be but bar a couple of apparent phone glitches he was answering very quickly. Fecking annoying laugh though!

I did wonder if you could type very quickly whether it would be possible to answer almost instantly. The only question I thought he was cheating on was the one where the answer was Call Me

He was only 23 ...or so he said :smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here